Spud Raider

Monitor wireless activity on a home network

Postby Ronin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:58 pm

My son is a freshman in high school and he was issued an Ipad and I just learned he's chatting on some forums I don't approve of. I can monitor his PC activity easily enough but now I want to see what is running through my Belkin N600 router. I have NO experience with the Apple OS and since he has an Ipod Touch that can also access the Internet I think I am better served just watching traffic than trying to handle each device individually. I don't need to restrict our activity so much as keep an eye on what's being said in various chat rooms. I'd appreciate any suggestions you can give me. Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Re: Monitor wireless activity on a home network

Postby Egg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Geez. I'm not a parent, but I certainly feel for you. Years ago, there was only one (1) PC in a house with slow dialup internet, and all you had to do was cover that single PC. Today, there's probably a half-dozen or more internet connected devices in every house, and free broadband Wi-Fi connections around every corner. There's no possible way you can lock down every device they might encounter, and whatever you do at home doesn't prevent them from walking around the block and catching a free wi-fi signal. If a kid is determined to see something, it just seems hopeless trying to stop them.

All you can really use is direct confrontation and threats of repercussions.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:32 pm

You can easily block his iPad so that he can't use the internet on it in your house, at least. And Apple is all about family wholesome prudishness, so I'm sure there are parental controls in there that you can lock it down with. There isn't really any way to monitor internet traffic in the way you want, it always involves installing what is essentially authorized spyware on a computer or device to get some information that way, or even view what's on the screen.

I assume the school is giving it to him for digital books and crap, so why does he have internet access anyway? I doubt they're paying for mobile network usage, but if they are you definitely have cause to complain to them about that. Or even on the basis of them giving him a device capable of doing such things at all, when it's your concern that it represents an unwelcome and/or inappropriate distraction. They might even help you out to get some control over the device if you ask them, because [hopefully] you're not the only parent to have an issue with it. Well, assuming it's a public school. A private one might just tell you to fuck off and wipe their ass with your money in front of you.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Egg,

Sadly I didn't instill the curiosity about computers that I have in my kids. I know way more about systems than they do, kind of like my Dad knows way more about cars than I do. Where or not he'll figure it out that any wifi will work... we have just a few weak signals but we are putting the Ipad on a charge in our kitchen at 8pm on school nights just to be safe.

Jacob,

It's a private school actually and since he's a Freshman I haven't talked to other parents about it yet. Conferences are next week so I'll visit the IT department and ask about some controls. It's a Catholic school and they own the Ipad so I am sure ( at least I hope) they have a pretty strict policy about what the device can be used for. He went a little pale when I said that going to the school with their Ipad was my best option so I'm sure you're right.

I was thinking that I could 'read' the traffic in the router like you 'read' and internet history. I guess I'll have to petition the NSA to find out what's being sent!
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Ronin wrote:Egg,

Sadly I didn't instill the curiosity about computers that I have in my kids. I know way more about systems than they do, kind of like my Dad knows way more about cars than I do. Where or not he'll figure it out that any wifi will work... we have just a few weak signals but we are putting the Ipad on a charge in our kitchen at 8pm on school nights just to be safe.

Eh, that's really only a matter of time. Internet devices are quickly becoming a part of everyday life. If the schools are using iPads in curriculum they'll probably teach him how to connect to wi-fi networks and such, and he'll know that thing inside-out in no time. Even as it sits, I'm sure you're grossly underestimating his current knowledge.

What you have going for you right now is that he may simply not have much interest in the things you're trying to keep him away from. Yet. That could all change next week. I think that limiting his access to the device during downtime is a good idea, though that still doesn't affect what he does with it between the time he leaves for school and when he comes home. I'm sure that if there's any way to get around whatever protection the school is using, all of his friends will know exactly how to do it in short order.

Rather than him worrying about how he's going to get around device protections, I think it's better to have him worry about you.

Return to Software / Applications