Flyby Spud

Need a program to convert DVD to .MP4 that is free

Postby Natedog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Looking for a program that can convert DVD to .MP4 since my stupid digital copies don't work worth a damn. I need it to be in the free price range.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Re: Need a program to convert DVD to .MP4 that is free

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 pm

One that I have used in the past is WinX DVD Ripper. You can get the free version here (they will really try to push the pay for version however so just pay attention to where you are clicking). The free version works just fine for basic DVD to MP4 conversion.

You know... maybe we should start a list of Recommended Free Software, might be a good candidate for the first sticky thread in the Software/Applications section.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Sounds like a great idea on the free software. This way we know what works well, has ads and crap, and what has viruses.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Hell yes! Worked like a charm but just an FYI for anyone that reads this post later this is the software I have on my machine:

AnyDVD HD (I'm not sure if this makes a difference, I assume it helps with the DRM of the DVD's)
WinX DVD Ripper

I had problems ripping in straight .MP4 and got this wierd notion that maybe the resolution was a bit high for my players on my HP TouchDroid (Touchpad with Android 4.0) so I ripped one down using the "iPhone 4" setting and it played. I'm doing another one at "iPhone 4" setting but might try ripping to the "Samsung" or "HTC" Setting to see if I can get a better quality rip. It's funny how the iPhone 4 setting is the lowest resolution .MP4 :D

So, FYI, if you are having problems playing straight .MP4 rips on your mobile device using the WinX DVD Ripper try one of the other settings.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:07 am

Just an update. The "Samsung" setting seems to have worked out really well and looks way better than the "iPhone 4" setting.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:17 pm

I've used WinX for converting some stuff to put on our internal site at work. Seems to do they job well enough but it's not like I know what I'm doing. Still, I've been happy with it and so have those that need to watch the videos.

Space Fry

Postby Splice » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 pm

I've used VidCoder to rip a bunch of my DVDs, HD-DVDs, and BluRays. It sounds like the app Nate used works similarly, and I too am running AnyDVD HD. Worked pretty seamlessly, even for discs with multiple titles like TV shows. I did run into some where it didn't work perfectly though, either not recognizing part of the video or ripping it in multiple parts that needed to be joined. Not sure exactly what tripped it up, but for most discs it was fine

I was actually ripping from ISOs I had previously created from my discs, and it will read those directly, so I was able to queue up a whole bunch of titles and let it run overnight and while I was at work. Also VidCoder is open source, if that pushes your button.

As a test, I encoded one movie I have on all three disc formats to see if I could notice a difference. On "iPad" setting, which is not HD, I saw no noticeable improvement from using an HD source over a good DVD source.

Space Fry

Postby infamous » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:28 pm

I think Handbrake can do that.
The artist formerly known as darkportal_4

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Handbrake can't do copy-write protected media.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Space Fry

Postby Splice » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 pm

That's where AnyDVD comes into play.

Tater Tot

Postby Richal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:22 am

Freemake or Handbrake.

Leawo DVD to MP4 converter is also very good, but it is a paid one.But you can get the cheap one when they offers big promotions.

Return to Software / Applications