Spud Raider

Fallout 4 hardware upgrade advice needed

Postby Ronin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:20 am

Ok, so I broke down and got my youngest son Fallout 4 (because all his friends are playing it; at least he's not playing it on a console) and we're experiencing some lag issues. Here are his spec's from Speccy:

Windows 7 64 bit (fresh install earlier this week with a small SSD for the OS and a 1TB drive for the game)
i7 875K (not overclocked but I am thinking about it)
4gb RAM DDR3 @534mhz 7-7-7-20
Asus P7H55 M Pro motherboard lga 1156
XFX 5850 1gb GPU

I'm running a GTX 760 GPU and am thinking of 'bumping' it down to him and buying a new one. Or maybe just spending $100 on a new GPU for him and putting up the 5850 on ebay. I am really not in a position to do a complete rebuild but I can spend up to $150 or so. I'd appreciate your input so we don't have to install it on my PC (in which case I'll never get it back!)
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Re: Fallout 4 hardware upgrade advice needed

Postby quietenigma » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Another stick of ram and the 760 would help. Also have you tried turning it off and on again? Or blowing on the cartridge before putting it back in?

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:06 pm

You can safely overclock that CPU to around 3.7 GHz which should help. And 8 GB of RAM should be a minimum for today's games. Be sure to get the same RAM that your son currently uses. If you can't find it you should just buy an 8 GB kit that you can find for like $50. The 5850 will still be able to do the job but you should def treat yourself this Christmas and get a GTX 970 or something and bump the 760 down. For $150 you can get a GTX 950 if you'd rather go that route, which is comparable to the GTX 760.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:43 pm

quietenigma wrote:... Also have you tried turning it off and on again? Or blowing on the cartridge before putting it back in?

HaHaHaHa!!! if only it were that easy! I tried explaining that the Fallout 4 is totally optimized for the XboxOne and it isn't better looking on the PC but he doesn't quite believe me.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Well part of appeal is the incredible amount of modding support Bethesda's games have. He'll definitely want it on PC.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 pm

So looks like I am going to upgrade his (&his brother's) RAM and get a new video card. It has been forever since I've overclocked anything as HardwareGuy has done my overclocking for like the last 3 years at Fragweekend. I might see if I can remember how though.

I do want him to get some cool mods just so that he can show off to the console guys too!

Return to Hardware