Spud Raider

Cell phone advice needed

Postby Ronin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Ok guys, I sure most of you here know more about cell phones than I do ( I have NEVER had a personal cell phone, I've had company phones since the 1990s). This year we are doing smart phones for the rest of the family as our BIG Christmas gift and I am off to a weak start. Right now my wife & sons have prepaid phones. Two are flip phones & the other has a very limited Smart phone with no data plan. We want to get a family plan that includes voice/text & data sharing. My wife wants an Iphone & my two boys want Droids.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or opinions: Verizon has a strong signal in our town & it's what I have for work but it doesn't really matter. Should I buy unlocked phones and then shop around? Should I go with a 2 year contract and get the phone as part of it? I'd also appreciate some hardware tips on what is a decent Android phone for my kids. I just got a Galaxy S6 and I know a high end phone like that is out of the question: I am thinking maybe $200? for a handset. Does that seem reasonable? Anything else I need to think about??

Anyways, this is an important decision so I thought I'd come to my 'Tech Experts' for some advice. Thanks!
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Runner

Re: Cell phone advice needed

Postby jacobvandy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:51 pm

The prices of the only slightly older smartphones always plummet as soon as the brand new ones come out. I got a Galaxy S5 a few months ago and it was $130 as an upgrade, it might be even cheaper than that with a brand new contract. They do this to clear out their leftover stock, but I believe they still had some S4 units, too. Those would likely be under $100 by now if you can find them, and they're still good phones. Amazing if you're stepping up from a flip phone, lol.

The HTC One M8 is the other one I was looking at, but they didn't have it at the AT&T store we went to. Feature-wise they were basically the same, except the One M8 was supposedly a little bit faster with the caveat of slightly reduced battery life. With any newer smartphone, the more important thing is just getting it in your hand and seeing how you like the size, feel, screen, menus, etc.

Same thing for iPhone, just look for one a generation or two behind whatever the latest and greatest is, they're 90% identical but only a fraction of the price.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:58 pm

That is terrific input. I had no idea the S5's had dropped so much. I thought we wouldn't be able to get any kind of Galaxy at at all really. I don't know the differences in the Iphones but I am guessing a 5 would just fine for my wife. She uses like a gen 4? Ipod as her go to device so I am sure they would be similar.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:31 pm

The 2-year contract price is in general the same price over the course of 2 years if you just buy the phone outright ($40/month line access on 2-year contract vs. $20/month line access - Verizon pricing here, even though they don't do 2-year contracts anymore for new customers). To save the most, do as jacob suggested - buy the slightly older high-end phones that you can get for ~$200 new and voila, high upfront cost, but reasonable pricing for the plan. Then only upgrade when you need to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Where I work has a Verizon discount plan that's like 18% so looks like that's where we're headed. I priced Galaxy S4s at like $110 on Amazon & the Iphone 4 is similar so I think I will probably have that as my 'go to' position if we can't get a good deal on a phone in store.

Any experience keeping phone numbers? I don't know if it can be done with their Tracfones or not but it sure would make things easier to keep the same number.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:55 pm

I've had good success on transferring numbers, but I've also only ever been on post-paid plans (US Cellular, Sprint, Verizon). Haven't tried pre-paid number transfer, but it should work (you can test out by pretending to buy a phone at Verizon's website, but not actually completing it).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tater Tot

Cell phone advice needed

Postby Walterzom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:29 pm

How do I post pics from my cell ph. I know how to post to fb but wantrd to post to the forum also while on the trip Thanks Larry

Return to Off-Topic