Spud Runner
Site Admin

Windows 10

Postby Ellsworth » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:23 pm

I have some questions for all you spuds that have upgraded to Windows 10.

• How'd it go? Did you lose any data?
  • Pros and cons?
  • How does it compare to 7 and 8?
  • Do you have any advice regarding settings?

I'm currently running 7, and I've been postponing the upgrade until I get some more info.

However, my girlfriend ran the 10 update on her laptop and I turned off all the settings in Express, Cortana, Smartscreen, Microsoft Edge, Groove Music, and Music & TV until I learn more about them. We use the laptop for surfing the web and school work, but that's about it. So, there's not a ton of programs on it that could have been lost during the upgrade. I haven't spent much time with it but so far, so good.

Flyby Spud

Re: Windows 10

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Process was generally smooth on the 4 computers I upgraded. Only had issues on 2 of them. On my dad's computer decided to have bad video card drivers that caused a few crashes (it was an old AMD IGP 785 or something). On my laptop, it went smoothly, until something went horribly wrong and I needed to reformat to get it back (it's a 6 year old laptop though). I did backup my files before I did that, as all my efforts to restore it failed. My newer computers (Surface Pro 3 and my desktop) all upgraded without any issues.

Pros of Windows 10 - it's basically Windows 7 with the apps from Windows 8/8.1. Boots up quickly and works. DirectX 12 also helps gaming if video card and game support it.

Cons - I had an issue with my desktop for a while with the power button (see other thread) that fixed with the fall update (which is basically an OS upgrade the way they install it). That and occasionally you'll get the "try office for 1 month trial" randomly. Still haven't figured out how to disable that. I also lost the ability to use my ancient HDTV Wonder card due to a common driver update, not that I used it very often to begin with. Maybe it's just me, but the motherboard apps I installed don't boot with admin privileges, so they only sometimes work right away (which is fine because I hardly touch them). Mostly nit-picky things though.

Compared to Windows 7, it's basically the same with some modifications.
Compared to Windows 8, you lose the Metro start screen, and apps open in a windows instead of only full screen.

Settings-wise, not much I can think of. Not my area of expertise.

There is a downgrade option built-in if you don't like it and it'll revert your PC back to 7 or 8.1, but it's only good for 30 days.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Probably the easiest OS upgrade I've ever done. I was initially planning on doing a clean install, since that's the most prudent thing to do, but I was forced to upgrade from Windows 8 first. To my surprise literally all of my programs, core settings, drivers, and customizations remained intact and worked like nothing changed. I still clean installed just in case but man that was a breath of fresh air.

Have had 0 problems with Win10 and I'm in their insider program regularly getting beta builds. Windows 10 looks cleaner, feels more responsive, the design is a lot more cohesive, and it basically combines the best of Win7 and Win8. Plus the damn thing was free. I don't have a single con.

Yeah sure, privacy might be an issue for someone that's very conscious about it but you can just download a Windows 10 tweaking program and disable anything that might bother you. At this point all of my information is floating out in the wild anyway thanks to the OPM hack a while ago so I no longer really care about that. The flipside is Cortana is actually pretty useful with all of my personal info accessible.

I will note that Windows 10 seems to have a rougher time with any hardware that hasn't received a driver update since Windows 7. I have an old USB wifi stick that no longer works and will BSOD my PC when Windows 10 tries to install some generic drivers. I've also had to downgrade a lot of old laptops at work that people upgraded thinking it will work with W10. Instead the computer ends up practically unusable and will frequently crash because Windows insists on installing whatever bullshit drivers it thinks it needs. That said, I don't really hold it against Windows so much as the device manufacturers abandoning their products or people not realizing that some shit is just too old to use.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:13 pm

I was in no hurry to upgrade because DX12 games are still non-existent, but overall it was very painless. As already described, it carries everything over automatically, and I do mean EVERYTHING. It will preserve your desktop, your user folder, and all your apps and drivers and settings, etc., wherever possible... If you do have some programs that aren't "supported" by 10 it will ask you to uninstall them first, but just reinstall them afterward and it'll probably be fine even if you have to use compatibility mode.

My biggest gripe was with the ad-filled and excessively large new start menu, which completely fucked up the 'All Programs' list, so I'm using a program called Classic Shell that let's me use a replica of the one from Windows 7, instead. You can still launch the new apps like any other program, and even open up the new start menu if you want to. I got rid of most of that crap, though, as part of my nuking as much of the spyware off of my machine as possible. Blocked Microsoft servers in the firewall, disabled Cortana and some other unnecessary services, uninstalled pre-loaded junk like the Xbox app and goddamned Candy Crush...

If you care about that kind of thing, you sort of have to keep up with it, too, as they've already once re-named and re-activated the data mining service that constantly phones home to their servers since the OS officially launched. Along with one particular update reverting all the privacy settings back to their default of 'ON.' Yeah, I'm sure that was completely accidental, lol. :+

It definitely boots up faster, but I recommend doing the registry key tweak to disable the retarded SWIPE SCREEN that comes up when you first turn on the computer. I don't need that on my desktop PC, thanks. Supposedly it will help game performance in general because of lower overhead compared to previous OSes, but I don't know that to be true.

I think the flat look is dumb and makes multiple windows blend together too much (especially since out-of-focus windows turn white), but the corner-snapping and being able to have multiple virtual desktop spaces you can swap between sort of makes up for that. My favorite part is probably the new and improved file transfer dialog, though, with the graph showing moment-to-moment copy speed... Maybe that says something about the OS in general. Or me!

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, fellas! Much appreciated.

I'm gonna do a clean install of W10 soon.

jacobvandy wrote:If you care about that kind of thing [spyware], you sort of have to keep up with it, too, as they've already once re-named and re-activated the data mining service that constantly phones home to their servers since the OS officially launched. Along with one particular update reverting all the privacy settings back to their default of 'ON.' Yeah, I'm sure that was completely accidental, lol. :+

Lame. Was this update a one-time thing or is it gonna continue to happen over and over again? I wonder if there's some kind of fix out there to prevent the privacy settings from reverting back to default.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:30 am

I haven't had my settings messed with since I started using it, and I've not heard of any more recent incidents of that nature. There are also several tools out there people have made that can go through and take care of this stuff automatically, disabling unnecessary services and whatnot, so that makes it pretty easy if you would need to do it more than once.

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 pm

I currently have 11 PCs (under my care) moved over to Windows 10, with 2 left to go. All but 2 of them have been upgrades, although in the case of HTPCs I normally do a full wipe/re-install after I've done the initial upgrade.

I've only tried one upgrade from Windows Update and it failed. Since then I just use a USB stick with the Win10 ISO on it and manually do the upgrade when I am ready. It's actually easier because you don't have to wait in a queue after request or anything. I've never had the upgrade from USB fail.

I have had some issues with Windows 10 setup in general, but nothing that prevented it outright. Most often the system will hang during the first "Hi. We're getting your system ready" portion after the basic installation. In every instance that this has happened (after ~30 min I give up on it), just doing a hard reset the PC and having it reboot and try again has worked and everything is fine.

Generally speaking about Windows 10, after the big fall update I'm relatively happy with it. There are quite a few privacy settings you may want to change but a lot of them are in the same place. The fall update did reset some of these on one or two PCs after the update but on many others, it just added one or two more that needed to be changed. The Xbox app is a bit annoying with games but not too bad that I went to the trouble of uninstalling it yet (I just changed the settings to not annoy). I haven't bothered doing anything with the "phone home" service that Jacob and the others are so concerned about. Mainly it appears to be tied initial boot (activation, MS accounts, etc) and Metro style apps doing a check when they get started. Printers and devices is a bit of a mess and I'm not a fan of it but I haven't mucked about with that stuff much either (things work, Win 10 just lists everything it can see, sometimes multiple times if you have it installed and it is also network aware).

Most software and drivers have worked fine. There are a couple hardware devices that I haven't found a driver for but it's mainly special motherboard stuff on older systems that doesn't seem to affect anything anyways. Intel ICHR Raid is a problem if you happen to be using it, so be aware of that (there is a work around if you need but ask before you try because it's a huge mess of non-bootable system if you do it wrong). Some software with UI integration for older Windows versions can be an issue, but will often work anyways. Core Temp is a no-no as it will hang a system (not sure if there is an updated version yet) and EVGA Precision was causing me issues at start-up (it was screwing with keyboard input for a few minutes after boot) so I dumped it for Afterburner and all good now.

I don't have a big issue with the Start Menu. As Jacob mentioned, it does default to having a ton of crap in it but it takes a few seconds to just remove those tiles and then you start populating it with what you actually want instead. Once that's done, I actually kind of like the new Start Menu. Also be aware that you can pin any EXE you want to it even if it's not in the "All Apps" section but you have to go through Windows Explorer and do it from a right-click context menu on the EXE itself.

Another thing to be aware of is that the large fall update that fixed up a lot of things (including making Edge basically useable) will not show up in Windows Update until your 30 day downgrade period has passed. If you've done a clean install (post initial upgrade or with a new license), the update will be there right away. This is a pretty serious update and will reset some system settings (network throttling, codecs in WMP, possibly some privacy settings) so you may want to keep that in mind before you get too settled with Win 10 on upgrade.

Return to Software / Applications