Spud Raider

Network access & security issues

Postby Ronin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:02 pm

OK guys, I hardly know anything about networking and here's what I'm up against. I have devices on my network that I can't tell what they are. I have a Belkin N600 wired/wireless router and here's what's connected:
http://imgur.com/c1xAfXy

sadly Belkin doesn't have an option to let me just kick devices off as that's what I would do and see who starts crying!

I recently changed my wifi password after I discovered my kids had each gotten a wireless device without my knowledge and logged on. Just by doing the device 'count' I was able to see that we had more than expected and when I showed them they fessed up. So I changed the password but now like 4 days later I have just as many devices.

I got the glasswire firewall demo but that seems more for tracking programs on your PC that connect than tracking other people connected. I have my droid phone & nexus 7, the 2 apple devices are my wife's. The HOME11 & 7 are wired connections, my Roku, smart TV & Blu-Ray player are all wired as well and I am not worried about them. I am using WPA/WPA2 security with an 8 digit password.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on tightening this up. Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Runner

Re: Network access & security issues

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:56 pm

So you have three extra clients connected? You should be able to block wireless access to unknown MAC addresses, all that would take is checking the devices you do want allowed and adding their MAC to a whitelist. Anything else would then be blocked whether they have the password or not. Check under your security settings for a MAC filter, or whatever Belkin may call it. If that function isn't available, you might also try throttling the unwanted connections down to dial-up speeds with your QoS settings. :P

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Yeah, I'm with Jacob on this one. Best bet will be to only authorize known MACs. You can also setup specific IPs that are matched to the MACs (reserved IPs is usually what they are called). Then based on those IPs you can setup specific times they are allowed to connect, and as Jacob said. Set them up so they are throttled to a really slow speed.

Also, an 8 digit password isn't very strong. I'd recommend going for something at least 16 digits or longer. Now-a-days its relatively easy to crack these lighter passwords.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:29 pm

That is terrific advice guys. I hadn't even thought about using MAC addresses as a way to filter devices out. I'll see what the best way to do that is using my standard Belkin software.

My router has been a bit 'wonky' lately; kicking us all off, taking forever to reboot and generally being unstable. I think I might have to replace it soon and I can do a better job of locking the new one up.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Return to Software / Applications