Spud Raider

Punk Buster (still) stinks!

Postby Ronin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:53 pm

I have had problems with Punk Buster all my life it seems. We had a pretty long thread at FS about my complaints. I need to fix it before Friday October 26th because the frag Nite ( Frynite?) is Battlefield 3 and that is one of my Punk Buster affected games.

I have run PBsetup.exe at least 3 times in the past week in the hopes it would force an install but no luck. I saw on some forum that running more than once might help. It runs and says it installs but I can't play any Punk Buster games Call of Duty games and Battlefield are the only 2 I've tried so far. Neither works. I downloaded the troubleshooting program from even balance called PBsvc.exe (picture link below)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqej363ugzjxf ... er-pic.jpg

It says that neither the executable PnkBstrA.exe or PnkBstrB.exe is installed in the C:\windows\system32\ folder. I manually confirmed this in Windows Explorer. I also did a search on my hard drive (just in case) and found that neither file exists on my PC (even after 3 installs!!!) I am using the latest download of PBsetup.exe, I am running it as an Administrator. I also tried to find the files manually on the Internet but had no luck. I use Security Essentials as my real time virus protection so I can't imagine what's going on. I also just ran Ccleaner to check my registry and nothing came up. I'm running Windows 7 64 with 8GB of RAM.

I'd really appreciate the help. I am sure Smitty & Ellsworth will too since they get so much joy from killing me in BF3!
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Re: Punk Buster (still) stinks!

Postby LORD-ORION » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:34 pm

As I recall, a possible solution is to use the manual removal by PBSVC.exe instead of uninstall.

The link to it is on this page

Flyby Spud

Re: Punk Buster (still) stinks!

Postby One Fan To Another » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Oh, snap. I've had this exact problem twice (two different systems). I fixed it both times by manually installing a punk buster update. Manually installing meaning finding the necessary files and overwriting the old ones with the new ones.

EDIT: Hmm, actually I just remembered that it wasn't that the exes were missing, it was that I was getting kicked for not have an apparently good copy of A and B files.

Return to Software / Applications