Flyby Spud

New Computer Case

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:15 pm

After many months, and after my brother upgraded his computer, I decided to finally buy a new case for my computer. Decided on a Fractal Design Define R5. I also added a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX200) as I was running out of space on my 256 GB one, and it so happens I work at a memory company, so I got a minor discount. About the only thing that isn't super snazzy is my video card, but it works for all the games I have now, so no real need to upgrade yet. (plus I did upgrade about a year ago, and it hasn't gotten its miles out of it yet). I also got a new CPU fan just for kicks to try and keep my PC as quiet as possible. Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyby Spud

Re: New Computer Case

Postby SuperCharge » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:28 pm

That's cool. What were you running your computer in before the case - a box?

Video card upgrades are overrated I find, unless you game at over 1920x1080. Or unless you have to have all the latest. I can play 80% of games on HD 5500 integrated graphics.

The funny thing is, do you remember that computer I talked about having with the E4300 overclocked to 3GHz back on Firingsquad, and the 8800GTS 640MB overclocked? I put in almost $2000 for that with the monitor. And now I have a $380 laptop with integrated graphics that typically beats the performance of that.

Sometimes it pays to wait a few years.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Nice job with the cables. Looks nice and clean. :)
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Postby quietenigma » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Meanwhile the insides of my computer still looks like someone slapped it all together and called it a day... oh wait, that's exactly what happened.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:20 pm

quietenigma wrote:Meanwhile the insides of my computer still looks like someone slapped it all together and called it a day... oh wait, that's exactly what happened.

That's how my days feel sometimes. They feel like someone slapped it all together and called it a computer.

Have you been messing with my days?

Flyby Spud

Postby quietenigma » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 am

Wh-what?

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 am

quietenigma wrote:Wh-what?

You shouldn't ask questions. For every question you ask, an angel loses its wings.

Flyby Spud

Postby quietenigma » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:43 am

Dude, you don't make any sense some times.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:46 am

quietenigma wrote:Dude, you don't make any sense some times.

I'm drunk.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:12 am

The first quote of you was an attempt at stand-up comedy quietenigma. But the things about angels and inability to explain myself... drunk.

God I'm drunk. I don't even know what I'm saying. I almost posted some fantasy story about Greg having four computers that revolve around the four elements - fire, earth, wind, water.

Sorry Greg. Should have posted this in Hardware if you didn't want people coming in drunk :crazy:.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Greg,

Your computer looks good ( I wish I had gone with a more 'normal' looking case for mine) I hope you celebrated with a really good cup of Aeropressed coffee.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks Zero. There is that one SATA cable on the Blu-Ray drive that could be better tucked away, but that's just me being a little picky. My previous case was an old CoolerMaster Soprano. It was mostly fine back in the day, but it was time for the upgrade. It's much quieter now, and internally has more space to work with.

Four computers of 4 elements eh?

Fire: Desktop PC
Earth: Laptop probably, it's a bit old
Wind: Surface Pro 3
Water: Not sure, Nook HD+ probably, although it's a tablet

Must've been some crazy Monday...

I did not celebrate with aeropress coffee, unfortunately. It's probably due to the fact that I was up until 2am re-building it, and needed sleep instead of coffee.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to Off-Topic