Flyby Spud

Internet choices

Postby gregorov_14 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:09 pm

In my area, I have a choice between two "extremes" shall I say. Right now I have 20 Mbps DSL from CenturyLink, which is fine and works well, except that Cable One offers 100 Mbps on their base package. The drawback is Cable One has a soft-cap of 300GB on that tier, meaning that if you go over that cap 3 times, they'll force you to upgrade to a higher tier. CenturyLink technically has one at 250 GB, but they don't enforce it at all. With my current data usage, as measured by my router (which has Tomato on it), The last couple of months I've used 400-500GB (prior was < 300 GB, the increase due to MLB.TV). Given that the one month was over 500 GB is likely to not get repeated, the tier for Cable One is 200 Mbps at $105/month, while CenturyLink is $69/month. As I'm not likely to change my usage significantly, is the increase in speed worth the additional cost and limitations of usage?

Couple of additional points: I'm currently leasing a modem, which I didn't realize I could have bought one from CenturyLink a while ago, and doing so now would mean the break-even point is 1 year compared to leasing. Also, I do plan on moving back to WI at some point in the next year, and back there I would be using some version of Cable, rendering the modem purchase from CenturyLink null. Also, I do have DirecTV and Verizon all bundled together for one bill, so a minor point would be more bills to pay and a slightly higher cost on DirecTV. And actually, I was debating canceling the DirecTV as I hardly watch it, yet, at the same time, thinking of increasing my package so I can actually watch more sports games on the weekend (football).

TL:DR - 100-200 Mbps for 300-500 GB @ $55-105/month or 20 Mbps for unlimited data @ $50-80/month
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyby Spud

Re: Internet choices

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:43 pm

I went ahead and ordered the Cable One, figuring that I can test it out for a few months. Worst that can happen is I move back to Century Link if it doesn't work to my liking. Should have it installed next week Monday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Tue May 31, 2016 9:26 pm

Do you have any issue with streaming video on 20 Mbps? Those Cable One data caps are insanely low considering the speed it's being paired with. I'm not sure it'd be worth it to have a 100-200 Mbps connection if you have a cap at 300-500GB... It would take less than a day to use that much data without even maxing out your pipe. So realistically it'd be criminally under-utilized 99% of the time, with the occasional convenience of being able to download a game or something really, really quickly. The decision comes down to whether or not you want to pay 50% more for that occasional download to take half an hour instead of a few hours.

ISPs are such rat bastards, lol.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:54 pm

I haven't had too many issues streaming at 20 Mbps. Occasionally, speeds do drop when watching mlb.tv and the quality is visibly lower, but otherwise it's been quite good. I simply thought I'd give them a shot to see how much better (or worse) they are compared to Century Link.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Yeah man, it couldn't hurt. I'm just glad Comcast rescinded their nationwide data caps a few years back (save for their "test markets" in a few states to the east) so that I'm currently able to use the fuck out of my 100 Mbps connection. Just be careful, you might like the added speed so much that you won't want to go back to DSL, regardless of the added cost and limitations that come with it. :P

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Drama. As it turns out, I vaguely remembered that I could either have DirecTV or Cable Internet when I had DirecTV installed in my apartment, so when the Cable guy could not set up my Internet. I'd have to have DirecTV come in and add a line so I could do that, or I simply cancel the Cable One. This is an interesting dilemma I have, as while I have talked about canceling DirecTV, I still do like having it for live sports. In fact, I was thinking of increasing my package on DirecTV so I could access to a few more sports channels for an extra $13/month. Additionally, as I'm not limited on data like I would be for Cable One, I'll likely just sign on for the extra year to save some money with Century Link and call it a day. Of course, now I just happen to have a cable modem that I can't use, but it's at least a rather future proof one that offers 680 Mbps download (16x4 doscis 3.0 - netgear cm500).

My alternate option is of course canceling the DirecTV to save that $80/month, possibly get SlingTV streaming for ESPN at $20/month, but then I'd really go through that data quick. I think with the Century Link discount, I'm still spending less money despite paying for more services than I actually need. Of course, I'm also not strapped for cash either, so I can live with some luxuries.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Well, after several phone calls, managed to do the following:

Reduce CL to $35.99/month + $99 for modem for 1 year (no contract)
Reuce DTV to $35.99/month for 1 year (1 year contract)

Total: $72 / month for TV & Internet for 1 year.

Given that the other option was $75 / month for 3 months, then $105 / month, and only for Internet, I think I made the right choice once again, after of course the blunder of buying a cable modem and ordering service that I could not actually get. Although I probably could have saved a bunch of money by calling DTV retention much earlier... Guess I won't experience the speeds of 200 Mbps at home for now, but I'm quite content with 20.

Return to Off-Topic