Flyby Spud

Bug Inserting Images?

Postby Egg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:51 pm

I've been having a few oddities when trying to insert images into the body of a post. When I attempt to submit or even preview, I'll sometimes get a red box with the message:

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

This only happens occasionally, but I've determined that (at least in my case) the error has something to do with the encoding of the image itself. If I open and re-save the offending image in a photo editor, it will resolve the issue. These have all been images taken from the internet, but I've had no problems with them elsewhere (so far).

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Re: Bug Inserting Images?

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Because we set a limit on the size an image can be it has to be able to read the image size data in order to compare it for posting. So this would not be something that we can fix. And we won't be changing the size limitation because it would interfere with the layout of the forums.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Re: Bug Inserting Images?

Postby Egg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 am

Interesting. So the image size is determined only by the metadata encoded in the image, and won't post if it isn't present? That's understandable, but could get annoying depending on how prevalent missing metadata is across the internet. What if an image misrepresents it's size in the metadata?

Return to Feedback