Space Fry

Marijuana Legalized in Colorado and Washington

Postby Samuel71 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 pm

Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana possession for adults and have the rules in place to start licensing producers and dealers, making the drug comparable to alcohol and tobacco in legality. This is pretty incredible domestic policy news coming from the world leader in the War on Drugs! Do you think the federal government is going to let the states carry out their plans, or crack down hard?

Spud Runner

Re: Marijuana Legalized in Colorado and Washington

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I'd have to lean toward 'crack down hard,' since the gub'ment takes so many of their marching orders from giants of industry that don't want to (or can't) compete with weed and hemp, but either way it'll be interesting to watch. This is a major step forward in unwinding one of the longest-running and asinine cultural delusions in modern America, not to mention a brave stand for States' rights.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 pm

jacobvandy wrote:I'd have to lean toward 'crack down hard'

I'm skeptical enough to agree. The legalization of medicinal marijuana in California didn't stop the feds from busting in and shutting down the shops that sold it.

Smoke 'em while you got 'em! :))

Tater Tot

Postby astriir » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm hoping the government cracks down on it simply because it's already too easy for people to survive. How can I weed(pun) out the idiots if they're consistently patted on the back and handed breaks? But I guess the astronomical prices if legalized would be a big enough middle finger. Then we won't hear about how miraculous it is, it will be revealed that all of the hype around weed was just a tool smokers use to make themselves feel better about their hobby and no one will get to feel special any longer.

I seriously think the one thing weed has going for it is it's illegal. People love that kind of stuff.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Forget smoking weed, that's really such a small part of this whole thing... Cannabis is illegal (the family of plants that marijuana and hemp come from, listed as a Schedule I controlled substance right next to heroin, ecstacy, LSD, and peyote) because hemp is a wonder plant, capable of usurping and dominating multiple enormous industries including cotton and paper. You'd think that'd be a good thing, but their problem with it is that it is so easy to grow that ANYBODY could do it. And last I checked, the one-percenters aren't too keen on allowing Joe Schmoe to literally grow money on trees in his backyard... Here are some reasons, and keep in mind we're talking about hemp, not marijuana -- though they are closely related, the former has such a low THC content that you'd have to smoke pounds of it to feel even the slightest bit funny:

- The plant fiber is stronger, softer, more absorbent, and a better insulator than cotton -> there's a reason pretty much all clothes, ship sails, etc. used to be made with hemp

- The seeds are more nutritious (including protein, dietary fiber, B-vitamins, and essential fatty acids) and more easily digestible than soybeans -> BOOM, goodbye tofu and all other inferior vegetarian food products

- Hemp wood (giggity), while not large or sturdy enough to threaten existing timbers used for construction naturally (though Stanford has developed a composite replacement using hemp that does not degrade), yields more wood pulp per acre than a forest of redwoods, and is more suitable for making paper of all kinds that is sturdier and lasts longer without yellowing (we've found some over 1,500 years old), plus since it grows so quickly, it is far more sustainable and economical than chopping down all our forests and replanting them. Also hemp plywood/particle board is twice as strong as the usual stuff

- Hemp is super simple, and fast (about one year), to grow, requiring no pesticides or weed control, plus it's actually good for the soil AND recycles air (consuming carbon dioxide to spit out oxygen) better than any other tree

- It's an excellent candidate (if not *the* most excellent) for bio-fuel production because of its high amount of hydrocarbons, combined with a lack of need for complex processing and the aforementioned ease of growing

- Hemp can be used to make non-toxic PLASTIC, and they (not the USA, I don't think) are currently researching how to make it biodegradable, which would literally change the world (no more growing that Texas-sized floating island of crap out in the ocean

I basically summarized the previously-linked page, but you can read a lot more about it here, including further implications for medicine and health & beauty supplies (like soap, shampoo, makeup). When thinking about the issue of legalization here, you must keep in mind that it was LEGAL and, in fact, sanctioned and SUBSIDIZED by the federal government as recently as World War II. (Figures, it takes some fuckin' Nazis to make us think "oh shit, we're running out of raw materials, we need some of that awesome plant that grows super fast and can be used for like everything!") After that, when the corporations started taking over, they make it conveniently illegal in all forms, using the moderately psychoactive cousin marijuana as a scape-goat. See Reefer Madness and similar propaganda films of decades past. Other countries, which are so incredibly stupid and/or corrupt as America, are already making their billions by growing hemp, some of which includes exporting it here!! It's just sofa king ridiculous...

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 pm

I didn't understand why gay marriage legalization and marijuana legalization seemed to march hand in hand. Then someone pointed out Leviticus 20:13: "For if a man lies with another man, he shall be stoned."

NOW everything is clear. That makes so much more sense than thinking a loving G-d said to kill them. He just wants them to be - relaxed.

:))

Tater Tot

Postby astriir » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:28 am

jacobvandy wrote:Forget smoking weed, that's really such a small part of this whole thing... Cannabis is illegal (the family of plants that marijuana and hemp come from, listed as a Schedule I controlled substance right next to heroin, ecstacy, LSD, and peyote) because hemp is a wonder plant, capable of usurping and dominating multiple enormous industries including cotton and paper. You'd think that'd be a good thing, but their problem with it is that it is so easy to grow that ANYBODY could do it. And last I checked, the one-percenters aren't too keen on allowing Joe Schmoe to literally grow money on trees in his backyard... Here are some reasons, and keep in mind we're talking about hemp, not marijuana -- though they are closely related, the former has such a low THC content that you'd have to smoke pounds of it to feel even the slightest bit funny:

- The plant fiber is stronger, softer, more absorbent, and a better insulator than cotton -> there's a reason pretty much all clothes, ship sails, etc. used to be made with hemp

- The seeds are more nutritious (including protein, dietary fiber, B-vitamins, and essential fatty acids) and more easily digestible than soybeans -> BOOM, goodbye tofu and all other inferior vegetarian food products

- Hemp wood (giggity), while not large or sturdy enough to threaten existing timbers used for construction naturally (though Stanford has developed a composite replacement using hemp that does not degrade), yields more wood pulp per acre than a forest of redwoods, and is more suitable for making paper of all kinds that is sturdier and lasts longer without yellowing (we've found some over 1,500 years old), plus since it grows so quickly, it is far more sustainable and economical than chopping down all our forests and replanting them. Also hemp plywood/particle board is twice as strong as the usual stuff

- Hemp is super simple, and fast (about one year), to grow, requiring no pesticides or weed control, plus it's actually good for the soil AND recycles air (consuming carbon dioxide to spit out oxygen) better than any other tree

- It's an excellent candidate (if not *the* most excellent) for bio-fuel production because of its high amount of hydrocarbons, combined with a lack of need for complex processing and the aforementioned ease of growing

- Hemp can be used to make non-toxic PLASTIC, and they (not the USA, I don't think) are currently researching how to make it biodegradable, which would literally change the world (no more growing that Texas-sized floating island of crap out in the ocean

I basically summarized the previously-linked page, but you can read a lot more about it here, including further implications for medicine and health & beauty supplies (like soap, shampoo, makeup). When thinking about the issue of legalization here, you must keep in mind that it was LEGAL and, in fact, sanctioned and SUBSIDIZED by the federal government as recently as World War II. (Figures, it takes some fuckin' Nazis to make us think "oh shit, we're running out of raw materials, we need some of that awesome plant that grows super fast and can be used for like everything!") After that, when the corporations started taking over, they make it conveniently illegal in all forms, using the moderately psychoactive cousin marijuana as a scape-goat. See Reefer Madness and similar propaganda films of decades past. Other countries, which are so incredibly stupid and/or corrupt as America, are already making their billions by growing hemp, some of which includes exporting it here!! It's just sofa king ridiculous...

Thanks for the informative post, man. I also liked the differentiation between marijuanna and hemp which I had not yet known. My post was more or less where everyone goes when they think of legalization. Kind of me blathering, I've had REALLY bad experiences with marijuanna sellers. They also specialized in heroin and one of them abused my sister, so you can see why it's a sore subject.

I'm gonna have to look more into this. What DOES legalization mean, exactly? I was thinking marijuanna would be side-by-side with cigarettes. Is it varying degrees?

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:05 am

Well, what CO and WA have done is basically that -- anyone over 21 can buy and possess up to an ounce of weed for personal use, from licensed establishments (not sure if that will include liquor stores, etc., but there will definitely be cafes). And they can grow it in the privacy of their home. Can't smoke it in public, though.

All of that is subject to change, I'm sure, as they're still trying to figure out how they're going to handle this. Just like there are special conditions for alcohol and tobacco (the age requirement, for example), being legal doesn't mean it's no holds barred, do whatever you want. It's still going to be illegal to drive under the influence and such. However this step of legalization, for these states, has come after decriminalization. For Colorado, it's been since way back in 1979, when they made having less than an ounce a petty offense punishable by only a $100 fine; no arrest or conviction or jail time or anything. Then since the early 2000s, they started doing the medical marijuana thing, where it was legal for registered users to have small amounts.

That's supposedly what we have now in CA (took until 2010 to decriminalize it here, and so far attempts to legalize have failed), but the feds have been seriously messing with even that for the past few years. In fact Obama, who stated previously that he was not concerned about going after pot, has led more raids on medical marijuana establishments in his 4 years than GW Bush did in his 8... Just another lie on a long list of lies. That's why the shit is going to hit the fan during his second term, when he doesn't have any fucks left to give. Though maybe with a couple of states pushing it farther, that'll take the heat off of us, lol.

Still, though, this is a conflict that needs to happen. There needs to be a ruckus for things to change, just like with the end of the prohibition of alcohol. Only difference is booze consumption is/was a lot more popular, so they put up with that shit for only a few years (13), while we're at 75 for cannabis. But, like I said, that has as much to do with the suppression of hemp as it does with preventing people from getting high.

Return to Politics/Religion