Flyby Spud

Computer needs power button pressed twice

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I have an interesting problem. Last night when I went to turn on my PC, I noticed that I had to press the power button twice to boot to Windows. It first showed the BIOS screen, then black screen, then power was cut. Pressing it again everything works as it should and no further issues arise. Have any of you had that happen? I thought of a few ideas of what it could be, but have so far none have worked.

1) I had recently re-installed Alcohol 120% (a really old but still updated image maker - its specialty is making image files for games way before steam), so I thought that might be the issue. After a quick uninstall, didn't solve the issue, so I just re-installed it.
2) Possible, but seems unlikely. I used DOSBox to install Windows 3.1 to play an old 16 bit game that required the Windows environment, but I'm thinking it's not the issue as it was working for several days and I hadn't had an issue until recently.
3) Windows 10 had some obscure update that is causing the issue
4) Some other unknown issue that I may never find, but will just live with for the time being.
5) BIOS - I did just update it this morning thinking that could be the issue, but so far, doesn't appear so.

Any suggestions are welcome, but for now it seems like a minor inconvenience. I'll see what I can find on the Internet,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyby Spud

Re: Computer needs power button pressed twice

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:23 pm

A couple of things I plan on trying tonight.

1) try booting to my other hard drive which still has Windows 7 installed on it and see if that's the issue (could confirm W10 issue)
2) running a memory check test via bootable usb of some sort (any suggestions?)
3) suggestion by a co-worker as an idea of what could be causing it (and possibly seen with option 1) - W10 has some bad driver for the SSD and finds a failed boot and boots into a "safe state" and boots fine, but then the next time it goes back to normal driver and fails again.

Also, restarting works just fine, haven't had an issue with that yet. My guess is either a W10 issue, driver issue, or the memory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:19 pm

I recently had this problem and it was a physical problem with the power switch on my case. It is very thin, like the profile of a dime and the bracket that holds it is very tight. It is a terrible button design as it sits flush and you have to depress it with a fingernail.

Some 'gunk' (no doubt from one of my kids') got in and when the button was depressed it wasn't springing back fast enough and the extra second of connection was forcing a recycle of the boot menu. A good cleaning straightened it out. But it wasn't until I did all of the usual software checks that I figured out what the problem was.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Weird. Seems like my PC is behaving properly again, or if there is an issue, it's Windows 10, as I booted to Windows 7 just fine. Granted, my mouse and keyboard weren't working, but it's also my old install of Windows 7 using my AMD processor. I'll see if it persists, but looks like it's all better again.

Edit: Spoke too soon. While it did boot to Windows 7 w/o powering off like it does with Windows 10, it's still doing the whole shut down once and power back up. I'll try a few other ideas, but it doesn't seem like it's the power button either (pretty much it's a brand new case).

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 am

After some testing, it seems to be the BIOS. Hitting F12 to select my ssd worked w/o issue (even though it is the default device to boot on). Then turning on fast boot and the Windows 8 OS boot option (and more likely just the fast boot) cleared up the issue. Have only tried the fast boot once though, but might as well use it.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 pm

I have to thank the Windows 10 Fall update for officially solving the problem. For whatever reason the fall update was more of an "upgrade" it essentially re-installed Windows, or something like that, and now my power button issue is no longer an issue. Kinda glad for that, because I really didn't want to do the Reset PC option.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Hurray! Well at least its working for you now. :)
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Return to Hardware