Spud Raider

weird RAM problem

Postby Ronin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Ok guys. I am having an odd RAM issue that I am not having much luck fixing.

The new RAM is DDR3 1600. The motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77 V LE and this issue is not unique to me: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... am.175403/ is just about identical.

I was upgrading my son's PC from 4GB RAM (2 x 2 sticks) to 8gb for Rainbow 6 Siege and some other reasons ( mostly your recommendations here. The RAM arrived and I installed it into the same two slots and CPU Z & Speccy show it as just 4GB total. BUT it still showed as Dual channel and both sticks showed up in CPU-Z individually.I tried the other slots and still had the same problem. I upgraded to the latest BIOS but it stayed the same.

BUT HERE'S THE REAL PROBLEM: I bought four 4GB sticks so I could get both my kids' PCs to 8GB RAM. So I installed all 16GB RAM in the P8Z77 board (knowing that I would only get 8GB) and figured I'd solve it later. All 4 slots filled and the 16GB RAM shows up as 8 & I could deal with that but it started crashing; BSOD. The page sys file was messed up since the amount of RAM had changed. So I went in and set it to ZERO and rebooted ( I read that setting it to zero and then back to normal should fix the problem) It didn't work. I set it to a custom 12205mb and it still froze. BUT NOW!!! I can't use system restore because some how the changing page sys deleted my restore points as my plan was to go back to the original 4GB of RAM.

So even if I do a fresh windows 7 install (which is looking pretty likely) I still will only have half the RAM. Any thoughts on getting this figured out? The computers are a big part of our life ( & Christmas) & my son is near panicked that he has the day off school tomorrow & no PC! ( He can use mine but I don't have all of the games & it just isn't the same)
I'd really appreciate any input and feel free to give me grief for doing this in such a half-assed way as to not have a proper backup & such. Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Re: weird RAM problem

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:04 am

From what that thread was stating, re-seating the CPU might fix the issue. It seems stupid, but it could work (albeit, annoying). One other option is to go back to the 2x2 GB sticks and see if you get 4GB again or if it's getting 2GB. If you do get the full 4GB, it could just be the memory is somehow not supported. If no go there, then it sounds like it's a motherboard issue, at which point you're looking at either sending it back to Asus or even needing to buy a new board.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider

Re: weird RAM problem

Postby Ronin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:47 pm

So, I guess those long & boring 'RAM compatibility' buried in motherboard manuals have a use after all! I tried every combination of RAM / Slots I could come up with, I cleared the CMOS, I pulled & reseated the CPU & still nothing. I went back to the old RAM 2GB x 2 sticks and it worked fine.

I guess I will have to do some research on what to buy. Ugh.. (any suggestions?) The new RAM is fairly decent Corsair DDR3 and I am amazed it doesn't work right. My only hope is that it will work in his brother's ASUS P7H55 M Pro motherboard so I can still put it to use. Live and learn I guess.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Return to Hardware