Spud Raider

Problem hooking up third monitor using HDMI

Postby Ronin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Hey guys, I have an odd problem that (of course) I can't find the solution to in my manual or online. Maybe you can help:

I have a GTX 760 graphics card and I have two 24" monitors hooked up to it and they work great. My computer is in our basement where our home theater is and I want to hook it up to my projector via HDMI. I used to run my projector all the time using my GTX 760 and having the projector as monitor 2 and I'd mirror them. But last Fall I unplugged the projector and added the second desktop monitor. I want to be able to watch movies and other video content on the projector without having to unplug my second desktop monitor and switching them so I am trying to use the onboard HDMI to run the projector as a third monitor with no luck.

I am running Windows 7 and under display options when I detect on the two 24"s show up. Under the display tab it does say " available display output on: Intel HD Graphics 4600 but when I click the multiple displays tab it gives me either: no display detected and then I can drop down to three options;

try to connect anyway:
on VGA
on mobile PC display
on VGA

No HDMI option exists. I went into the BIOS and confirmed onboard graphics are enabled.

I am running a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 motherboard. I flashed the BIOS in September of 2015 but I haven't checked for an update since but I doubt that's it.

If i worse comes to worse I can unplug the second monitor and use the GTX 760 again but I'd rather not have to do that every time we wanted to watch something. Thanks for the help.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Re: Problem hooking up third monitor using HDMI

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Why not just use the ports on the GTX760? It should have 4 monitor connections on it (2x DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort).

If you are currently using the HDMI port, then just pickup a DVI to HDMI adapter or a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (The display port adapter may need to be an active adapter to work as Displayport doesn't use the HDMI protocol like DVI does.):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... VI+to+HDMI

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... rt+or+hdmi
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Postby quietenigma » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:57 am

Could he also just plug the projector to his onboard video?

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:44 pm

So we got it working and watched Enders Game and Mission Impossible 3 last night.

Turns out you need to have the HDMI cord plugged into the Projector as well as into the computer!

Seriously; that was it. The cord wasn't plugged into the projector. Very embarrassing!!
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Return to Hardware