Spud Raider

new modem suggestions??

Postby Ronin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:24 pm

I just upgraded my internet speed to 30mbps/ down 2 up on Time Warner Cable. I think I am renting my current modem from them for like 9 bucks a month. I know someone told me to buy my own but I must have bumped it from my Amazon wishlist and now I don't know what to buy.

Currently I'm using a Ubee DDW365 made by our good friends in Vietnam. I have it connected to a Belkin N600 Router for my wired & wireless network.

Thanks for the input.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider

Re: new modem suggestions??

Postby Ronin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:29 pm

WEIRD PROBLEM TO ADD:

I upgraded our internet to 'Extreme' (30mbps) from Standard (15mbps) today, for an extra $15 a month. When I plugged my brand new computer in directly to the modem I was speed testing at only 13.5 down. After an hour on the phone with Time Warner Cable ( and four escalations as they couldn't figure it out) they suggested I get a new modem on Monday. This modem was replaced 2 months ago. On a whim I did the speed test from my son's PC and low & behold I got 34mbps down 3 times in a row. I went back to my PC, cleared my internet cache, reloaded my LAN drivers, and even tried a different ethernet cable and still only get 13.5 down.

My other son's PC also got 34 down, so why would my brand new PC stay 'stuck ' at the old speed? Here's the link I'm testing from:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/suppo ... -test.html

When the test first starts for me it gets in the high 20s but just for a second and then drops.
As an added bonus my up speed is also stuck at 1.0 while the other PCs have close to 5 up.

Am I missing something????
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:00 pm

That is strange. I wonder if your computer isn't negotiating the port speed/duplex settings correctly.

With your computer connected to the modem, what does it show your network interface speed is?

You can view this in the nic configuration:

Device Manager -> Right click on NIC and choose Properties -> Then go to the Advanced TAB and look for a Speed/Duplex setting and see what they report.

They should be reporting 1000Mbps (or 1Gbps) and Full duplex.

Regards,
Garrett H.
SoftLayer ACS
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Well if you do decide to get a new modem, this is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB ... B004XC6GJ0

It's pretty awesome, without being crazy expensive as some of them are. It'll pay for itself in about half a year of not renting one at the price it's going for now. There is an updated version (SB6141, four more downstream channels) that costs a bit more, but its unnecessary unless your speeds are in the neighborhood of 150mbps or higher. I pull 125mbps down from the SB6121 no problem... I actually am looking to invest in a gigabit router here soon, lol, to be able to make use of that extra 25% speed!

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks for the advice guys. The modem is ordered. and I'll check those speeds tonight Zero; thanks for those instructions.

I wasted sunday watching Amazon Prime video on the new Roku ( which is awesome BTW) and hardly did any computer stuff except help my father in law get his AOL back up and running. Yes you read that right, my in-laws spend $20 for AOL which is NOT their Internet Service ( They have Time Warner Cable internet like me)

I did get a chance to use my newly created PC TOOLS usb drive so I looked like a pro getting rid of like 6 tool bars, 3 viruses, 2 antivirus programs & 1 redirect worm!

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Ronin wrote:I did get a chance to use my newly created PC TOOLS usb drive so I looked like a pro getting rid of like 6 tool bars, 3 viruses, 2 antivirus programs & 1 redirect worm!

Watch out, you're setting a dangerous precedent. They may expect you to be able to fix a lot more now. ;)

Just remember the sysadmin diagram:

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 pm

ZeroGuardian wrote:
Ronin wrote:I did get a chance to use my newly created PC TOOLS usb drive so I looked like a pro getting rid of like 6 tool bars, 3 viruses, 2 antivirus programs & 1 redirect worm!

Watch out, you're setting a dangerous precedent. They may expect you to be able to fix a lot more now. ;)

Just remember the sysadmin diagram:

The funny thing is my brother in law ( their son) works at IBM doing something incredibly technical and obscure with Lotusnotes. I know way more about hardware and home computing than he does yet they always default to him but I think they asked me because they didn't want to wait until Christmas ( when my brother in law is coming) to fix it.

as far as my problem goes the speed/duplex was set to full auto. I forced it 100mbps full duplex ( the highest available setting) rebooted and got the same results: it starts in the mid twenties and falls to 13.39. I know the higher internet speed is available for everyone else. My son was getting a game off Steam at about 4mpbs and we used to get about 900k. and we have yet to face buffering on Netflix but it is odd that my brand new PC isn't right.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:37 am

Wait... your NICs highest setting is 100Mbps? What motherboard do you have?

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:56 pm

Zero,

I have the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 3 ATX. I downloaded the new network drivers (Bigfoot, if I recall right) I went into the speed option like you described and the highest speed selection was the 100mbps full duplex so that's what I tried although there is literally NO difference on the speed test.

To me the odd part is that for the first second it 'pops' to 25mbps down or so and then rapidly drops. When I used to get 15 down it wouldn't spike like that. I might need a bigger magnet. ( that's what I always tell people when they have a weird computer problem)

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:05 pm

That's weird that you don't have 1000Mbps / Full duplex as an option. Your motherboard has a gigabit ethernet port.

Does the connection light on the Modem go to a different color when you change the port speeds or versus when your son's computer is plugged in?

Also, have you tried going through a router and seeing if your system performs better there? I'm wondering if the Modem is negotiating incorrectly with your motherboard for some reason.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:12 am

So I got my new modem installed tonight, I bought the recommended SURFBoard 6121 by Arris for $70. The best part was Time Warner Cable didn't give me any grief and it only took about 10 minutes to do the switch over. (Thanks Jacob!)

I am STILL having that weird speed test issue but only on my my PC. The slowest PC with the 5850 got 29.33 down and 5.82 up. Compare that to my 13.4 down .98 up.

I uploaded it to Facebook to link it. https://www.facebook.com/dan.desrochers ... 436&type=1

I am trying to share this from Facebook so I'm not sure if it works. Notice the graph how it spikes and then levels off; very odd.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:37 pm

I would have to friend request to you view that link. Maybe try making that particular picture public or upload elsewhere.

I've tried to think of a solution to the odd speeds on your computer and it's rather perplexing. I do have the same motherboard, but am using a wireless card due to not being by my router. Then again, the speed I pay for is basically what you're uploading (~13 Mbps down, 784 kbps up). I've thought about switching to cable for 50 Mbps, which I might do sometime in the next few months due to price increases that were announced...

Back on topic, couple things to check - BIOS and driver updates from gigabyte's site would be the easy way to see if it would fix the issue (only do the BIOS though if needed). Based on what I see on their download page, I'd try the following updates.

Intel INF installation
Intel Management Engine Interface
BigFoot LAN driver (pretty sure you said you tried this though)

Hopefully one of those will solve the issue, but if not, there's probably some other wonky setting somewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Here's the pic: (sorry for the hassle)

http://i.imgur.com/xBA9Cgl.jpg

I did do the Bigfoot drivers but I haven't flashed the BIOS but that might me the next step. It's really not hurting anything; I have internet access and I know that my network at least is benefiting from the speed increase but it's just the point of the issue that I want more speed, like all of us. I will check the BIOS tonight when I get home from work.

The picture is EXACTLY how it's been testing since I built it I mean to with in 1/100th of a megabit both up and down. The way it 'pops' in the beginning makes me wonder if something is throttling it back. Oh well, I'll get to it next year!

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:30 am

Have you tried doing a regular download of a large file to see what speeds you get?

Maybe try downloading a game via steam and see what speeds you peak at.

With 30Mbps you should see speeds around 3MB/s sustained. If you are getting that then the interface is working fine and something on your system is just limiting the test you are running.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Zero,

I tried a download from STEAM and got 1.6 down for over 4 gigabytes (that was also the peak) My son downloaded something a few days ago and averaged over 4. So the upside is that I know our network is alright.

Return to Hardware