Spud Raider

Uninstalling Windows 8.1 / Going back to Windows 7

Postby Ronin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:18 pm

OK. We were messing around with Windows 8.1 here in our mancave. I upgraded our "XP Machine" to Windows 8.1 and we enjoyed it but like an idiot I let my 14 year old son convince me to install it on his PC without further testing or thought. Now Gmod lags, his tiles lag & he's having other problems. I am not ready to totally learn a new OS to fix his problems so i think going back to Windows 7 is the solution for now.

I installed Windows 8.1 pro as an upgrade to his Windows 7 64bit Premium and I can see the Windows.old directory on his SSD but have no idea how to revert. The stuff on the web says to basically wipe everything and start from scratch but I would really prefer to go back to the previous install (I mean that's what it's kept for, right??)

I'd really appreciate any tips or opinions with this. Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider

Re: Uninstalling Windows 8.1 / Going back to Windows 7

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:26 pm

There's no reverting. Operating systems don't work like that. The best thing you can do is take certain non-volatile files (documents, photos, videos, most games like those in your SteamApps directory) and manually drag it from Windows.old to the new Windows installation. Or keep it on a separate drive and never really have to bother with it again besides manually linking your Library files. Do this before you reinstall Windows because it will write-over the previous Windows.old folder.

Also, the lagging sounds like a driver problem. Did you install all of the correct video, sound, input, and motherboard drivers directly from the manufacturer (not Windows Update)? They have to be Windows 8.1 Pro and 64-bit (assuming that's what you're using).

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:39 pm

I did manage to fix a bunch of the lag and went through Services and stuff and got everything going like it was in Windows 7 ( for the most part) so I guess I can hold off for now.

I always thought the 'windows.old' folder had the old install so you could go back to it. What is that file for if you can't do anything with it?

Worst case is a fresh install and an hour of my time wasted (more like two with updates and software re-installs) but that's ok.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Its purpose is to retain all the old settings and documents and shit that was left on your C drive in the event that you forgot something when backing up or didn't back up at all. Otherwise you just delete it.

Return to Software / Applications