Spud Raider

Windows reinstall with SSD --advice needed

Postby Ronin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:04 pm

OK guys. I have a 120GB SSD & a 2TB hard drive and I need to reinstall windows 7. Right now my SSD has the Windows install & precious little else. I only have 58gigs used on the SSD after 8 months. I use my 2TB for everything: STEAM installs and other games and bigger programs like Adobe stuff & what not. I have my Documents folders all mapped to the 2TB drive as well. So here's the question: Can I reinstall Windows 7 on the SSD without wiping the 2TB drive? I don't care if I need to delete & reinstall my games if necessary but I am hoping to avoid the total wipe. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Re: Windows reinstall with SSD --advice needed

Postby quietenigma » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:24 pm

If you're reinstalling onto the SSD it shouldn't wipe your 2TB. Also you can choose whether or not to keep your old files.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:20 am

So do you think I should just disconnect my 2TB drive & run windows 7 install on the SSD and then once it's done reconnect the 2TB drive? I think that's what Smitty had recommended for when I built it originally just to prevent Windows from 'being confused' about which drive to install on.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby quietenigma » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 am

That'd be your safest bet honestly. Plus it doesn't take long and it's a simple fix. :3

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:42 pm

I will give it a try this weekend (I hope!)

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:43 pm

He's right, it shouldn't interfere with your 2TB drive in any way. All you have to do is take care not to tell it to delete the wrong partition or something, which can be avoided entirely by unplugging it beforehand if you don't trust yourself. :p Though you don't have to technically do that, if you just tell it to install on the SSD again, it will detect the old install and put all of it into a folder that you can still access or delete later on.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:12 pm

I will unplug my 2TB but I think I will make a copy of my current partition and throw it on a spare HDD so if I have any real problems I can use the copy.

Return to Software / Applications