Tater Tot

UNi Xonar Drivers

Postby ExcaliburXVII » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these? I want to go with these over the ASUS drivers as I've seen a few people say that these have better sound quality, bass, and positional audio, but I figured I'd ask someone who might have experience with them if they're worth jumping through the hoops (AKA using additional scripts) to mange the microphone and such. I'm just using a stereo headset, nothing fancy.

Spud Raider

Re: UNi Xonar Drivers

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Yes, the UNi drivers are superior in all respects to the stock drivers, especially in respect to Windows 8. ASUS has completely and utterly dropped the ball on driver support. The custom Xonar Unified drivers are actually more responsive, more stable, and less of a resource hog. There aren't very many hoops to jump through save to disable Windows driver checking before installing it.

Tater Tot

Postby ExcaliburXVII » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Alright, it must just be unnecessarily complicated on their website then. They've got the driver download, and then "Standalone apps for applying settings", including:
"Front panel switch v3.2*
SampleRate switch v1.2*
Microphone Array Enabler v1.1* (might be useful if you have an microphone array)
HDAV HDMI enabler v1.0* (This application hasn’t been tested please submit feedback if it works or not; It appears it is not needed anymore)
Acoustic Echo Cancellation enabler v1.0 *(useful for other Cmedia 8788 based cards that lack this setting)
Stereo upmix switch v1.0*
7.1 virtual speaker shifter enhanced profile v1.0* mirror (profile created by Cu. This profile should enhance the effect of positioning in games when using Dolby Headphones and 7.1 virtual speaker shifter. Please provide feedback about this profile. Demo)
Headphones ohm Amp switch v1.0 * ( works only with the cards that support this)"

Just sounded like some hoops to me, lol. So I should be able to use my microphone etc. from a fresh Uni Xonar 1.72 install? Thanks for the help man, it's been a while.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:50 pm

What kind of Xonar card do you have? UNi stands for Unified and it's a one-size-fits-all driver. For the cards that have unique features, like the HTPC Xonar card with HDMI, you'll need one of the add-ons for it to work. Conversely, some of the cheaper models might be missing features that more expensive cards have despite the fact that it is perfectly capable of using it, so the add-on will give it that missing functionality.

But yeah, at the end of the day the base drivers are all you need. And you might what the enhanced 7.1 profile. That just messes with the virtual speaker shifter so that you have better positional audio.

Tater Tot

Postby ExcaliburXVII » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 pm

I have the DX, so I was already planning on getting the 7.1. I just asked about those because you have to download them all as one .exe and it pops up as a virus, so I was hoping you had experience with it directly. I appreciate the help.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Yeah I do. And that's all you need then. Before you install you'll need to hit F8 before you start Windows and disable device driver enforcement or whatever. And then you should be good to go.

And I have no idea why it's popping up as a virus. What are you using? The only anti-virus software I bother with is Windows Defender and my brain.

Tater Tot

Postby ExcaliburXVII » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Well I have Avast, but Chrome blocked it. I've never had that happen.

It is slightly sketchy though, it's only 803KB. Apparently I'm going to have to use Firefox to download it.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Ah, the FAQ contains this:

12. My antivirus says that the UNi Xonar driver package has a virus?
Most likely it is a false positive. Possible causes are the packaging of the drivers or the presence of driver cleaner in the UNI Xonar installer which deletes (driver) files from Windows folder.
While it’s highly unlikely that any UNi Xonar driver packages would contain actual viruses, if you really want to be sure then you can submit the driver package for analysis to http://www.virustotal.com for a wider analysis.

I know Chrome has been getting really aggressive about certain files like memory injectors. It'll sometimes block game trainers from being downloaded.

Tater Tot

Postby ExcaliburXVII » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:55 am

Funny thing is, someone did submit it to VirusTotal. But that'll happen. I guess I didn't know how aggressive Chrome was because I haven't been having enough fun with my games lately, lol.

Return to Software / Applications