Spud Runner

Has GOG jumped the shark?

Postby jacobvandy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:21 pm

This weekend GOG.com launched an "Indie Piñata" sale, wherein you can pay $3 to get a random game.

What the fuck is our world coming to? Is it not bad enough that deep discounts lead to so many impulse buys that half of our game libraries sit unplayed? Must we now purchase games without even knowing what they are?

They say the games you could get for $3 are worth at least $10, with a small chance you could get something worth up to $45 (of which there are VERY few on GOG). But are these brand new releases, or at least ones that have never been discounted this much before? Or are they games which otherwise would have been 70-90% off anyway, like so many other titles are with the more traditional sale event going on at the same time?

Monetary value notwithstanding, they do say they will prioritize giving you a game from the current batch of possible titles that you don't already own, if possible. If possible. They let you keep buying as many piñatas as you want, but if you own all the ones currently in rotation (or the one or two you don't have are "out of stock"), you will be getting duplicates that are converted to gifts. But that doesn't take into consideration the possibility that you already own it on Steam or another service, in which case you've just pissed your money away...

I'm really hoping this doesn't catch on. The benefits for game makers and game distributors are clear -- you prey on hope, exploit addiction, manipulate prices, control rewards behind the scenes, etc. -- but GAMBLING for your digital game deals is a terrible idea for gamers.

Spud Runner

Re: Has GOG jumped the shark?

Postby jacobvandy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:24 pm

According to the GOG forums, here's a list of known games to come out of this first round of piñatas:

1954 Alkatraz
Aarklash: Legacy
Blackwell Bundle
Dreamfall Chapters - Season Pass
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Eador Masters of the Broken World
FTL
Gods Will Be Watching Special Edition
Guacamelee
Halfway
Jazzpunk.
Legend of Grimrock
Lumino City
Machinarium Collector's Edition
Outlast
Randal's Monday
Republique (Standard Edition)
Shadow Warrior 2013
Shadowrun Returns
Shelter
Spelunky
Terraria
The Book Of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
The Last Federation
Volgarr the Viking

As I suspected, several titles have actually been CHEAPER than $3 in the past, and I can't see anything that could legitimately be considered a $45 value... GG.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:01 pm

My guess is that they are doing this to attract attention. They just got their own thread on the SP forums so they must be doing something right. It reminds me of discount stores back in the day (I grew up in the 80s remember) like McCrory's or Hills or Kmart that would do brown paper bags full of crap for like $5. True you could get something that RETAILED for $50 but who the hell needs a combination cork screw / meat thermometer anyways???

Seriously though, I think that they are preying on the dimwitted and trying to make buying a game into a game. I am guessing this goes away quickly as (hopefully) there aren't enough idiots to keep it going for long.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:09 pm

They've done plenty right already, by selling classic games that weren't available anywhere and incorporating all the extra work to make them run on modern PCs. They have demonstrated a very pro-consumer attitude for the most part by insisting that all games they carry don't have DRM attached and fighting to ensure their regional pricing is as fair as possible, as well as being among the first to offer a money-back guarantee. Since I prefer Steam, I'm not big on purchasing the newer games they've been adding in the past few years, but I certainly appreciate the competitive force they represent and respect the choice they offer to people who dislike Steam or DRM in general.

They've been trying to come up with new and different ways to run sales promotions for as long as they've been around, however I think this piñata gambling bullshit goes beyond things like offering bulk discounts, logging in every day of a sale to earn free games, or even insisting you stay glued to their front page 24 hours a day for three days so you don't miss out on 10-minute flash deals... In fact, this is them doing very much the wrong thing, running counter to everything they've done to earn the respect of gamers thus far. I am disappointed in GOG because they're no longer putting their own spin on the Steam model, they've sunk to the Vegas cartel mentality of fleecing people who think they can beat the odds. Well, the game is rigged, folks!

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Wow, lol, now Humble Bundle is trying to hype a subscription plan that sends you a handful of random games for $12 per month...

Return to Off-Topic