Flyby Spud

I grew a pair and might build a computer still. Calling SP

Postby SuperCharge » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Meh, I was really scared of desktop computers after what happened, with me getting the defective power supply and all. But I'm getting over it.

So I'm thinking about going with an A10-7870k. But I have a question...

When should one get one and when shouldn't they? I mean if you want a high-end gaming desktop and are spending $1000, something like a GTX 970 will clearly be better, but what if you are in the market for a GTX 750 (non-Ti)?

The GTX 750 is still better, but is it worth the bigger case to accommodate it? Is it worth paying a few extra bucks on the power supply? Is it worth installing an extra set of drivers for?

Second question. Can you use a SSD as your main drive and have it last with some longetivity?

Without further ado, here is what I'm thinking...

A10-7870K processor
Xigmatech Nebula MITX case
2133MHz DDR3 RAM, 8GB, to be decided on
MSI A88XI AC V2 MITX motherboard
256GB SSD to be decided on
430Watt Corsair modular power supply?
Windows 10 (A real life friend, knowing that I wanted to boycott it, DARED me to try it)

I believe I'll buy the PC from NCIXUS and have them build it. That way if there is a lemon, they replace the part before they send it to you. No sending stuff back, no RMAs, pretty much. And this service only costs $50.

I really like the Xigmatech Nebula case. Is there anything smaller that's better though? And at the NCIXUS site? I want a MITX that's on the small to medium size. For a MITX even.

There are so many things I want to do with this computer but I'll have to cut corners on this budget of $650-$700 of mine. I want to play Dying Light, but that requires more GPU power. So I would drop down to a HDD to pay for it. Well now my general use performance is too slow for me. (I have tried a SSD computer before and loved it) There is just no winning. But I still think I can get by on a 7870K with integrated if I have to.

Thoughts? I could talk computers for hours and hours.

Flyby Spud

Re: I grew a pair and might build a computer still. Calling

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm zeroing in more and here is what I have: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hqNwbv

Laugh at my build.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:24 am

The latest selection you have is a much better choice.

When I first read over your initial response I immediately thought 2133Mhz memory? That's a waste on this machine. But looks like you went back down to 1600Mhz memory with the latest setup.

Do you plan to pick up a graphics card at some point down the road? Keep in mind the integrated graphics on this process (while decent for integrated) isn't very powerful. So you will end up running games a lower setting quite frequently.

Also what kind of monitor are you pairing this with?
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am

Hi Zero,

I know this sounds crazy, but you actually do preferably want 2133MHz memory for an APU machine. Graphics cards and even integrated graphics are extremely sensitive to memory bandwidth. You will easily gain 10 percent performance by getting 2133MHz over 1600MHz. Look up "7850k memory scaling".

That being said, I might still save the 20 bucks by going with DDR3 1600MHz. I imagine the 2133MHz gets hot and who knows, might even make the motherboard get hotter. Not sure on that one.

On my latest selection, I can pick up a beefy graphics card if I want to. The case has the room for it.

Also, I was planning a 1920x1080 monitor and scaling down on games if necessary.

Return to Hardware