Spud Raider
Site Admin

SP's Recommended Free Software

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Welcome to Space Potatoes! If you're like any other Gamer/PC User out there you run into numerous situations where you need to perform a task on your computer but don't have the necessary software. And like many people right now, sometimes you just need something quick and easy and you don't particularly want to pay for it. Well this list is the resource for you! Here is our Community Recommendations for Free Software for a variety of tasks.

Have a recommendation of your own? Well feel free to post it below.

Space Potatoes' Recommended Free Software

Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware

Browsers

Firewalls

Productivity Tools

System Tools
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Runner

Re: SP's Recommended Free Software

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 pm

mp3DirectCut lets you edit MP3 files without re-encoding. Great for cutting out clips of songs to make ringtones or edit commercials out of podcasts or what have you. I wish they had something like this for video files...

Flyby Spud

Postby LORD-ORION » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:20 am

If you use Ccleaner, why not use Defraggler also?

Also ImgBurn for burning

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 pm

^ I use Defraggler, and ImgBurn on occasion.

Don't forget Mumble! ;)
AutoHotkey is fun.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:49 am

Defraggler is a good free basic defragger. But MyDefrag actually goes through and performs a performance enhanced defragmentation (putting the most used files in the highest speed area of the hard drive) and also makes sure to keep the files better organized. Where as most defragmentation programs only go through the drive and move the files to the front of the drive as it sees them during the scan.

But I'll add all the suggestions to the list. :)
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Space Fry

Postby infamous » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Might want to add ClamAV to the Anti-virus list. It's free, open-source, and cross-platform (Mac & Win)

Is separate firewall software even necessary any more? About the only thing that Windows' lacks is outgoing-connection protection.

I second Jacob's rec of mp3DirectCut, its pretty awesome. My only complaint is that it writes tags as ID3v1.1, which is a problem if you use it to cut mp3/cue files, as field names will be cut off due to ID3v1's per-field character limit

There's a great app for mp3 organization called The Godfather, I use it to keep a 10,000+ track mp3/flac collection neat and tidy. There's also MediaMonkey (which is more popular), but I've had problems with it and its technically shareware.
The artist formerly known as darkportal_4

Tater Tot

Postby indigo196 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:14 pm

I use Ubuntu as my main OS, but there are some applications I would recommend to those that use Windows as well.

VirtualBox - https://www.virtualbox.org/
GIMP (already mentioned above)
Inkscape - http://inkscape.org/
LibreOffice - http://www.libreoffice.org/
Blender - http://www.blender.org/

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:38 pm

VLC Media Player - Best video player.

Foobar 2000 - Best music player.

Deluge, qBittorrent, Transmission-Qt - Alternative BitTorrent clients to the now-bloated but still superior uTorrent. Torrenting has more uses than just piracy.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 am

Synchronicity wrote:VLC Media Player - Best video player.

It's odd that we missed this one. I've been using it for years.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm

GameSave Manager - This is an incredible tool that not only intelligently finds almost every save game you have, it will let you back them up, put them in a cloud service, and even have it moved and linked to a different hard drive. It can even move entire Steam games so that they're not all sucking up one drive's space (although I think Valve has recently allowed you to do this yourself, at least when I installed Sleeping Dogs and Prototype 2).

MarkC's Mouse Fix - Even if you disable mouse acceleration in Windows and in-game it's still present on some level. Mouse acceleration predicts where your mouse is heading when you move it, making it skip ahead or slow down depending on how you move the mouse. This makes the mouse really inaccurate if you're a gamer. This fix removes the responsible registry entries and makes your mouse truly 1:1. For some games, it nullifies mouse acceleration if there's no in-game option.

NameBench - This is a nifty tool that detects which DNS server gives you the fastest loading times and which ones block websites. It's useful if your ISP or your government manages your DNS and you want to circumvent that... or just want the fastest browsing experience possible.

NotePad++ - If you do some amount of source code editing, especially if you're modding games, this is a must. It just gives you more control, options, and power over the default NotePad included in Windows.

Prime95 - Essential overclocking software. It stress tests your CPU to ensure your overclock is stable. If you crash after a certain amount of time or Prime95 produces errors, your overclock is not stable.

Recuva- From the same people who brought you CCleaner, Recuva is a pretty lightweight, no frills undeleter that works well enough for shit you accidentally deleted right away. For older, more complicated deletions you'll have to look elsewhere.

RealTemp- Throw away any CPU sensors that have come with your motherboard drivers. This software is among the most accurate for telling you just how hot your CPU really is. It's also really lightweight and will not produce DPC latency like ASUS' AI Suite will.

GPU-Z - Tells you all about your video card.

CPU-Z- Tells you all about your CPU.

Return to Software / Applications