Flyby Spud

Cyanogen on Asus Transformer

Postby grey_area » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:25 am

I've gotten sick of the performance lag on my Transformer. Many people say they had a decent increase in speed once they hacked their system and installed Cyanogen instead of the stock Asus ROM, so I figure I'll give it a go. Looks insanely complicated so I'll be reading up plenty and making notes and backups before I do anything odd to my tablet, but it should also be fun.

I think I'll save this for the weekend, but setting the ground work now.

Any of you guys flashed a custom ROM onto a droid?

Flyby Spud

Re: Cyanogen on Asus Transformer

Postby Natedog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:27 am

I turned my HP Touchpad into a TouchDroid. It was super easy to follow the directions and if I can turn a WebOS tablet into a dual boot Android tablet then you can definitely do this. Just find a youtube tutorial, or web write up on the How-To.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:20 pm

I've flashed a custom ROM on every Android device I've ever owned, including a Kindle Fire HD (which worked poorly due to a lack of drivers). After your first time it becomes super easy. It really just amounts to unlocking the bootloader, installing a recovery partition on your device from your PC, and then dropping and flashing .ZIPs on the device itself. Some devices are more complicated than others because some companies actively resist attempts at modding (HTC, any carrier-branded phone) but ASUS is thankfully pretty cool with it. Flashing anything by Samsung is a breeze and, with the exception of anything Nexus, Sony is the best manufacturer when it comes to custom firmware. They release their drivers into the open source and sometimes help out modders.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:02 pm

I found this out. I had little idea what I was getting into, but have been reading up pretty heavily over the last week or so. My Asus was running laggy as all hell.

Decided I couldn't wait till the weekend so set about figuring out what to do today and suddenly here I am booting into CM 10.2 and my TF700T suddenly has Android 4.3, when Asus only ever updated it to 4.2.1 before walking away.

Woot!

And it is FAST! Compared to before this thing purrs along. You're right too, now I know what to do, flashing a custom rom in the future will be a piece of cake.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Yup! 4.3 is great because it introduces TRIM support, which is the major reason why most of your devices slowed down over time regardless of what you installed. Keep on the lookout for CM 11 and Android 4.4.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:05 am

I'm finding it an interesting experience, especially because I decided to go the whole way into getting the nightly updates rather than just stick with the stable builds. A few idiosyncrasies, but still running much nicer than the Asus stock ROM, and no deal breakers yet. I just can't wait till they start releasing the CM Kit-kat builds. Asus stopped supporting the TF700 (supposedly a flagship type of deal less than a year ago, the bastards) at 4.2, so this will be a nice way to get access to the later versions of Android without having to buy a new tablet.

That said, unless they change their attitude I'll not be buying Asus again, but will go for something ironic, like the Nexus series, which yes I know is built by Asus, but it does receive better support from Google because it was a subcontract job and not Asus' own product.

Return to Software / Applications