Spud Runner
Site Admin

Cooking

Postby Ellsworth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 am

Post your culinary masterpieces and/or questions here. Mangia, miei amici!

Flyby Spud

Re: Cooking

Postby Natedog » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:08 am

Since I love to cook and it is football season here is a quick and easy nacho dip recipe for your slow cooker:
8 oz spiced Gouda
12 oz. pepper jack
1 can of Hormel chili (no beans works best but it is up to you)

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 hours

1. Turn slow cooker on low heat (spray non-stick on now if you prefer it)
2. Open up can of chili and put in slow cooker
3. Cube up cheese and mix in with chili
4. Stir every 15-30 minutes to ensure even cooking/heating/melting
5. Enjoy with favorite chips

I can honestly never make enough of this. I made it with these size ingredients the first time and it was gone in 45 minutes with people asking for more. I doubled it the next time and it was gone in an hour. Finally at triple the ingredient mixture (and a completely full 4Qt. slow cooker) I had just a tiny tiny bit left over after the football game. Would probably also taste great on a hot dog or bratwurst too.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Nate's Spicy Breakfast Burrito's

Ingredients:
1/2lb ground sausage
4 eggs
1/2c. green pepper diced
1/2c. onion diced
2Tbsp. ground cayenne pepper
4 slices of pepper jack cheese
1/2c chipotle sauce
4 burrito tortillas

Brown your sausage, peppers, and onions in the skillet then drain the grease. Mix in your eggs and cayenne pepper and cook further. While eggs are cooking take your 4 tortillas and put the chipotle sauce on the center of them, after that take your pepper jack slices and cut in half, laying two halves length wise on the tortilla. When eggs are done being cooked put 1/4 of mixture on each tortilla, fold in sides, and roll up. Enjoy!

I sometimes change it up and use chicken instead of sausage.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Fish's Classic Kraut & Sausage

2 packages of polish sausage links
2 packages (not canned) of sauerkraut
1 yellow onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp butter
1 cup of apple cider

1. rinse the kraut with cold water using a strainer, let drain
2. cut sausage into 1 inch sections and brown in a skillet on low to medium heat
3. remove the sausage and add butter and minced garlic to grease from the sausage
4. saute thinly sliced onion in butter/grease/garlic mixture until soft
5. add cider and stir in sauerkraut, bring to boil
6. pour kraut into deep casserole dish, adding sausage beneath layers of kraut
7. cover and bake in oven at 250 degrees for 30-45 minutes
8. enjoy cold beer while waiting
9. enjoy cold beer while eating

With this recipe, the sauerkraut actually becomes the real treat. Prep time before baking is 30-40 minutes. While baking is optional, doing so allows the sausage to soak in the flavor of the cider. Enjoy!

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:12 am

That is something I just may have to try, Fish. Sounds Fantastic. It seems those that like sauerkraut are few and far between.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:20 am

jwhx wrote:That is something I just may have to try, Fish. Sounds Fantastic. It seems those that like sauerkraut are few and far between.

My wife has despised kraut all of her life and she loves this recipe. She actually asks me to make it from time to time. The cider is what makes the dish so good.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:42 am

jwhx wrote:That is something I just may have to try, Fish. Sounds Fantastic. It seems those that like sauerkraut are few and far between.

Mmm... sauerkraut.

Flyby Spud
Site Admin

Postby Smitty » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 pm

New recipe I've been playing with.

Ingredients

Instructions
1. Blend ingredients well
2. Serve

...bysmitty

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Since I'm a on a very limited high protein diet I have found one item that really hit's the spot. Curry Eggs.

The way I prepare it for a small serving ( probably 1/3 of what a normal person would want):

1 egg with a bit of milk
2 cherry tomatoes
2 slices green pepper
2 table spoons curry paste ( from a jar in the international section of the grocery store)
sour cream
Frank's hot sauce (optional)
1 ounce cheese ( any type, I've been using colby since I have it)
1 ounce of meat, pepperoni, chicken or whatever. I even used a hot dog once

Slice the tomatoes, meat and pepper thinly and put them in a small frying pan on medium heat. After 2 minutes or so add the curry paste. cook until bubbling. Then pour this mix into a small container. Whip the egg and milk very well and pour that mix into the same frying pan., cover, until mostly cooked. Add crumbled cheese. Finish cooking eggs, slide on to plate. I typically reheat curry mixture in microwave for 20 seconds and pour over eggs. Add a table spoon sour cream and Franks Hot sauce to taste.

I just stepped up to a strong curry mix ( haven't tried it yet) but I'm sure it will be good. I usually eat this for lunch as the first food of the day. I take a bunch of meds in the AM and the water keeps me full plus I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning. It's delicious and very filling but your breath will be nasty so be warned!
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Linguine & Clam Sauce

Postby Ellsworth » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:28 am

I've been tinkering with a few linguine and clam sauce recipes lately, and so far this is the one my girlfriend likes the most. Depending on the caliber of clams and linguine you buy, this recipe will cost you anywhere from $6-$20. I spent $6 on this recipe and it was delicious.

Ingredients
1 lb linguine
3 (6.5 oz) cans chopped clams
1/3 cup clam juice from cans
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 small onion (minced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
parsley
salt
black pepper
Parmesan cheese

Preparation
  1. Mince garlic and onion.
  2. Start water boiling for linguine.
  3. Saute onion and garlic in butter and olive oil in a pot (large enough to hold 1 lb of linguine) until golden (about 4 minutes).
  4. Add crushed red pepper, oregano, and basil. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  5. Stir in clam juice and boil until slightly thickened (about 3 minutes). Stir occasionally. Let simmer while pasta is cooking.
  6. Cook linguine until al dente.
  7. While linguine is cooking, stir strained clams into sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  8. Stir pasta into the sauce. Add parsley, salt, and black pepper to taste.
  9. Serve with Parmesan cheese to taste.

NOTES:
  • You can reduce the amount of basil and oregano and still get a nice sauce. I may try that the next time I cook this. As it stands, this sauce has a distinct full-bodied flavor.
  • 1/3 cup of dry white wine adds a nice punch and is common for clam sauce recipes. I didn't have any when I cooked this, but it still turned out tasty.
  • Add more crushed red pepper if you want a spicier sauce.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Okay, I have a crazy tip. When you make instant pudding, add a bit of sour cream to it, it improves the consistency and taste. It no longer tastes like a box mix.

If you end up with high cholesterol though, don't shoot me.

Return to Off-Topic