Space Fry

Holy shit AMD

Postby Harvester » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 am

I heard about AMD's drivers being worse than nVidia's, but I never suspected it could be this bad. I got a Radeon HD 4850 from a colleague who wasn't using it and tried to install drivers.

First the AMD autodetect says I have an 'A-series APU' and wants to download some Mobility driver. Then I select the download myself and the fucking driver doesn't want to install, without saying why. Now I'm going to try the Beta driver and if that doesn't work I'm stuck with the default Windows 8 driver by Microsoft. That driver does work but has almost zero customizability. If I want to enable anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering for example, on an older game that doesn't have that option in the in-game menus, I can't do so with the Microsoft driver.

Whatever video cards I may buy in the future, I will never buy one from AMD, that's for sure.

Space Fry

Re: Holy shit AMD

Postby Harvester » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:48 am

The AMD support forum isn't working. Got any tips? I did uninstall the nVidia drivers before inserting the AMD card, by the way.

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Never mind, it works now. I used an app called Display Driver Cleaner or whatever and then installed the driver again, then it worked. A marked performance increase over my old card. Of course it's still not a very fast card compared to what's on the market these days, but with a brand new ultra-fast card my processor would become my bottleneck, so I'd have to upgrade my whole system.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:08 pm

I've always had problems with AMD. It's contributed to me never wanting to buy an AMD product ever again.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:42 pm

I've only used a handful of AMD/ATI cards over the decade. But all except one of them caused me issues. The latest being my laptop.

Its got a 7850M in it and damn do I have a lot of problems. First, it fucks with my audio because of the HDMI audio functionality to the point where my headphone jacks don't even work anymore. Then I have to reinstall the OS and they start working again (thankfully I switched to using a USB amp for my headphones around the same time and it can't do anything to it, so this isn't that annoying).

On top of the audio issues, if I use the default drivers it came with, then I can adjust the screen brightness. But with the updated drivers that give me much better performance? Nope, can't adjust its stuck at whatever brightness level it was at when I installed the drivers.

But the worst above all is that AMDs doesn't work with their partners (HP, toshiba, etc.) to make sure that the GPU switching works properly. So my GPU is stuck on all the time, which cuts my battery life in half. To be fair, they did do a good job with the idle power so I still get 4-5 hours under normal use and about 2 hours with the GPU. But I would easily get 6-7 hours if I could switch over to the built in Intel graphics.

Anyways, I won't be buying another laptop with an AMD GPU in it. Fuck that shit.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:13 am

Yeah I'm also going to stick with nVidia for my next card. The Catalyst control center is also a lot clunkier than nVidia's control panel. nVidia's looks a lot more slick and is easier to use. Catalyst control center looks amateuristic by comparison. I also have an old 17'' CRT as my secondary monitor (for older games that only run on 4:3 resolutions, I still play old point & click adventure games from time to time) and the Catalyst driver doesn't properly detect the max resolution and refresh rate, which nVidia's driver did. I wonder what happens if I try to set the monitor to 1920*1200 with 160Hz, which the driver claims my monitor can do (it can't).

But the performance increase is worth the hassle. My video card is no longer the bottleneck of my system. I can even run Alan Wake pretty well on full HD and that's a pretty recent game.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am

I've always alternated between AMD and Nvidia. I just happened to wind up with both AMD in my laptop and desktop machines and have had issues with both. Luckily, nothing overly severe but enough to make me hesitate on future purchases. My next desktop machine will definitely have Nvidia.....next laptop....I don't know.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:46 am

Which display driver version did you install? I had some issues with my brother's computer with a fresh install of Windows 8.1, but looking at dxdiag it looks like I have the right version installed (sans catalyst control center). It was 8.9 something, and I won't get the chance to look at it until late October, so I may have to try that solution you figured out to get ccc installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 am

The older models have a different set of Catalyst driver because they've gone into extended support. From the HD 5000 set onwards, there are the new drivers, older models have old drivers that no longer have support. For my HD4850, these are the drivers I used: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%208%20-%2032. The one at the top, not the Beta one at the bottom.

Anyway, I think I need a new power supply. My current 450W one is old and isn't cutting it with the new video card. When I turn on the PC, it immediately turns off and I have to completely disconnect the power and then try again. After a few times it'll work, and when it's turned on it stays on and I can play games just fine without any crashes. But turning the PC on and it turning off 10 times in a row before it works, is bad for the hardware, so I can't keep doing that or my parts are going to fail sooner rather than later.

So I need a new power supply. I'm going to get a 520W or 600W one because 450W is the bare minimum. The problem is, and I need your advice with that, that my power supply is at the top of my PC case, where newer cases have the power supply at the bottom. When I buy a new power supply and it has a fan on top, that fan will rest against the metal top of my PC case and it will quickly overheat.

I can't put a power supply in upside down, right? Because the screw holes would be in the wrong place, right? Or is that not the case?

So what I need is a 520W or 600W power supply that can fit my case. The fan must aim down into my PC case instead of up at the metal ceiling. Are such power supplies still available? And can you guys recommend me a good one? Thanks for indulging a hardware noob.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Any case made in the last 10 years will have dual screw holes in the power supply location so you can install it in either direction. So I wouldn't worry about that.

As for a good power supply, basically anything that is rated 80+ Bronze, Gold, or Platinum are excellent choices.

Here is a decent one that should fit the bill:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151096

Can't go wrong with a SeaSonic. :)

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:07 am

Can you verify that for me? This is a pic of the back of my PC case. Can an upside down power supply fit here, with the screwhole locations in these positions? I think it just might, I looked at a pic of a popular XFX power supply and it seems to have to the screwholes in the right positions.

EDIT: This is the power supply I was talking about. Is this a decent power supply? The reviews say it's pretty quiet.
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/398089/x ... ificaties/

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Got that SeaSonic power supply you mentioned. Too bad it's more expensive here than in the USA, but it gets good reviews and is supposedly pretty silent too. I ordered it off a Dutch webshop. If for some reason it still gives problems with my system, EU law has a 7-day no questions asked return policy (even if the product itself works fine) so I'll just send it back.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:28 am

Sorry, I didn't see your response until today. Unfortunately the image you uploaded it too small for me to see properly. Can you upload another?

As for the power supply you linked (I know you already ordered the Seasonic, but just thought I would respond), It's not a bad choice, XFX makes decent power supplies. Though the Seasonic would definitely be considered a "higher tier" supply. So I still recommend it over the XFX. So you made a good choice. :)

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:56 am

Yeah sorry for the small image, I tried to make it 1024*768 but ImageShack wants money for that nowadays. I have to find another image host for next time.

But I'm actually positive now that the power supply will fit with the fan aiming the right way, I looked at the screw positions and they're at exactly the right places. I got it in the mail today and will install it tomorrow. It's a nice looking unit, has plenty of connections and all the cables are sleeved. I hope everything will work tomorrow so I can continue with Alan Wake @ full HD again.

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:24 am

Installed the power supply and it works fine! So I can continue with Alan Wake, after I finish Max Payne 1, which I started because I couldn't play Alan Wake without my new video card.

Thanks for the advice, that Seasonic power supply is pretty quiet too, it was easy to install and has lots of available connections so it's future proof.

Return to Hardware