Flyby Spud

High refresh rate monitors

Postby gregorov_14 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Has anyone used one of the 120/144Hz monitors for gaming? Do they really make gaming that much better? I was thinking of buying another monitor for gaming/work, but to get all the features I want, I'm left with a monitor that costs $700-800 (QHD/1440p, IPS, G-Sync, 144Hz, 27"). I could easily save a few hundred if I drop either the IPS or the 144Hz, but wanted to find out if anyone had experience with the high refresh rate to see if that is a feature worth having.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Runner

Re: High refresh rate monitors

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:42 pm

I got a couple of 120hz monitors years ago when I was reviewing NVIDIA 3D Vision stuff, but I don't think I'd go and pay extra just for the high refresh rate. You still need the beefy hardware to run your games at 100+ FPS for it to display, and to be honest I've never been a huge fan of the uncanny fluidity game motion has once you pass about 80... If I can play stuff with at least a solid 40-50 fps, I'm perfectly content, so a 144hz screen would be pointless for me. It is definitely a lot smoother in everyday usage of Windows, though, and I notice the sluggishness there in the mouse pointer movement and whatnot when I look at a 60hz screen now.

Flyby Spud

Re: High refresh rate monitors

Postby gregorov_14 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:55 am

Good to know. Maybe I'll see if I can test one out somewhere before potentially buying one. I'm not in a huge rush right now as I don't need one yet, but perhaps next month when I might need it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to Hardware