Spud Raider

PC Gamer subscription

Postby Ronin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:47 am

I just renewed my lapsed subscription to PC Gamer and got 13 issues for $15 bucks.

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/ ... 2015-12-10

I used to get Maximum PC but I let that lapse last summer. I think that PC Gamer is probably more important for gaming.

What physical magazines do you still get?
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Runner

Re: PC Gamer subscription

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Print magazines these days are horrible, IMO, regardless of subject matter. They're about 70% ads because nobody subscribes anymore (or if they do it's for super cheap like you just have), and often what's left of non-ads include a bunch of "reviews" that read like ads because they're so short that all they do is describe what the products are, not how well they work or whether they're worth buying. $1 per issue is about the maximum anyone should ever pay if they're really interested in flipping through something on the can, but there's so little content you're likely to read through the whole thing (or all of it that's worth reading anyway) in one sitting... I'd rather just play games or browse the 'net on my phone.

As for gaming news mags, they've been irrelevant for years, sadly. All the news is online now, and you can read it as it happens instead of a month or two later. I get the desire for tangible reading material, I used to love going through new issues of Nintendo Power and PC Gamer and Game Informer, but they're all obsolete just like the newspaper. Whoever's left reading them is doing so because they're nostalgic for the old days or don't have easy access to a computer or smartphone. I'll tell you what would be cool though, because I know they're working on that paper-thin, flexible display tech... A re-programmable magazine that syncs up with web services.

Spud Raider

Re: PC Gamer subscription

Postby Ronin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Jacob,

you and I are in about 95% agreement. I buy a lot of advertising for my job and I know for a fact that newspapers and magazines give away their product in order to tell advertisers that they have more readers. But I will tell you that I read my PC Gamer in the ...'Gentlemen's room' and it's nice to have a physical copy to peruse. I definitely read about things I wouldn't normally be exposed to if I just stuck to the internet I would never see.

The added bonus is the occasionally humorous 'Letter to the Editor'
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Return to Off-Topic