Spud Raider

RAM / Video Card upgrade tips

Postby Ronin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:24 pm

So you've already seen the problems I had with the first kid's RAM upgrade. I am hope to upgrade the second kid's gear this weekend. He has an i7 875k, ASUS P7H55 M Pro motherboard with 4GB RAM, & an XFX 5850. I have a GTX 760 card and more RAM I will probably just give him all 16 GB of Corair RAM since his brother can't use it and it's all matching. First question: do I need to do anything to the pagesys file? When I added RAM to the other PC I got BSOD referencing that & I think I will have to wipe and start from scratch.

Question 2: when should I do the video card? at the same time, before the RAM or after? I just did a fresh Windows 7 64bit install about a month ago and I REALLY don't want to go through that again for him! Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Re: RAM / Video Card upgrade tips

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:00 pm

I'd get the RAM installed first. Its the most likely to have potential issues so best to get those out of the way and not have to duplicate any work.

You could also avoid any potential issues with the existing windows install by doing a test boot into a live cd environment first to see if the RAM is working and recognized properly:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Return to Hardware