Flyby Spud

Why Is My IE So Broken?

Postby One Fan To Another » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Well, howdy, y'all!

For a while now I've been using Chrome as my web browser, but I had also been reading a lot of positive remarks on the newest iteration of IE 11 and how it's mostly on par, speed wise, with Chrome. Since it's built right into Windows 8.1 (as all IE is with Windows, of course) I figured I'd give it a go.

Something's not right with my IE 11, though. It's not just a usual, "Well, IE sucks" cliché situation, either. I'm experiencing crashes, "Bad Gateway" errors, long load times of certain web sites, flash is a complete mess (YouTube videos won't even start half of the time unless I click the play button a couple of times), and there is the odd freeze.

I've tried, disabling/enabling IE11 through the "add features to windows" options, I've tried looking for updates, etc, but nothing is fixing the browser. Chrome still works just fine.

I know the quick answer is, "Well, just keep using Chrome" but that doesn't fix the actual issue. In fact, it doesn't even explain what the issue is. Do any of you guys know what the issue might be and how I can resolve it - any of it?

Flyby Spud

Re: Why Is My IE So Broken?

Postby grey_area » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm

It's a large install from what I've seen when upgrading from earlier versions. Could something have happened during the installation or updates after the fact? If so, then looking at an uninstall and reinstall.

Sorry, but that is all I can come up with. I've had shot installations of IE before though, and some of them have been complete buggers to correct. On my in-laws old XP box I never ever was able to get IE 8 installed. Best of luck, but would love to hear if you get it sorted.

Tater Tot

Re: Why Is My IE So Broken?

Postby R2Dani » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:12 am

There's always Image... I used it once and it helped a bit.

Return to Software / Applications