Space Fry

Re: Windows 8

Postby Callred » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:23 am

/\ Agreed. I only have two machines running it here in test mode. So far it's been no big deal at all. But I don't want to have to retrain everyone on the new UI when it brings nothing to the table for us. No harm, no foul... but nothing I need either.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Callred wrote:As for touch screens; I'm curious about something. I hate that I have to clean the oils and such off my Razr Maxx all day long.. will you go to a stylus on your monitor? Otherwise the screen you work and game on will become even worse for wear over short periods of time.

Finger smudges are going to be a factor on any touch screen. But they won't be a visual deterrent while the screen is lit up; especially on larger displays. I imagine a quick wiping before sitting down to use it for a while will be the extent of the inconvenience. Unless you're tapping and swiping with your fingernails, a good coated glass surface shouldn't become worn.

Tater Tot

Postby ExcaliburXVII » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Windows 8 is shit.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Windows 8 is the shit.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:31 am

I'm with Fish on this one. Loving Windows 8! The multi-desktop improvements are worth the upgrade just by themselves. Let alone the better user interface and security improvements.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 am

I really wanted to hate it. I was on the hate bandwagon before it was released (see OP) but I find myself loving it. There's still no fucking point to the Metro UI though. If they did not include it I'm positive the "every-other OS is bad" thing would be broken. That said, Windows 8 was an incredibly smooth transition.

Tater Tot

Postby Richal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 am

Frankly speaking, I like the interface of win 8. But the operating system seems to be hard to master and also it runs slower than win 7 on my computer. I just want to downgrade to win 7.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey, so what exactly is Blue supposed to change in Windows 8? Let's say I have Windows 8 currently installed on my computer (I don't actually). Then tomorrow (hypothetically) I install Blue. What will I notice has changed.

All of the "info" on the Blue release has been so weirdly vague.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Sat May 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Nobody?

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed May 22, 2013 1:05 am

So Windows Blue, which is officially Windows 8.1, will be a free update towards the end of the year that mostly just focuses on the Modern/Metro UI. So you can now resize tiles and organize them around in different ways. Several pre-installed apps will also be getting major makeovers. They'll be improving mouse functionality in the tiled interface and will be including a bunch of tutorials (lawl).

For real users we'll finally have the ability to boot-to-desktop and an option to add a start button. Which I've already done with Start8.

There's absolutely nothing groundbreaking about any of it. Which is probably why they're being so vague. Because there's not really much to discuss.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Thu May 23, 2013 7:47 am

Synchronicity wrote:
For real users we'll finally have the ability to boot-to-desktop and an option to add a start button. Which I've already done with Start8.

I haven't played with Start8, but if this functionality is there in the update then my mother-in-law will be stoked. The in-laws recently updated their computer and it came with Windows 8, but they can't stand the Metro UI. I've set up the desktop view to replicate what they used to have with XP and that has them pleased again. Being able to boot direct and giving them back the start button will make them even happier.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Has anyone downloaded and tried out the official release of Windows 8.1?

I've been using Windows 8 for maybe a month now and I have to say:

MAN, WAS I WRONG!

Windows 8 is great. Oh, don't you fucking DARE get me wrong; Metro UI - it's existence, not how it works - is retarded (though, it'll make sense for the hybrid laptop/tablet I'm going to be buying soon), but everything but the Metro UI is good to go. Really, without the Metro UI, and with the 8.1 update Windows 8 is just Windows 7 (a perfectly good OS) with quick access tweaks. I love the corner features: charms side bar, quick flip button (lower left), pull down exit with Win 8 apps, how right clicking the bottom left corner of the screen brings up a 'secret' menu that has all of the engine stuff (file explorer, control panel, run, event viewer, etc), etc. The look of the OS is good, too. And, on top of booting up in, like five seconds, it runs faster overall than any other other Windows (and presumable any other OS ever).

The funny thing is all of the gripes that people have with the changes are easily overcome simply be LEARNING TO USE THE FUCKING THING. The windows key, for the first time in history, suddenly becomes super useful, the start button of old actually slows you down now (I don't even want it back with the 8.1 update), and snap viewing is the greatest thing ever (after the the 8.1 update). Oh, and people saying that while the layout is clearly designed for tablet use but is harder than before to use with a mouse and keyboard are crack heads. There's absolutely nothing difficult about using a true mouse to operate the system. BUT!... It absolutely is harder to use with a laptop's touch-pad. Having to get your cursor over to the screen sides/corners to do basic functions is a swiping pain. Then again, laptop touch-pads are a thing of the devil anyway, and always have been.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:37 pm

God, the installation process from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 was painful as fuck. The full version got corrupted, it was slow and shitty, and all of my programs were deleted. And I lost my key and didn't have a disc since I downloaded an upgrade version of W8. A whole day of pointless struggle later and now I'm back to normal. The whole exercise was an in-depth look at why Windows is such a poor operating system. So many bizarre design decisions and the whole licensing thing has always been a complete clusterfuck. I don't know why they couldn't save these details in their servers instead of forcing me to jump through hoops to get access to something I legally own. Why can't I just reformat without the bloody disc or having to pirate an ISO?

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 pm

One Fan To Another wrote:Has anyone downloaded and tried out the official release of Windows 8.1?

I've been using Windows 8 for maybe a month now and I have to say:

MAN, WAS I WRONG!

My experience with Win8 is generally limited to my dumb boss being completely obnoxious when I can't fix his problem in less than 3 seconds. To someone with limited experience, the UI changes are bizarre and unnatural, and it takes me several minutes to do something I could have otherwise done in a couple seconds.

Yeah, under the hood and beneath the UI, it's supposed to be a mild improvement. I suppose once you've taught yourself all the functions and quirks by doing Google searches (because there's no other way you would know), it can certainly be a functional system.

For me, where's the incentive? Why should I take the time to re-learn everything, because they're a bunch of arrogant pig-headed assholes? I hope the new CEO cleans house. This company clearly has a diseased upper-management.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Egg wrote:My experience with Win8 is generally limited to my dumb boss being completely obnoxious when I can't fix his problem in less than 3 seconds. To someone with limited experience, the UI changes are bizarre and unnatural, and it takes me several minutes to do something I could have otherwise done in a couple seconds.

Yeah, under the hood and beneath the UI, it's supposed to be a mild improvement. I suppose once you've taught yourself all the functions and quirks by doing Google searches (because there's no other way you would know), it can certainly be a functional system.

For me, where's the incentive? Why should I take the time to re-learn everything, because they're a bunch of arrogant pig-headed assholes? I hope the new CEO cleans house. This company clearly has a diseased upper-management.

Oh, ya, definitely. I should have started that post with "from the perspective of someone with advanced computer knowledge" or something. The point of my post was to be a lot like when Vista came out; people who... aren't fuck heads shouldn't have a problem with the system. And, in some cases Windows 8 makes things even easier than before once you learn them. It's perfectly understandable that the average clue-less a-hole would run away from anything that's more difficult to navigate than a cell phone OS. Hell, if you think about, there's been a clear market shift toward dumbed down, less useful computing devices for that simple fact.

How many times have you mentioned the registry to someone only to have them stare blankly at you?

This, of course, doesn't explain how there are massive numbers of people who say, "They changed Windows too much! Because of this I'm totally switching to Apple... with its OS that I've never used once in my life! But, you know, it's Apple so it's 'just works', right?"

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Microsoft is offering a 90 Day Trial of Windows 8.1 for those interested. Since Halloween is coming up, I suppose I could do something macabre and try it on a laptop that needs formatting.

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm

I haven't switched any of my PCs over to Windows 8 yet. I've had to deal with a couple times on client computers and I must say that my initial reaction was fairly close to downright hatred. It would probably get better if I had to use it daily but the vast majority of the UI changes are iritating to me, to say the least. I have no use for switching back and forth from Metro to the desktop and I don't particularly like how Metro itself works when an app is running. As with all things computer, some things are difficult to find until you just know where they are but 8 seems to delite in hiding things with no visual prompt at all (Control Panel, etc).

I honestly cannot fathom how they expected the average user to have a painless transition from previous OSes to this when they buy a new computer. It's basically "how do I do this?" "Where can I find this?" "Why can't I do this anymore?" from the new Windows 8 users I've had to work with. Yes, they'll learn over time. Oviously they were completely lost though, since I was being asked. That's a problem for a UI that is supposed to be designed to be intuitive for the masses.

I could probably get used to that stuff if it came down to it. More of a turn off when it comes to Windows 8 is it's forced itegration of the Cloud and hotmail/the internet with your user account. No thanks.

It doesn't get everything wrong, mind you. I did find several things in Win8 that I thought were pretty nice improvements. As an OS for tablets, it makes a lot of sense too. I just feel no pressing need or desire to upgrade to the Windows 8 experience.

-dolynick

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:16 am

dolynick wrote:I haven't switched any of my PCs over to Windows 8 yet. I've had to deal with a couple times on client computers and I must say that my initial reaction was fairly close to downright hatred. It would probably get better if I had to use it daily but the vast majority of the UI changes are iritating to me, to say the least. I have no use for switching back and forth from Metro to the desktop and I don't particularly like how Metro itself works when an app is running. As with all things computer, some things are difficult to find until you just know where they are but 8 seems to delite in hiding things with no visual prompt at all (Control Panel, etc).

I honestly cannot fathom how they expected the average user to have a painless transition from previous OSes to this when they buy a new computer. It's basically "how do I do this?" "Where can I find this?" "Why can't I do this anymore?" from the new Windows 8 users I've had to work with. Yes, they'll learn over time. Oviously they were completely lost though, since I was being asked. That's a problem for a UI that is supposed to be designed to be intuitive for the masses.

I could probably get used to that stuff if it came down to it. More of a turn off when it comes to Windows 8 is it's forced itegration of the Cloud and hotmail/the internet with your user account. No thanks.

It doesn't get everything wrong, mind you. I did find several things in Win8 that I thought were pretty nice improvements. As an OS for tablets, it makes a lot of sense too. I just feel no pressing need or desire to upgrade to the Windows 8 experience.

-dolynick

The funny thing is you can make just about anyone look like a complete moron when you tell them to right click the bottom left corner of the screen and see what happens. Also, Windows 8.1 lets you effectively turn off the Metro UI.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:06 am

One Fan To Another wrote:The funny thing is you can make just about anyone look like a complete moron when you tell them to right click the bottom left corner of the screen and see what happens. Also, Windows 8.1 lets you effectively turn off the Metro UI.

Cool. So if I do that, I'll get a list of all the programs I have installed? It's helpful to me if I can see all the programs installed on my computer, because I use my computer for running programs. I like to go to a place where I can see them, and pick one to run. Good to know that this very basic and necessary function is still there, and I never have to use Metro.

I'd say Windows 8 is more of an evolution. If Windows 7 and earlier were like driving a car with a steering wheel, Windows 8 is more like this. Just a different way of getting where you're going.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:16 am

Egg wrote:
One Fan To Another wrote:The funny thing is you can make just about anyone look like a complete moron when you tell them to right click the bottom left corner of the screen and see what happens. Also, Windows 8.1 lets you effectively turn off the Metro UI.

Cool. So if I do that, I'll get a list of all the programs I have installed? It's helpful to me if I can see all the programs installed on my computer, because I use my computer for running programs. I like to go to a place where I can see them, and pick one to run. Good to know that this very basic and necessary function is still there, and I never have to use Metro.

I'd say Windows 8 is more of an evolution. If Windows 7 and earlier were like driving a car with a steering wheel, Windows 8 is more like this. Just a different way of getting where you're going.

Hah, I have no idea what's going on in this post (I'm very sleepy right now).

Previous

Return to Software / Applications