Spud Raider

So does ASUS suck on RAM or is it me???

Postby Ronin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:10 pm

So I am doing this whole RAM / GPU upgrades for both my kids' PCs and I am now having the same *&^%$# issue with the second Kid's PC! I put in my four 4GB sticks of DDR3 RAM and only 8Gb shows up!!! He has an ASUS P7H55 M Pro motherboard so that's TWO ASUS motherboards in a ROW with this issue of half the RAM being recognized.

For the older kid I went on Newegg and bought him an 8GB kit (2x 4gb) for under $50 that came straight out of the motherboard manual and it should be here late this week. It had better work. (or I'll write another harshly worded post!)

The upside is that the first of the two GTX 760s that I bought installed without issue.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider

Re: So does ASUS suck on RAM or is it me???

Postby Ronin » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:22 am

Guess what!?!?!

It's the RAM!!!! It wasn't me (or my PCs) after all! The RAM was marked as 4gb per stick but was actually just 2.
Thank goodness I used Paypal as they have a terrific support system for unhappy buyer. The seller offered me an 18% refund. So I got 50% less RAM and they offered me 18%??? Obviously I turned them down buyt the fact that as soon as I said the RAM was wrong they didn't deny it or ask for more proof (other than my screen shots) leads me to believe that they knew it was wrong when they shipped it.

Anyways, it's not ASUS!!!
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Where did you buy the memory from? That's some shady business practice there.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Shamefully answers: eBay.

In my defense they guy's been on ebay since 2010 with a 100% positive feedback rating. Oh well.

It's the 18% refund that gets me!!! ugh

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Oh wow, lol. Don't take that crap from him, PayPal will give you a 100% refund no problem. They have the most lenient buyer protection policies ever, they'll give refunds even if you don't have a good reason, but straight-up fraud is a GREAT reason. Obviously make sure to give him bad feedback once all is said and done, but he might even deserve some penalty from eBay beyond that...

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 am

I love Paypal because of their consumer protection; they are definitely consumer oriented. I ended up getting more than a 50% discount and kept the RAM so I guess it ends well. And the troubleshooting process is good practice for an old guy like me who doesn't tinker around enough.

The upside is I told my wife about the original cost so now the refund is all mine to squander!

Return to Hardware