Tater Tot

Quite new to linux - have any tips?

Postby johnnm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:40 am

I was forced to use Red Hat for two semesters in school for programming classes. That was probably 4 years ago. All I did was use a text editor and the terminal to type in the commands we learned in class to compile the programs.

I just installed Linux Mint and this is my first distro I'm ever using at home. I had a bit of trouble too.
I burned the .iso to a DVD, set it to boot from the optical drive, and launched the installer from there. It worked, but upon trying to boot from the hard drive, I couldn't get past the login screen. It would accept my username and password, then the screen would go black for a moment, and it would be back at the login screen asking for my username again. After 6 times of going through this I received a prompt stating the "display driver" had crashed 6 times in 90 seconds and that something was amiss. It would then take me to a command prompt. From here, some googling led me to believe the command "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current" might save me. I guess it installs the most up to date video drivers. It worked, thank god, and now everything is good.

Anyway, I plan on using this OS for everything except gaming starting very soon. I'm sure I'm going to learn a whole lot about it as I go. Does anyone have any tips on starting to become more familiar with the terminal? Also, any thoughts on partitioning schemes? (/, /usr, /home, /var, etc)?

Flyby Spud

Re: Quite new to linux - have any tips?

Postby LORD-ORION » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:28 pm

This is what I do

Windows Workstation
Putty
WinSCP
Scintilla text editor (my favorite, but whatever)

Linux Server (no UI)
OpenSSH

You really have no choice now, but to learn terminal to do things... You do all linux work/learning from a putty window, but you can use WinSCP to move files around for configuration edit because really, a UI is much faster to edit in.

First lesson
Setup a key for openSSH so you don't need to login with user/pass everytime you open a putty session.

Return to Software / Applications