Spud Runner
Site Admin

Laptop Suggestions

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:51 pm

My sister is looking for a new laptop, so I'd appreciate some suggestions. She has a budget of around $500-$700, but the cheaper the better. The only programs she really needs to run are Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Quickbooks, and obviously a web browser. She uses an external hard drive for backup and storage, so more RAM and a faster processor are preferred over a larger hard drive. She used her old laptop daily, so she needs something that will hold up under frequent use.

Thanks, spuds!

Flyby Spud

Re: Laptop Suggestions

Postby gregorov_14 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:07 pm

I'd recommend a Dell laptop in the cheaper range of $500, then spend $100 or so to get an SSD upgrade. Based on the expected usage, a Core i3 is more than sufficient for that, and adding the SSD will simply make it work better.

In fact, based on slickdeals today, here's a good start. Dell Inspiron 15.6" touchscreen i7 12GB ram The only drawback is the screen resoulution (1366x768).

If desired, you can add in something like this SSD (yes, I'm biased towards Crucial, nothing related to me working at Micron). It's not necessary, but it would stay in budget and improve the general performance and boot time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Well shucks, looks like that deal might be dead. If the resolution is fine, there are other Dell laptops at Best Buy for < $500. If resolution is a concern, I'd suggest looking to get one with at least 1600x900 if you can find one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks, greg! Looks like there's a new deal. It's now on sale for $650. Looks like a good deal, but it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive. I think she may need that. I'll ask her.

Return to Hardware