Spud Raider

Ronin's new PC build

Postby Ronin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:42 am

Alright... last night's Frag night we were talking about upgrading one of my son's PC and there a a good discussion about new versus used parts. There are many arguments for both and I think Zero's right for the long term to go with new. So I thought the best way to help my kid is to build a new PC for myself, of course!

I'll be bumping my current PC down the line like I've done for the past 10 years. The kid gets an upgrade and I get a new rig; everyone's happy. I have a few ideas. Budget. I don't game like I used to (sadly) so I think I can be happy with anything that beats my current set up. So I am thinking about $800 for this (semi) Bad Boy. I have a few licenses for Windows 7 Premium Upgrade so that doesn't need to include an OS.

I have an OLD beige box case that I can use but am worried about airflow but I'd like to save the money as I don't care what it looks like but I might have to suck it up and buy a cheap case. I know I need a new power supply either way.

I am not partial to Nvidia over ATI ( & I've just about given up on mining). I do want to overclock but don't care if it's AMD or Intel I just want the best rig for the budget.

So let's open it up and I'll build it according to you experts. I hope to get all of the parts together and then road trip it to Smitty's and have a few beers with him & Ellsworth as we assemble it and I'll create a new thread with our results. Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Re: Ronin's new PC build

Postby Egg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Wow, he'll be getting one hell of a rig. Are you keeping anything from it, or do you plan to get a new monitor? At 1080p, you're not likely to see much real-world difference over your current setup, except in the most taxing of games.

If I were you, I would wait a handful of months until Broadwell/Skylake chips arrive, and more G-Sync/Freesync displays are available.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:53 am

Egg,

Zero suggested I keep the 16GB of Ram and buy two 4gb sticks to put in my old build. I am not getting a new monitor this is my super lucky monitor that I 'won' at Smitty's Frag weekend in 2012! I can't really wait on the build timing as the pass down PC is part of his Christmas 'package'.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:09 am

here's what I am thinking so far:

i5 4690K proc.
GTX 760 graphics

I am looking at the ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 maybe. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 1731&SID=0

but I'd appreciate any motherboard suggestions.

I'll be putting on a 212 for modest overclocking. Hardwareguy put a terrific overclock on my current PC so hopefully he can do it again at the 2015 Frag weekend.

I'll get a small SSD, 120GB range
and go with probably just a 1TB HDD.

For power I'm thinking Rosewill as I've had very good luck with them so far. The ROSEWILL 80 CAPSTONE 650 Gold for $80

& I am hoping for a decent case but have no idea what I should get. Looking at $100 or less.

Thanks.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:24 pm

UPDATE:

after talking to Zero last night I've decided to go with the i5 4690, not the K unlocked version. MAYBE. The price difference for the performance bump of the K is isn't worth it. When I started this build planning it was just about a $50 difference or 25% of the proc cost and there's no way overclocking will justify that even Hardwareguy with his amazing skills ( and my fear of water cooling) couldn't do it.

But just this morning on Amazon there's only a $15 dollar difference between the unlocked and locked version which would make it worth the money to buy the K. We'll have to see what the pricing is when I am actually ready to buy in a month or so.

and then add to this confusion anything added as an incentive: There's some World of Tanks upgrade offered with the K proc on Newegg that might have some value too.

& to end; I have no idea what the i5 4690S version is.

Return to Hardware