Spud Raider
Site Admin

Razer Game Booster?

Postby FiSH » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Software that's supposed to shut down all uneeded apps/services while in-game to allow you computer to solely focus on the game. Anyone use this? Does it work?

Flyby Spud

Re: Razer Game Booster?

Postby Natedog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Sounds like those NIC's that are supposed to enhance gaming but cost 10X more because gamers are gullible. Haven't used it, just my preliminary thoughts.

Edit: I'll also add that most games today are only slowed down by the lack of GPU power. I would imagine that the things the software are turning off are only affecting the available CPU and Ram which by all accounts are pretty cheap. I know people who are still gaming pretty well with a Core2Duo/Quad and if you still have 2GB of ram it would cost the same as that software to bump it up to 4GB+ I would imagine.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Just do it yourself and have Windows stop unneeded processes from starting-up. All of these automatic tools produce more problems than they solve.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

My only thought is that something like this is completely unnecessary these days. RAM is so fast and cheap that you probably have way more than you could ever possibly make use of, so there is really no need to close things down and salvage a few hundred megabytes when you've still got multiple gigs free. That, and very few games take advantage of CPU power to the point where needing to free up a couple percentage points of processor time would do anything. Even those that do, like GTA IV or, to an extent, Skyrim, the difference would likely be negligible.

There was a point in time where you'd be playing games on an old-ass computer that really was never made to play games, where closing down all unnecessary processes would let you squeeze out a few extra FPS (a big deal when my total was already only between 10-15), but that time is past. Hell, I wouldn't have even wanted it then, because THIS itself is hogging precious resources.

To their credit, the software is free, but for 95% of people it's just a placebo.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 pm

I wouldn't say this is unnecessary. Even with 8GB or more, resource-hog processes can still put a drag on your game performance, because memory usage isn't the only factor. There are still a ton of games which are CPU limited, and when you've got something in the background stealing away CPU cycles, it can absolutely lower your game performance. Think poorly optimized antivirus or system monitoring programs.

That said, this is mainly for folks who are lazy, or not knowledgeable enough to go through and eliminate the offending processes by hand. I don't like the idea of a program just arbitrarily disabling whatever processes it thinks aren't necessary.

Return to Software / Applications