Spud Raider

PC build feedback wanted

Postby Ronin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:12 pm

I have a friend of my son who's building a new PC. I talked him out of buying one and told him how easy they were to build and shared a few maximum PC videos about builds so he thought he'd give it a try. He sent me this list and asked me if the parts 'are compatible' with each other. I thought I'd do him one better and ask the real experts. Any thoughts? His budget I guess is about $1600 for which you can get a killer machine with. Sorry about the broken links, that's how they came. Thanks.

Tower Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition Gunmetal Steel / Plastic ATX

Full Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146112

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GD65 GAMING LGA1150/ Intel Z97/ DDR3/ 3-Way CrossFireX

& 2-Way SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard http://www.superbiiz.com/desc.php?name=MB-Z97GD65

Graphics card (x2): SAPPHIRE 100363L Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI

Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814202046

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)

(BX80646I74790K) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPR ... PDKIKX0DER

Audio card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829132006

Blu-ray player: LG Black Blu-ray Burner SATA WH16NS40 - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827136269

RAM cards: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-

12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WA ... PDKIKX0DER

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch

Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3 ... PDKIKX0DER

Power supply: Seasonic SSR-750RM Active PFC F3 750W 80 PLUS Gold ATX12V /

EPS12V Power Supply http://www.superbiiz.com/desc.php?name=PS-SSR750R

Fan: Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler for LGA 2011/1366/1156/1155/1150/775 & Socket

FM2/FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2 http://www.superbiiz.com/desc.php?name=FAN-MUGEN4
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Tater Tot

Re: PC build feedback wanted

Postby ISNxOmegaPointx » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:57 pm

First of all, this build is pretty beast. Secondly, I don't have a degree or anything so please let the other members who have more experience override my opinion. From what I see it all should match. But my suggestions are to get different ram. I would go with a 8gb stick of Corsair Vengeance to start it off. They seem to preform better than any other stick I've had. That might just be my experience with them though. I have no experience with Sapphire cards. And I see in your tag you have one so you're probably a better judge than I am to get one or not. But I would get a Nvidia simply because I have a few programs that require CUDA cores in order to even start. The new 970 is only like $339 and does 4k. A little bit more that the one listed, but will be nice to have when 4k becomes more common so you don't have to re-purchase. I couldn't tell if Sapphire had any CUDA cores on the page. So if they do, never mind. And lastly I would get a SSD for the OS and Very commonly used software. It will speed up load time on things you use everyday. Plus, your boot times will be cut down.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:52 am

Do not buy a Radeon right now, Ronin. You may have a preference for them, but the new NVIDIA cards are INSANELY good. If you can find a GTX 970, grab it without hesitation. It beats the crap out of the 280X for the same price (maybe a little more right now since they're in high demand), but it's really a closer competitor to the 290X. And it uses less power than both.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Sadly this is not my build & I didn't even do part selection. I would agree with the advice and stay away from Radeon right now because of the premiums being paid by miners. Any suggestions on what he should go for Nvidia-wise?

As for the RAM wouldn't dual channel 2 x 4Gb be better than 1 x 8Gb single channel?

As for it being a Beast; you are right. I suggested spending a grand and this is what they decided on. He's not a real serious gamer but this is what they want. I was also surprised by aftermarket cooling as I have no idea if he knows anything about over clocking ( not that you'd need it on this PC) Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:26 pm

My only real change is that I would go with an SSD (like a Crucial MX100 256 GB) in addition to the 1TB storage, and if budget is a concern, downgrade the i7 to an i5. That's my opinion, as I like faster boot/load times. Otherwise looks good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:22 am

If it were my friend, I'd recommend the following:

• i5 4690K (rather than i7)
  • Asus or Gigabyte Motherboard
  • Single GTX970 or 980
  • 16GB of RAM
  • Crucial or Samsung (non-EVO) SSD
  • Western Digital or Hitachi HDD, at least 2TB (current Seagates have poor reliability)
  • Coolermaster 212 EVO (that Scythe is beyond overkill if he's not OC'ing)
  • Non-windowed case (amateur cabling usually isn't pretty)

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:49 am

So I'm talking to the kid's dad ( who I'm friends with through a few groups at our school/church ) Friday night who's build this is and turns out he bought a 24" TV to use as the monitor as they also use an XBOX with it. So I am guessing graphically this PC is way overpowered as I believe TV resolution will be limited to 1080p. The dad also agrees about the SSD drive as well. Seems like a shame to build a gaming PC like this only to have it restricted to low rez though.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:02 pm

First, off... 1080P is not "low rez". Not sure where you got that idea from.

As for the TV, as long as he can hook up to it via an HDMI cable he should be fine.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Yeah, where did you hear that? 1080P is the standard of PC gaming. Even if you're willing to pay a hefty premium for a top-tier video card and a compatible display you'd really only be getting diminishing returns out of it. Not only that, you'll probably have to upgrade more often and lower quality settings to maintain that high resolution at a playable framerate. 1080P is at a good plateau right now and we can focus on cramming new effects and switching over to high-frequency displays until we reach the next price/performance/tech plateau.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Sync,

By 'low rez' I meant that I believe TVs max out at 1080p while this is the standard 'HD' for video; for gaming and PC use in general I believe that this is lower rez than a lot of PC setups right now. For example my oldest son uses my antique philips 21" monitor. I bought it in 1998. It retailed for $2000 and weighs 75 pounds. It tops out at 1600 x 1200.Considering that it's 16 years old is why I made that comment. 1920 x 1080 will be great for a long time but with so many current (& older) games playing at higher than that rez, I saw this build as a bit limited by the monitor. Certainly FPS won't be an issue. This PC will scream.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:01 pm

Not quite. That 280X will take on just about anything at 1080p with 60 FPS but once you crank that resolution up you'll either have to lower quality settings or deal with a lower FPS. For me, 1080p at 60 FPS will always be superior to 1440p at 30-40 FPS. Not only that but you won't have to worry about upgrading for a lot longer and can maximize your initial budget.

Also, resolutions above 1080p aren't as common as you're assuming. Steam hardware surveys have about 1.6% of respondents utilizing any resolution higher than 1920x1080/1200. I love my Retina Macbook Pro but gaming on its native resolution isn't as impressive to justify the atrocious performance cost. I'd rather crank up a few settings, add AA, maybe downscale a higher resolution, and maintain 120 FPS.

And from a budget perspective, it makes more sense to spend $200 on a monitor and $300 on a video card than $500 on a monitor and $600 on a video card.

Lastly, today's generation of consoles can't even handle 1080p.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:30 pm

What I find interesting in your link Sync, is that the PS4 seems to have higher framerates/resolution than the Xbox one. I don't have either system right now, but fascinating either way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank you gentlemen for the input and the education. The kid said he'll add & SSD and take away a video card. I told him a bit about mining and since he didn't know what it was it's not a factor so I encouraged him to consider Nvidia as well. My last two builds have had ATIs ( my current has a 7950 & my son is using my old 5850) my other son is using an Nvidia 250 GTS paired with an E6750 dual core. Which I desperately want to upgrade for him. But fortunately it's a champ for Garrys Mod ( for the most part) & for Minecraft which still occasionally lags.

Interestly we compared a PC that a friend of his was considering at Best Buy for about $550 and my son's still came out on top in theoretical performance.

I hope to benchmark this kid's machine once its built and I'll report back so I can work on a new build for me disguised as an upgrade for my youngest son! (maybe next Spring if I'm lucky)

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:05 pm

Oh wait, I didn't notice that he was running two cards. Yeah that might be overkill. But it's not overkill because it'll fucking conquer everything, it's overkill because that second card will add at most 40% more FPS in very specific games. A lot of the time, especially with console ports or NVIDIA-branded titles, he'll be getting 0% use for that second card. Best use that money for just about anything else. Though NVIDIA isn't that much better with multi-gpus (but on a whole SLI > Crossfire).

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 pm

gregorov_14 wrote:What I find interesting in your link Sync, is that the PS4 seems to have higher framerates/resolution than the Xbox one. I don't have either system right now, but fascinating either way.

Yeah, the PS4 is faster than the Xbox One. It can run at native resolutions and/or at twice the FPS most of the time due to the fact that the PS4's memory is GDDR5 whereas the One is DDR3. Also the PS4's GPU is like 50% faster.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Alright. My friend is going with a 128GB SSD ( no word on which one) I have a 120GB SSD that is only about half full after 18 months so he'll be fine ( nothing like Smitty's 2TB of SSD though!)

He's pick a video card too. EVGA GTX 980, 4gb RAM I believe. Quite a monster, although for $550 you'd expect it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NT9USX ... 1_3&sr=8-3

Return to Hardware