Tater Tot

Blu-ray on windows

Postby johnnm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:05 am

I took a look at a LifeHacker article (http://lifehacker.com/5806252/how-can-i-play-blu+ray-discs-on-my-computer) on playing Blu-ray disks on computers. It was written in 2011. Besides shelling out more than $60 for PowerDVD or waiting 30 minutes to rip the movie to your hard disk, are there any other options that exist today?

Tater Tot

Re: Blu-ray on windows

Postby Richal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 am

To play Blu-ray on windows, you need the powerful enough PC like what said in this article "http://tablet-of-android.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-best-methods-to-play-blu-ray-on-pc.html"

Of course, if we just play Blu-ray movies on our laptop, we can just use the Free VLC media player to do it.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 am

My OEM blu-ray drive I got several years ago came with a free basic copy of power DVD. It's nothing fancy but it plays movies fine. I don't watch too many movies on disc with my pc but it's nice to have it as a back up in case my PS3 craps itself. I've been tempted to get a blu-ray drive for the laptop but given it's age, I may just wait and buy a new one with the drive already in it. I'm sorta surprised that Microsoft hasn't tried to get media player to work with Blu-rays.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm

jwhx wrote:I'm sorta surprised that Microsoft hasn't tried to get media player to work with Blu-rays.

Being that Media Player is included with Windows, they'd have to pay a licensing fee for every copy of Windows sold. Same reason VLC doesn't play Blu-ray, but can play any H.264 file off your hard drive.

Return to Software / Applications