Flyby Spud

Headset or microphone, or stick with what I got

Postby gregorov_14 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:26 pm

After a fantastic gaming weekend at Smitty's place, I've come to the conclusion that I should probably get a proper headset (or microphone) for my pc for frag nights (currently using a webcam microphone). Problem is, I already have a decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 555), and as far as I can tell, my webcam's mic works just fine. Main reason I was thinking about getting one was because I don't really like push to talk, and with my webcam, it picks up lots of sounds that can be distracting. Any thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider

Re: Headset or microphone, or stick with what I got

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:23 pm

A stick mic will be cheaper, may have better quality (some headsets have mediocre mics), and you won't have to worry about downgrading your sound quality. You already have a great pair of cans, it would be a shame to replace them for a headset.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:28 pm

I've looked this up a bunch of times and the conclusion is always the same: If you're like me and have multiple pairs of expensive headphones and so simply aren't willing to buy yet another pair of cans just to get a set with a mic you have three options 1)Buy the Zalman ZM-Mic1, or an Antlion Audio Modmic, or buy a stick mic, break it out of the base and slap it on the headphones in some kind of ghetto make-shift mic holder contraption. While I wait for my Modmic to come in I have a stick mic (the adjustable kind with the flexible goose neck) taped to my headphones. It cost $10 and works just fine.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:48 pm

I was just regaling everyone on the last Frag Nite about my awesome microphone set up:

http://imgur.com/TfSr3tU

I bought the mike off eBay from Taiwan for $1.90 DELIVERED! It was worth the month wait.The empty water bottle was free from my recycling bin and I used about a dime's worth of cheap duct tape from Harbor Freight. I save my Gorilla Tape for important stuff. and there's also about 3 cents worth of rock salt that I use on my driveway to give it some weight. Sadly the salt was my second try. First was water and after a measly 5 minutes I spilled it.

I haven't yet applied for a patent so feel free to copy this wonderful setup.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:13 pm

With the frequency that I end up needing the mic, my current setup will suffice. I like the idea of a better microphone so I needn't use push to talk, but with such infrequent usage, I think I'll live with what I have. Ronin's idea doesn't look bad either, given the price.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Fri May 15, 2015 2:06 am

I got my ModMic a few weeks ago and the thing is basically perfect. What it is is a mic on a flexible neck attached to a little earth magnet. It comes with two bases, which are also earth magnets with sticky backs. You stick the base onto any pair of headphones (you can buy the bases separately so that you can essentially make any and all of your headphones usable with the mic) then connect the mic to the base via the magnetic hold.

From what people I've used the mic with have told me it sounds really good on their ends. Because it easily detaches from any headphones, you can have it on or off whenever you want, you can flip it up out of the way if you want, and since the base is small you never have to worry about the headphones themselves needing to have the base removed.

Here's a random YouTube video of it.

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Tue May 26, 2015 10:43 am

Invested a while back:

Ok... Maybe I went a little crazy...

No real regrets though.

-dolynick

Return to Hardware