Flyby Spud

Tweaks / Suggestions

Postby Egg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 am

I'm sure I'll have more later, but here's what I've got so far

• Fix font colors in dropdown boxes (and a few other places) so they are visible without a mouseover. (Already mentioned elsewhere)
  • Create option for user to toggle thread icons (e.g., rocket, potato) in control panel. I personally find them distracting, though others may like them.
  • Create option for user to globally set post sorting within threads. I prefer to have the newest posts at the top (or "Decending" as it's called here), but currently each thread needs to be set manually.
  • Create option for user to specify their screen resolution (and increase page width). I'm seeing about 1150 pixels of width used on my 1920 wide display (40% empty space). Being gamers, I doubt anyone will be visiting with a res under 1440x900.

I'll let you guys know what else I find, but overall nothing major to report on launch day. Great job!

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Re: Tweaks / Suggestions

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks, Egg!

Please keep in mind that we're confined, to a certain extent, to the capabilities of the phpBB software. Currently, there are some things we can't do. There's lots of mods out there, and we're looking into a few that we hope will enhance the forums, but it's going to take some time. We'll keep an eye out for any that do some of the things you mention here.

For now, this is the size we've chosen, but the layout will change over time. Fish has lots of ideas, and we'd like to change the design every once in a while to keep things fresh.

As for toggling the potatoes on and off... :(
Love the potato, Egg. It loves you.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 am

Sounds reasonable. Like I said, none of these things are dealbreakers, but if I had to pick, I'd say the ability to globally set all threads to "decending" would be more important to me.

I actually like the current design alot. If the user can't choose their own width (which admittedly would be a complicated feature to implement) I think another 200 pixels in width would go a long way.

Just to add to the things above, does anyone know how to implement the target="_blank" option for links using BBCode? I'd always rather have a link open a new window/tab rather than drag someone away from the current page.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:08 am

Maybe I'm crazy, but I NEVER have my web browser maximized. That's just the way I use Windows, to actually have multiple windows up on the desktop kind of spread around and overlapping. Anyhow, site is a perfect width for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:28 am

I found the setting to globally make all threads list posts in "decending" order (newest at the top).

Control Panel, Board Preferences, Edit Display Options, Display Post Order Direction

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 am

My muscle memory keeps wanting the "post reply" on the right since I'm so used to FiringSquad's layout. :P

Can you also copy the "Return to [x]" at the top rather than just being in the bottom (it's underneath post reply)? Again, FS muscle memory.

Last nitpick has to do with the color of the potatoes when there's a new thread. The slight hue of red on the potato just isn't noticeable enough at a glance to let you know there's an unread thread.

But that's literally everything that I can think of. You guys outdid yourselves.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 am

I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger or bolded "Return to <board> Page." I'll have to play around with the forums a bit to get used to it.

Bonus factor, I can view these forums at work :) Great job to all who had a hand in developing this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:11 pm

jacobvandy wrote:Maybe I'm crazy, but I NEVER have my web browser maximized. That's just the way I use Windows, to actually have multiple windows up on the desktop kind of spread around and overlapping. Anyhow, site is a perfect width for me.

^This^

I'm never maximized either. I'm sure it will be fine at home on my 1920 monitor w/ window but here at work is another story. I have horizontal scrolling issues with the current width already. Please, no wider.

-dolynick

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 pm

dolynick wrote:^This^

I'm never maximized either. I'm sure it will be fine at home on my 1920 monitor w/ window but here at work is another story. I have horizontal scrolling issues with the current width already. Please, no wider.

-dolynick

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Synchronicity wrote:Last nitpick has to do with the color of the potatoes when there's a new thread. The slight hue of red on the potato just isn't noticeable enough at a glance to let you know there's an unread thread.

I agree with this. I know it was probably an aesthetic choice to do things the way they are now, but having the word 'NEW' on the potato instead of slightly changing the color would make it a lot clearer. Also, I barely noticed that stickies with new posts have a little flame underneath the rocket ship...

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm not sure what's up with some of you guys not able to see the difference between the "unread posts" potato and the "read posts" potato. There were five or six of us looking over the site as it was being built, and it was very obvious to us. The bottom of the "unread posts" potato glows bright orange, and there's a visibly significant color difference. Is your brightness turned up high or something? Ah, the trials of web design. We'll come up with something more obvious so that it's visible to everyone.

As for the new posts in stickies: In addition to the flame under the rocket, there is an arrow next to the title of a topic that has an unread post in it. It's placed before the title and pushes it to the right a bit to make it stand out. You'll find this arrow next to all threads that have unread posts in them, not just the stickies. If you click the arrow, it will take you to the unread post in that thread. You'll also find these arrows in the forums list on the home page as well, next to "Last post by: X." Clicking those arrows will take you to the last post in that forum.

In keeping with the aesthetics of the site design, we're trying to keep things a little more subtle and esoteric rather than obvious "in your face" instructions and prompts. That being said, we'll tweak the graphics so they're a little more obvious.

Sync: Abandon your FS muscle memory. This is Space Potatoes. :P The "Return to X" link you mention.. Use the menu buttons at the top left of the page. You will see a house icon (links to the home page), a "Forum" button (also links to the home page, but I think it's better to use the house icon to get there), and then a button with the name of the forum where the post you are currently viewing is located. That is essentially your "Return to X" link. Click the button with the name of the forum and you will return to that forum page. Below is an image of what I just described.

There's no need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Return to X" link. That's just an extra link so you don't have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to use the menu. There's also drop-down boxes on all three of the buttons I mentioned a drop-down menu under the house icon that will take you anywhere you want to go on the site. As you can see, there's several different ways of navigating the forums.

Please take some time to familiarize yourselves with the forums. I think everything will become more apparent to everyone as they use the site.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Speaking of that screenshot there, are you aware of those buttons being a little squished together for non-moderators? I think it'd look better with a bit of spacing between the two rows of stuff.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:41 pm

I was just going to comment on the potatoes. On my gaming PC I can tell the difference fine but on my laptop it's not as striking. Maybe just a grayed out potato for threads with no new content? I also like the "New" label as well.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:47 pm

jacobvandy wrote:Speaking of that screenshot there, are you aware of those buttons being a little squished together for non-moderators? I think it'd look better with a bit of spacing between the two rows of stuff.

I am now. :P Thanks! That's gonna take some of tweaking so there's not a huge gap for the mods, but it's doable. I'll put that at the top of the "to-do" list.

Natedog wrote:I was just going to comment on the potatoes. On my gaming PC I can tell the difference fine but on my laptop it's not as striking. Maybe just a grayed out potato for threads with no new content? I also like the "New" label as well.

Yeah. We'll come up with something that works for everyone. The greyed-out idea doesn't sound too shabby.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:05 pm

I seem to be getting this with double quotations.

Confirmed on Internet Explorer 9 and the latest Chrome

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've fixed the gap issue between the buttons and fixed the double quotes.

We also now have pictures for the admins to signify their status! :D

We are still working on several of the other points you guys brought up. We'll keep you posted.

Please feel free to post any further suggestions or issues you run into!

Thanks,
Zero
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Space Fry

Postby Splice » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 pm

ICDP here. I'm just gonna throw this out there, the site looks great but is pretty sluggish on my iPad (first gen). Since that is all I use for casual web browsing these days, it's fairly relevant to me. I think the large amount of graphics are stressing the device's limited memory.

I did a quick bit of testing, with all apps closed except Safari, starting from a blank page, I show 92MB free. If I open the FS forums, it drops to 60. Repeat the test with this site it goes from 92 to 35, spiking as low as 20. With oneother app open right now I'm dropping to low teens, and the text is appearing in spurts. Full disclosure, I am jailbroken, so there may be a few extra things taking up memory that stock wouldn't have.

I have to say, the main background image and the animated sign look like prime candidates for size reduction. They do look nice, but replace the background with a solid color and make the sign static and I'd never miss them. I don't know enough about CSS or web design, but perhaps you can make a light version that just tones down some of the eye candy. I don't expect or want a completely separate iPad/mobile site, just a few tweaks.

Thanks for listening.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:25 pm

ICDP,

The graphics are all currently PNG files. We are planning on making them JPGs which will reduce the load considerably. We will hopefully have that completed some time this week. Bear with us until that is fixed (it will take a while because we have to verify color integrity, etc).

Thanks,
Zero

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Here's another thing that may not have come up in testing. Check out this post here. For some reason, a nested quote has a really dark background that makes the text impossible to read.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Reload your cache... I already fixed that. ;)

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 am

I can see the difference between the potatoes, but it's fairly subtle. Maybe it could change to a baked potato once the thread has been viewed? Anyhow, I still find that the icons distract me from quickly reading the thread titles. I think a better location would be after the title, maybe set to "align right" up against the Reply count.

Space Fry

Postby Splice » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks for the info on the graphics Zero, I will see how it goes. A few other random things...

I can see the different potato images fine, but I just don't care for the red/new posts one. I like the idea of having something different, like a baked potato, not just a color change. Maybe a potato with a ring like at the bottom of the main page. Make sure they don't indent the text differently though, and I disagree wit Egg on placement, leave them where they are.

The Home/Forums/Name buttons all pop up a menu that is essentially identical. I can see a use for this popup somewhere, but these buttons I'd prefer to just go straight where they say. If I double tap they do that, since I'm on an iPad maybe that's mouse over and click on PC. Still I'd like that menu somewhere else, not on those buttons.

I think it's weird that Politics/Religion is a sub board of Off Topic, especially since there are no other subs.

In general, I dislike sticky topics, something I had a problem with on the old board too. A few are OK, but the announcement ones that show on every page are already bugging me.

Is there a way to "mark all posts as read" like on the old board?

All drop down boxes show white on white for me.

Thanks.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:30 am

I'm in full agreement with ICDP here. The three buttons ALL drop down a menu and there are way too many stickies, especially the announcements.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:38 am

We here ya with the stickies. We pasted the content of the "Codes for Postings" thread into the "Welcome" thread, and then deleted it. Zero's idea is to keep the "Welcome" thread, which contains the rules, as an announcement for a few weeks and then remove it. At that point, the "Announcement" section that shows up at the top of every forum will be removed, and the "Welcome" thread will only be visible in its respective forum.

Menu drop-downs: Some of us liked those, some of us didn't. We'd like to change that so that only the home button will have the drop-down. Zero just said he's gonna look into it,so PM him over and over until it's done. :P

Everyone is gonna have their own way they'd like to see the site look, what the graphics should look like, etc. There's already differences of opinion in this thread. We definitely had our disagreements during construction. :P Currently, we like the way things are laid out.

There are obvious errors that need correcting. We're glad everyone is pitching in by pointing them out. It's a big help. The lack of visibility of certain graphics has been mentioned as well, so we're going to tend to that asap.

Splice wrote:Is there a way to "mark all posts as read" like on the old board?

Mark forums read (on the home page):
Mark topics read:

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:56 am

The icons in their current size and placement just pull my eyes away from the thread titles; most noticeably in more active sections like "Games". It makes it more difficult for me to quickly scan through them. If they can't be moved, maybe a slight downsizing would help. Also, I came up with one more thing:

• Visual indicator for threads which user has posted in

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see any differentiation between threads where I have or haven't posted. As for the politics / religion section, I still think it should link to a random Rickroll type video. I just don't see how anything positive can come from the discussion of these topics. I'm glad to have it cordoned off into a section I don't have to visit though.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Unless I'm missing something I can't tell if there's an icon added to the potatoes icon when I've posted in a thread. Most forums have the arrow or whatever. I'm I just blind or something?

Oh, and Egg I can't believe you dropped the "lick". That shit was awesome. "Egglick"! What the hell does that mean? I don't know, but it sounds like something I'd be into, KNOW WHAT 'EM SAYIN'?!

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:03 pm

OH, MY GOD!

I can't indent my paragraphs. Well, see ya' later guys, it's been fun.

...j/k

Space Fry

Postby Splice » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 pm

OFTA's name is too long. On the forum/thread list, if he's the last poster the arrow after his name gets dropped down to another line and makes the whole row taller. ;)

I know the little arrow next to the potato takes you to the first unread post in the thread, but that is way too small a target for my fat fingers using my iPad. Can it be made so clicking the title does the same, like the old forum, and does anybody object to that?

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Splice wrote:OFTA's name is too long. On the forum/thread list, if he's the last poster the arrow after his name gets dropped down to another line and makes the whole row taller. ;)

Speaking of "too long" look at my join date. The "pm" has its own row for some reason.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:29 am

Yeah, it probably doesn't need to show the exact time you joined. Just the date would be fine.

Space Fry

Postby Splice » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:26 pm

OK, I think this should be an easy one. On most websites, the logo at the top of the page links back to the main page. Since we don't really have a home page yet, it would make sense for it to link to the forum home page. Once the home page is ready it could link there and maybe the motel sign could link to the top forum page.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Well it appears that some of my original suggestions weren't very popular. However, I still think we need:

• Method of inserting the equivalent of target="_blank" into BBCode URL links, so they open another tab/window
  • Some sort of visual indicator for when the user has posted in a thread.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:56 pm

^ We read your earlier posts regarding these suggestions. All the admins have been following this thread, and will continue to read any other suggestions that the community offers. We're also busy guys with a lot on our plates right now. Please be patient.

Some people think that the target="_blank" code is unnecessary since all you need to do to open a link in a new tab is use the middle mouse button, or Ctrl + Left Click, or Right Click > Open Link in New Tab/Window. This also gives the user the option to open a link in another tab/window rather than being forced to do so. The idea should be to let the user decide how they want to open a link, not how the poster wants them to do it. We're looking into some mods that may be able to offer the target="_blank" option in the BBCode. It may or may not happen. As it stands now, it makes more sense to let the user decide how they want to open a link.

We're looking into mods that will display an icon when the user has posted in a thread. Everyone agrees that this is a good idea.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Middle-mouse click, bitches!

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:35 am

Ellsworth wrote:Some people think that the target="_blank" code is unnecessary since all you need to do to open a link in a new tab is use the middle mouse button, or Ctrl + Left Click on it, or Right Click > Open Link in New Tab/Window. This also gives the user the option to open a link in another tab/window rather than being forced to do so. The idea should be to let the user decide how they want to open a link, not how the poster wants them to do it. We're looking into some mods that may be able to offer the target="_blank" option in the BBCode. It may or may not happen. As it stands now, it makes more sense to let the user decide how they want to open a link.

My concern is more for incoming newbies (if and when we start getting them). I'm sure everyone here knows how to open a link in a new tab, but I doubt 96% of the rest of the population has any clue. I've seen coworkers get frustrated on many occasions because a link took them away from the original page and they lost their place. Granted, most anyone coming here is going to be a bit more savvy than that, but still.

....and it's sad that I've begun thinking with the lowest common denominator in mind. It's a sign that I deal with too many idiots.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 am

Egg wrote:
Ellsworth wrote:Some people think that the target="_blank" code is unnecessary since all you need to do to open a link in a new tab is use the middle mouse button, or Ctrl + Left Click on it, or Right Click > Open Link in New Tab/Window. This also gives the user the option to open a link in another tab/window rather than being forced to do so. The idea should be to let the user decide how they want to open a link, not how the poster wants them to do it. We're looking into some mods that may be able to offer the target="_blank" option in the BBCode. It may or may not happen. As it stands now, it makes more sense to let the user decide how they want to open a link.

My concern is more for incoming newbies (if and when we start getting them). I'm sure everyone here knows how to open a link in a new tab, but I doubt 96% of the rest of the population has any clue. I've seen coworkers get frustrated on many occasions because a link took them away from the original page and they lost their place. Granted, most anyone coming here is going to be a bit more savvy than that, but still.

....and it's sad that I've begun thinking with the lowest common denominator in mind. It's a sign that I deal with too many idiots.

Yeah, no. This is Space Potatoes. If you can't middle mouse click for a new tab you don't belong here. I guess this should be our filtration system. :))

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:16 am

Well, at the very least they should know about the "Back" function that's built-in to every web browser in existence since 1990...

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 am

I'm going to second the option to visually see new posts. I can see when a thread has new posts, that's not an issue. It's more when I click on that I like to skip down to the new posts I have to think which ones are new. The slightly different color on FS boards helped identify the new ones, but I don't know how difficult that is to implement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:44 am

gregorov_14 wrote:...I like to skip down to the new posts....

Click on the arrow.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Neat. That will save me a bunch of time. Thanks Ellsworth.

Next

Return to Feedback