Flyby Spud

Mouse Settings, Acceleration?

Postby Egg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Hey guys, I recently added an SSD, and thus reinstalled Windows and had to retweak some of my in-game settings. When I got to Skyrim, I noticed a bit of mouse lag, so I started screwing with all my mouse settings.

Long story short, apparently I've been running with Mouse Acceleration enabled most of these years, and without it, I feel like a clumsy retard. Supposedly running with acceleration OFF will make you more accurate in gaming (makes sense), but I'm really struggling on the desktop side of things. I'm completely missing buttons and constantly clicking on the wrong thing. Does anyone know for certain whether "enhance pointer precision" in the Windows control panel affects anything other than just acceleration?

Also, out of curiosity, what sort of mouse hardware and settings is everyone using? I'll start:

Razer Lachesis (first model)
Razer Goliathus Mousepad 10.5" x 8x5"

DPI: 1000
Polling Rate: 500hz
Acceleration: OFF (at the moment)

Spud Raider

Re: Mouse Settings, Acceleration?

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Yeah, it's strictly acceleration. A lot of games have acceleration built into them by default and the only way to disable it is to fudge around the .ini files or going into the console. Also remember that vSync generates input lag.

I have a Razer DeathAdder Black 3.5G and a Steelseries QcK+ pad (17.7 x 15.7 inches). I try to run at 1800dpi for accuracy's sake but I frequently default to 3500. I just don't like moving my wrists across the entire desk to get somewhere. Also 1000hz polling rate for accuracy and stopping any sort of prediction.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm currently testing with a 1000hz polling rate. I remember having some sort of an issue with it a couple years back, but I can't remember what it was.

As far as DPI, is there any benefit to going up to, say 1500dpi and then turning the movement speed down to match what I had at 1000dpi?

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:06 pm

No idea. Give it a try.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 am

It's just crazy how turning acceleration off has had such a negative impact on my precision. I seem to be doing okay in games (maybe even slightly better in FPS), but on the desktop I just suck. I almost wish there were a way to keep acceleration enabled on the desktop and then automatically disable it when playing a game.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Way back when I figured out that mouse acceleration sucked (no matter the application) and needed to be disabled, I cranked up the sensitivity a bit to compensate in the pointer speed. But any major change you make to that will require some acclimation... Don't turn back now.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I have a Razer Mamba and I keep it at 1800dpi and 1000Hz. I've kept it like that ever since I got this thing. I played around with it quite a bit when I first got it and haven't changed the settings since. I'm sure if I were to do that now it would frustrate me with how sensitive it would become.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:58 am

Have you tried hot keying the acceleration function? When you are on desktop turn it on and right before you go into a game turn it off.

With my G7 mouse I have the DPI cranked to about 1800dpi as well and haven't looked back. Took me a bit to get used to it but now that I am anything less irritates the snot out of me.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:13 am

Mouse acceleration is the worst thing ever.

...That is all.

Return to Software / Applications