Flyby Spud

Who's next?

Postby SuperCharge » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:02 pm

A long time ago, Fish said that he found out the fairly longtime Firingsquad member Kessandra was a fake. There was also problems with Bowhunters and he left or something.

My question is... who's next?

You may think you're all fine and dandy living a life of crime... then you find FISH on a dark alley and then WHAMO!

I wish I was a fake. But generally I never tell enough information about myself to be fake. Can't fake having a life when people see you as shady to begin with.

Spud Raider

Re: Who's next?

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:03 am

hah, I should probably actually come clean about that. I forgot all about it long ago that it never occurred to me that shit was still in the air but I was, in fact, the magnificent Kessandra. Started out as a random character name from World of Warcraft because I never figured I'd stick around in FS beyond the contests and occasional snark comment on the front page and just needed a random name. Then I realized I got treated differently/specially because I was assumed to be a "female gamer." Figured I liked living that double life if not for trolling purposes then as a social experiment and once I realized that I actually really liked the community and wanted to meet for realz I had to find a way to kill off the facade and start again as my actual self. Problem was at the time I won a contest for $1000 worth of computer parts (some Lord of the Rings Online video) and got an actual blogging job thingy at DailyTech courtesy of darkportal so it was pretty hard to walk away from Kessandra and the ruse went far too long.

I actually joined FiringSquad a year before Kessandra as "El_Spork" but I never really did much with the community aside from getting into some random flamewar and rage-quitting and only coming back for contest purposes under Kessandra. So come to think about it I've been in the same community for nearly a decade and spent half of that catfishing everyone.

But here I am and that's pretty much the story. Sorry for the deception. It's massively cringey to think about but bear in mind that I was like 13-14 at the time and incredibly stupid.

I'm really curious about what Fish found out lol

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:40 am

Also, FYI, parts of the Kessandra background story were based off of my actual life. My dad works in the US Foreign Service and I traveled the world my entire youth and never stayed in one place longer than a few years. My mom is Spanish and I think I used a few of her younger photos in the selfie threads. A small tidbit about me that I never shared because the link between the two usernames would have become too obvious at the time.

I did do the whole fake identity thing to another forum but I impersonated a badass biker named Shane Walker. That was also for straight trolling purposes but it was also a way to not disclose the fact that I was extremely underaged. Then I got attached to that community, too, so jokes on me.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:42 am

We knew it was you, Sync. We figured it out years ago. Fish had evidence that Kessandra was not who she said she was, but I can't remember exactly what that was at the moment. Kess and Sync's writing style were the same too. You could easily see it was the same person. When Frag Nights started, Kess faded away as Sync became more active because you wanted to join us, I assume. There were lots of little things that didn't add up.

Synchronicity wrote:Also, FYI, parts of the Kessandra background story were based off of my actual life. My dad works in the US Foreign Service and I traveled the world my entire youth and never stayed in one place longer than a few years. My mom is Spanish and I think I used a few of her younger photos in the selfie threads. A small tidbit about me that I never shared because the link between the two usernames would have become too obvious at the time.

We saw the connection. You most certainly did share those "tidbits" about yourself. You told us all where your dad worked and that you mom was Spanish. You even had an avatar of you holding up a Spanish flag. Have you hit your head or something recently? :P Yeah. The link was too obvious. :D

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:49 am

I never caught on to Sync. But my mom did before anyone else did. And I didn't believe it.

Speaking of which, I really wanted to share a pic with you guys of me back on Firingsquad, but my mom was forbidding me to post there. So I had to end up posting under the radar. She knew I was on there or had her suspicions, but she wasn't sure whether I was SuperCharge or Stalker_Loner or even sqitso. Lol.

I'm not scared anymore though. The fact is, you can't forbid a 26 year old from doing things, and she probably knows that.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:10 pm

Not to mention the logged in IPs from Sync/Kessandra were both the same. :P (Moderator gives you many tools of investigation)
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 pm

ZeroGuardian wrote:Not to mention the logged in IPs from Sync/Kessandra were both the same. :P (Moderator gives you many tools of investigation)

Can I be blunt though? Mods will find out if you make dupe accounts, but not always. I don't think anyone caught on to me being Pston until I told them. And I was acting like a butt at the time because I had schizophrenia. But still, I learned that you do not want on Zero's bad side.

Anyway, would it be against the rules for me to create a Kessandra 2.0 and respond to posts pretending to be a woman who likes WoW and LOTR? Just so long as people know, I mean.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Well holy shit, I had no idea whatsoever! Whoosh!

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:58 pm

jacobvandy wrote:Well holy shit, I had no idea whatsoever! Whoosh!

I was taken by surprise until FISH spoke up once or twice. Like I was saying, my mom once read some of Kessandra's posts and said, the person making those posts is a male, not a female. I dismissed it and didn't make anything of it. For the record, this is the first time she has been right in a long time. :)

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Hahahahahaha, wow so you guys knew all along? Why didn't you do the whole Scooby Doo reveal? :D Oh man, the tables have turned. :crazy:

Well to begin with, I thought I covered all my bases. I knew mods and admins could track IPs among other things so I used a proxy for like the first several months. I also assumed I had deliberately changed my writing style and I only recall telling those obvious links to people years after the whole ruse, thinking the amount of time since Kessandra faded would have been far from a lot of people's memories. I also think I gave it some time in between Synch appearing and Kess disappearing, or at least enough that no one questioned it at the time. Basically I never assumed anyone would actually seriously care to investigate and I thought I got away with it because I don't recall anyone ever bringing it up. I do remember basically letting go pretty much the day after FiringSquad physically died.

Damn it was that obvious? Like I said, the whole ordeal happened when I was underage so I was incredibly stupid. Now I'm 22 and that's just some random chapter in a long book of growing up with the internet.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:11 pm

Synchronicity wrote:Hahahahahaha, wow so you guys knew all along? Why didn't you do the whole Scooby Doo reveal? :D Oh man, the tables have turned. :crazy:

Well to begin with, I thought I covered all my bases. I knew mods and admins could track IPs among other things so I used a proxy for like the first several months. I also assumed I had deliberately changed my writing style and I only recall telling those obvious links to people years after the whole ruse, thinking the amount of time since Kessandra faded would have been far from a lot of people's memories. I also think I gave it some time in between Synch appearing and Kess disappearing, or at least enough that no one questioned it at the time. Basically I never assumed anyone would actually seriously care to investigate and I thought I got away with it because I don't recall anyone ever bringing it up. I do remember basically letting go pretty much the day after FiringSquad physically died.

Damn it was that obvious? Like I said, the whole ordeal happened when I was underage so I was incredibly stupid. Now I'm 22 and that's just some random chapter in a long book of growing up with the internet.

To be fair, I wouldn't have found out for sure had FISH not gotten on the Space Potatoes forum and told everyone he was contacted by a girl that said you stole a pic from her??? Lol.

I think most people are fine with what happened though. I am. Greg and Samuel71 said they were I think. And no one's flaming about it.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:11 pm

Hahaha, nevermind, everyone got hella curious three years ago and I even posted in that thread. :D

Still, who the hell contacted Fish about some images? I used one like looooooong ago from some obscure corner of the internet back before there was such a thing as reverse image search and then ever since it was basically my mom. Who was in on the ruse because she was curious as to how I was scoring free swag and getting job offers when I was only 15.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:19 pm

If my old rival Stalker_Loner was still around, I would rub it in his face. It seems like Kessandra was the only member he liked.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Yo he was awesome. Darkportal and I were pretty tight too. We'd play Titan Quest and talk for ages. I felt really bad but I realized I was in a bit of a trap and had to do something drastic and basically cut off all ties and start again as Synch. I remember one of the most contentious things I ever said was that I didn't like BioShock (for gameplay reasons) and got into a weeks-long PM discussion with Trogdor who was super amazed that I didn't like the game and wanted to know why. I consciously remembered not to ever bring up BioShock since it would have been too obvious I was Kessandra. :D

So besides the mods, which would have been obvious, and the people I met and hung out with during Frag Nights and Weekends, who else knew?

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:31 pm

I don't consider myself friends with Stalker_Loner anymore. I still asked him back to the Space Potatoes forum because I felt the forum needed more activity. But all he would do is block me, then come back three months later and ask to be my friend. After the first cycle of that, I was done. By the second cycle, I decided I would never be friends with him again. No matter how friendly he was to me. He's a pretty good member, he's just no longer my friend.

I never really made many friends on Firingsquad, but I did enjoy my talks with powwow71 (on the forum) and Trogdor (in private).

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:36 pm

FiSH wrote:
Samuel71 wrote:There was suspicion that Kessandra wasn't who she said she was? That seems pretty absurd. What evidence is there for that hypothesis?

The evidence was presented to me, and it points to individual behind the Kessandra persona as being a male. This male got the shakes when he was confronted in the forums and he made a quick exit via a sob story - never to return again. The individual was approached and confronted in real life, but I was not told about the outcome.

Fish's story is pretty weird though. I was never confronted in the forums or outside of it, nor did anyone ever approach me in real life. Damn where's Fish? I need to know lol.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:22 pm

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:18 am

Synchronicity wrote:Hahahahahaha, wow so you guys knew all along? Why didn't you do the whole Scooby Doo reveal?

We never had a real discussion about whether or not we should call you out on your ruse. Letting you think you pulled it off while we hung out with you was probably more entertaining than calling you out on it. :P

We still love you, Kessandra Sync. ;)

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Wow, I was pretty close in one of those threads (I mean, you were in Canada at one point, so obviously you met yourself). Also, I never quite suspected anything, but I probably should have. Although, I never have been good at picking up things in general, so m'eh. I guess that means I've met the infamous "Kessandra." What ever happened with the DailyTech gig anyway?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:22 pm

What it comes down is Synchronicity is a smart guy. Too smart, in fact. Back when he was Kessandra, he even referred to sqitso as "a handsome man" to throw people off :crazy:.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:18 pm

gregorov_14 wrote:Wow, I was pretty close in one of those threads (I mean, you were in Canada at one point, so obviously you met yourself). Also, I never quite suspected anything, but I probably should have. Although, I never have been good at picking up things in general, so m'eh. I guess that means I've met the infamous "Kessandra." What ever happened with the DailyTech gig anyway?

lol it was impossible to actually work in a legit journalistic capacity as a complete fraud so after like two articles I just disappeared.

Return to Off-Topic