Spud Runner

About registering as a new user

Postby jacobvandy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Just some nitpicking here, from what I noticed just now registering for the forums. That process is, after all, usually one of the first things a new member goes through, but right now it's a bit rough. Mainly there are font colors that are too light and make it difficult to read the terms of service (light blue on the even lighter blue background) or impossible to read some of the drop-down menu boxes both while registering and in the user control panel (light blue or grey on white). Also, when you get the confirmation email, looks like the name of the site isn't in the form letter at all, so it says Welcome to "" in the subject line, etc.

Overall, though, the site looks great! Well, except for those smilies over there on the right side of this message form that I just noticed... The icons need some coloring around the edges to blend in to the background. :P

Flyby Spud

Re: About registering as a new user

Postby Egg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I noticed a couple minor things as well; the font in the dropdown boxes being one of them. I started making a list to post later, but overall they're mainly just small tweaks. Being at work I haven't had a chance to really take a good look.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up, fellas! There's gonna be stuff like that needs tweaked, so we appreciate it.

Jacob: Were you really trying to read the terms of service? :P Some font settings from the CSS are repeated throughout the site. They work in some places and don't in others. We haven't registered any new accounts in quite a while, so we missed that. Thanks. We have a fix in mind. The subject line for the account activation email has been fixed.

As for the smilies.. Their backgrounds are white to match the white in the post background. I tried making them transparent, but the edges came out jagged and they looked like crap. So, I went with matching the post background. Maybe Mr. Fish can work some magic on 'em to make the transparent image look good. I think it might be cool to load up a different set every so often, just for kicks.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 pm

I didn't try to read them until I saw that I couldn't, lol. Almost gives the impression you're trying to hide something, sneaky bastards. But also, I'm seeing the name of the site, like what you see at the top of your browser or on the tab, says "Space PotatoesSpace Potatoes."

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 am

Perhaps it's just me, but in Firefox some of the buttons don't line up. That is, the "home button, forums, <board>" bar is cut off by the Game Night info. It looks better in IE, but a bit odd in FF. Not a big concern, but something to look into.

As far as registering, the Language and Timezone seemed a bit too light in color until selecting that box.

edit: For whatever reason it looks better now. Must've been an intermittent thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 am

^ I was making some changes that skewed things for a bit.

Tater Tot

Postby Transco901 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey guys...

I also noticed on the Registration form that hovering over one combobox would make the text in another disappear. I'm referring to the 'Language' and 'Time zone' combos:

I'm on Windows 8 Pro, latest version of FireFox.

EDIT: I think this is an intended blur affect.. it just doesn't work for the registration page IMO. :crazy:

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 am

^ Fixed.

Return to Feedback