Spud Raider
Site Admin

Re: Movies

Postby FiSH » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:38 pm

In the mood for a good action flick, so I'm gonna go check out White House Down tonight. I glanced at reviews and they appear to be evenly split between those who thoroughly enjoyed it and those who let propaganda sizzle their bloodstream. Typical for political fiction or portrayals. I think I'll like it.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Just watched Battleship. Yeah, that movie based on the board game, where aliens come and shoot peg-shaped missiles at naval ships... Eric from True Blood plays a human for once, and there are a few good war-boner moments in the latter half. Of course it was cheesy as hell (complete with burly black man boxing a de-helmed alien enforcer and issuing a slow-mo, teeth-spitting right hook, lawl), but it was decently entertaining.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Watched Pacific Rim over the weekend. It promises giant robots punching giant monsters in the face and that's exactly what it delivers. It's a lot of fun just don't expect any thing high brow. It's very much wallowing in it's summer blockbusteriness. One thing I found strange was that in certain scenes, the 3D was almost overwhelming. I'm not sure if it was because the screen was small and I was in the back......and drunk or if that's just how it was intended. Still, it's a very fun and gorgeous movie. Go see it.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:02 pm

jwhx wrote:Watched Pacific Rim over the weekend. It promises giant robots punching giant monsters in the face and that's exactly what it delivers. It's a lot of fun just don't expect any thing high brow. It's very much wallowing in it's summer blockbusteriness. One thing I found strange was that in certain scenes, the 3D was almost overwhelming. I'm not sure if it was because the screen was small and I was in the back......and drunk or if that's just how it was intended. Still, it's a very fun and gorgeous movie. Go see it.

In complete agreement. Fun movie.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 am

^ I'll have to give PR a watch. Many who've seen it around here give it a thumbs up.

I went with my younger brother to see The Conjuring the other night. I must admit, the film does scary right. The director did a great job of steering away from the cliche'd frights that everybody expects. Some really great jump scenes in there, one that lifted me out of my seat. The first half was super but the second half was more unsettling than scary. What started off as a mysterious haunted house took a turn toward demon possession and its effects on an innocent family. Saying that the film took a turn is actually inaccurate. It really ended the way it began and the story was consistent. I simply prefer the creepie crawlies over the heebie jeebies. For what it was though, it was a very good film.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Just got back from Elysium. It was... okay?

My problem with the movie is I walked in with big expectations: District 9 with a bigger budget. But instead of a movie I got a fantastic tech demo of Neill Blomkamp's special effects prowess. The plot, characters, and cinematography were so terrible I actually cringed at the end of the film. I would be fine with a dumb popcorn flick (Pacific Rim) but Elysium just doesn't let you sit back and turn off your brain. It bashes in a hamfisted political allegory of the 99% versus the 1% and doesn't let it go. It was impossible to just enjoy the action and the great visuals.

I have no problems with preachy movies so long as it is done with some thought. But Elysium was insultingly stupid. There is no background exposition save that Earth turns into a literal slum, with LA's skyscrapers being transformed into vertical shanty towns and everyone speaks Spanish. No effort was put into making the world look like a plausible dystopia 150 years from now. Instead it's just redressing Mexico City and that's that. All the rich people live in a space station and have access to magic healing tubes that will literally cure cancer in 30 seconds by waving a wand. That's not sci-fi. Those are just macguffins to accelerate the incredibly formulaic plot.

The protagonist, played by Matt Damon, is actually Jason Bourne. He has no personality, his character is devoted to survival at all costs, his dialogue amounts to interrogating anything that moves, and despite the fact that he's an impoverished and terminally ill factory worker he somehow possesses incredible martial arts skills and commando training. The love interest is a helpless single mother who needs rescuing every 30 minutes. The villains are all parodies of 1980s action flicks, from the evil corporate masterminds with secret agendas (Jodie Foster) to the mentally unstable psychopath (Sharlto Copley, aka Wikus from D9). Everybody was so one-dimensional, so black-and-white, so predictable that it was almost like Blomkamp went on TV Tropes and lifted all of the material from there.

And oh my god, Copley's accent was fucking absurd. See, my ex is South African so I know quite a bit about South African culture and the various colorful accents that people use there. District 9 was beautifully done in this regard. However, Copley's character uses the most exaggerated redneck Afrikaans accent I've ever heard and it really brings the movie down. I can't take him seriously. It's like if you got Larry the Cable Guy to play a mass murderer with the most exaggerated, stereotypical southern accent you can fake.

The entire movie's plot was just way too neat. Every plot point perfectly connects through a series of convenience. There's no internal logic. There are no consequences or emotional investment. Things that happen on the screen are quickly forgotten. Half the movie is just one big chase sequence with no time to stop and rest. And even though the visuals are fucking spectacular (go see it in IMAX) the camera work takes several pages from the Bourne Supremacy. It will not fucking stay still. I kid you not, one of the action scenes has one cut per second. There is no focus on the subject matter. There's just a blur of bullshit flying around. Actually that's the one thing that stood out for me: motion blur. The post-processing is a bit too over the top.

And then the ending. Fuck that ending. It was too fucking perfect. No consequences whatsoever. The entire audience audibly groaned when the credits hit. I really wanted to like this movie, and on its own merits its still worth seeing at the theater, but it wasn't really enjoyable.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 pm

I went to see The Way Way Back the other night and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I loved it in fact. It was one of those that you never knew was coming to theaters until it hits in limited release. It stars Sam Rockwell who stole the show, Steve Carrell as a proper antagonist, Toni Collete, Allison Janney Maya Rudolph, and Amanda Peet. Story's about a boy whose lost identity among a dysfunctional family gets found during a reluctant summer at the beach. I'd say it's the perfect summer movie for bringing the season to a close. It's being compared to Little Miss Sunshine, obviously due to the same director. It was so much better though. Here's the trailer for those interested.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:03 am

Saw The Butler the other day with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed it. It stars Forrest Whitaker, who is the only movie actor I've ever met, along with an impressive cast, including Robin Williams, Cuba Gooding Jr, Lenny Kravitz, Terrence Howard, John Cusack, Liev Schreiber, and Alan Rickman to name a few. While I don't really care for Oprah Winfrey, she too played a good part as Whitaker's wife. The story is centered around a man who served as a butler in the White House after suffering through slavery and oppression. The story tells of the influence he had on the various presidents he served and is family. It's a real human interest piece that tugs on your heart strings and leaves you with a greater appreciation for those whose lives were affected before and after the segregation movement. It's an award winner for Whitaker for sure, but a film you have to be in the mood for. There are a few laughs, but teary eyes are what the film will spark the most.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 am

Anyone seen Prisoners yet? I hear it's a superb thriller, although tough to watch. Apparently there's a pretty gruesome torture scene. Can't be any worse than the night stick anal kick in Dragon Tattoo. My butt still hurts after watching that a year ago.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 pm

^ I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list. I've heard good things about it.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:55 pm

FiSH wrote:Saw The Butler the other day with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed it...

I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Fish. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Saw Prisoners last night and enjoyed it thoroughly. I consider it to be a thriller that maintains a pretty dark tone throughout. Hugh Jackman did a superb portrayal of a blue collar/middle class father whose dissatisfaction with police efforts to locate his missing daughter causes him to make some difficult choices that mold his desperation into vile determination. Jake Gyllenhaal plays the detective assigned to the case whose life is equally shaken the more he becomes involved. Movies like these are usually all about the victim. This one is unique in how its resolution you feel cannot be limited to finding the girl. I can say little more than that without spoiling anything. But I will say that, if you're the type whose goal it is to pick apart movies and are quick to discredit them over plot holes, you will not like this movie. In fact, you'll not like 70% of all the movies out there. But if you're the kind of movie goer who surrenders to the presentation and allows its characters to steer your emotions, you will walk away very satisfied. No dragging over 2.5 hours is an achievement these days. No complaints here.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 pm

What Happened, Miss Simone?

Excellent documentary. I watched it on Netflix a few nights ago.

No review here. Just watch it.

Previous

Return to Off-Topic