Spud Raider
Site Admin

Mitt Romney Capaign Canceled Aides Credit Cards Early

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Now you can see what kind of "business man" Romney really is. The kind that doesn't care about his employee's.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Re: Mitt Romney Capaign Canceled Aides Credit Cards Early

Postby Egg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:42 am

That's pretty sad.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:44 am

Happens every election, the media just wants to emphasize because it was the GOP. Either way whatever, neither Romney or Obama can make the hard decisions that are needed to put this country where it should be.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 am

I don't see how this is an issue. The campaign is over. Time to take it apart as quickly as possible so that it doesn't incur further costs.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:08 am

Umm... how about that the Campaign had agreed to cover the staff's hotel and taxi expenses and then suddenly decided to change their mind. That's just wrong and causes a huge problem for all the staff that were putting in the time and effort to try to get him elected in the first place. Its one thing if they had told the staff ahead of time, its something entirely different to tell them one thing and then do another.

And no this isn't "normal practice". Normal is to wind down things over the next few days and cover the expenses of the staff that you promised ahead of time. Especially when the campaign had the funds available.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 am

The article said nothing of agreeing to cover hotel and taxi expenses and then changing its mind? It merely said that once the campaign ended so did the credit cards given to staffers. I'm sure there was reimbursement in place somewhere because I haven't heard any new controversies. Seems like the work of overeager management to move on from a disastrous campaign rather than anything malicious, or anything tied to Romney directly.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:45 pm

ZeroGuardian wrote:Umm... how about that the Campaign had agreed to cover the staff's hotel and taxi expenses and then suddenly decided to change their mind. That's just wrong and causes a huge problem for all the staff that were putting in the time and effort to try to get him elected in the first place. Its one thing if they had told the staff ahead of time, its something entirely different to tell them one thing and then do another.

And no this isn't "normal practice". Normal is to wind down things over the next few days and cover the expenses of the staff that you promised ahead of time. Especially when the campaign had the funds available.

Where was this info posted? Also how do you know it wasn't covered? Just because the credit cards were cut off doesn't mean they still can't fill out an expense report and have it reimbursed.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Natedog wrote:
ZeroGuardian wrote:Umm... how about that the Campaign had agreed to cover the staff's hotel and taxi expenses and then suddenly decided to change their mind. That's just wrong and causes a huge problem for all the staff that were putting in the time and effort to try to get him elected in the first place. Its one thing if they had told the staff ahead of time, its something entirely different to tell them one thing and then do another.

Where was this info posted? Also how do you know it wasn't covered? Just because the credit cards were cut off doesn't mean they still can't fill out an expense report and have it reimbursed.

I think you're missing the point, even if they are to be re-imbursed the point is some of them would very likely not have the funds to pay for their expenses (as there were reports of people taking taxi's home and having to call someone to pay for the trip).

But even still, how would you feel if your business sent you on a trip gave you a credit card for expenses and then abruptly canceled that card mid way through the trip? Forcing you to pay for everything with funds you may or may not have. The point is not whether they will be refunded or not, the point is it was a dick move and shouldn't have been done in the first place. Especially since the campaign will likely still be filing paperwork, and paying off expenses over the next several months anyways (not to mention it took in over 1.7 billion dollars during the campaign).

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:21 am

I think you are missing my point of that it's not that big of a deal, also where are these reports? In my company you need to be fairly high up to get a corporate card which means you would have the money to cover a taxi cab. So, while I don't doubt this did happen, I have this feeling that not all of these "reports" you are talking about are completely true. You make sound like they were entrusting corporate cards to college kids with no money. Maybe the higher up interns but normally those spots are reserved for the kids who's parents are friends or connected to the person campaigning.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:19 am

I don't care if your Bill Gates and have all the money in the world. A business (and Romney is all about calling himself the business man) should never cancel a credit card after they had already told the employee's that the cards will cover their expenses. Even if a person is fully able to pay for the expenses they then still have to deal with the hassles of getting reimbursement paperwork filled out and to the appropriate people, they still had to spend their own personal money (whether its actually a burden on them or not), and they are still having to deal with the initial issues of figuring out an alternative when the money is needed.

Regardless of whether you are a CEO or the janitor, a business should never put you in a position where they tell you one thing and then do something completely different. Its just flat out wrong. End of Story.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 am

It happens to me all the time. I get reimbursed at the end of the day and I move on. As I said before, there was nothing malicious. Just sounds like the accountants got too far ahead in closing shop. I still don't see how this is related to Romney personally. Using frivolous stories like these to discredit someone's politics merely takes away from the overall argument. Let's talk about Romney's disparaging remarks against large swaths of the country, his political malleability and how he embodies a spineless politician, or his party's utmost contempt for anyone who's not them.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Just as a CEO would be held accountable for actions his company took under his control, Romney is responsible for their actions. He should have hired people that would have been responsible (and repeated on down the line). That is one of the first responsibilities of a business is to hire people that will work correctly. Romney choose people to direct his campaign and those people choose people on down the line. If he choose poorly at the top then that filters on down the range.

And how come there was no apology from the campaign if this was a clerical mistake? Just because Romney himself didn't put this into action doesn't mean he isn't responsible for some of the blame. And for someone that tries to portray himself as a responsible business man he should have known better and responded to this as soon as it was brought out.

If they had commented about this and had promised to work with the people that were affected then this story would have been shut down almost immediately. Instead they have chosen to ignore it. That is the problem.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:36 pm

You're discussing this issue like you have more information. Care to share? Because nothing in that article, and nothing that has come out since, has discussed this issue at any length... probably because it is inconsequential and happens all the time. I'm going to assume that they resolved it internally because there has been 0 drama about it since this first came out.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:09 pm

ZeroGuardian wrote:I don't care if your Bill Gates and have all the money in the world. A business (and Romney is all about calling himself the business man) should never cancel a credit card after they had already told the employee's that the cards will cover their expenses. Even if a person is fully able to pay for the expenses they then still have to deal with the hassles of getting reimbursement paperwork filled out and to the appropriate people, they still had to spend their own personal money (whether its actually a burden on them or not), and they are still having to deal with the initial issues of figuring out an alternative when the money is needed.

Regardless of whether you are a CEO or the janitor, a business should never put you in a position where they tell you one thing and then do something completely different. Its just flat out wrong. End of Story.

That happens to me on a daily basis. Most recently I was told I would have to cover a Black Friday from Midnight to 8PM. Now about two weeks out I am told Target is opening at 9PM Thanksgiving day and now we are going to be open 9PM to 8PM. That means I need to cover a 24hr shift with my current personnel at basically the last minute. All of my scheduling that I've done (since I do it 4 weeks out) now has to be re-done and I need to explain to some employees of mine that they will now have to cut their Thanksgiving short because of this.

In short, last minute changes happen in corporations all of the time, if you think they don't then you either work with your head in the ground or you haven't worked with any large corporations. I also agree with Synch, you have talked about all of these "reports" but haven't produced any factual information except for the initial article which didn't specify anything. Produce the information and we can go from there, otherwise there really is nothing to see here and you are making something out of nothing.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Fine, maybe I'm taking this out of proportion. Maybe this only affected a few people and in the end it really didn't bother them that much. (I read some reports a few days ago, but I'm having difficulty finding them again as they were linked on reddit).

But I still hold fast that this was a dick move. And Natedog, your example is laughable, changes that are given to people at the last minute is not the same as changing things without peoples knowledge and causing them a financial burden.

And that brings up another good point... just because something is the "norm" doesn't mean its right. Anyways, I'm done with the conversation. If you two really want to continue backing this joker up that is your choice. It is obvious to me that he cares little for those beneath him. Just glad the people of the US saw that before it was too late.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Oh I'm not backing that joker up. As I've already mentioned before, there is a lot that is wrong with him and I'm very glad he lost the election. But we should be discussing those issues, not pointless ones like this.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Exactly. Maybe you should also start a thread questioning Obama's citizenship? That would be *at least* as compelling and meaningful as this!

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:50 am

ZeroGuardian wrote:Fine, maybe I'm taking this out of proportion. Maybe this only affected a few people and in the end it really didn't bother them that much. (I read some reports a few days ago, but I'm having difficulty finding them again as they were linked on reddit).

But I still hold fast that this was a dick move. And Natedog, your example is laughable, changes that are given to people at the last minute is not the same as changing things without peoples knowledge and causing them a financial burden.

And that brings up another good point... just because something is the "norm" doesn't mean its right. Anyways, I'm done with the conversation. If you two really want to continue backing this joker up that is your choice. It is obvious to me that he cares little for those beneath him. Just glad the people of the US saw that before it was too late.

I voted for Gary Johnson because Romney and Obama are both idiots and were both chosen by idiots. Neither have the nuts to make the hard choices America needs to make things right and it didn't matter which one of those two party puppets made it into office the result will still be the same. Same party politics by the same two idiot parties.

I'll dismiss your laughable comment as you still being young and needing to grow up because while you are at home enjoying your thanksgiving dinner with your family there will be others forced to be at work trying to make a buck. Oh yeah, totally not the same as someone having to pay for a $50 cab ride out of their own pocket only to have it reimbursed later.

Tater Tot

Postby Firing Squid » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Wait, can I step in this?

:D

Return to Politics/Religion