Flyby Spud

Wanted: Wii

Postby gregorov_14 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:38 pm

This may not pan out, but for whatever reason I feel like getting one so I can play the one game I own on the system (Trauma Center: Second Opinion), and watch/play my old gamecube games in 480p. I do have a gamecube, but way back when I bought it, I bought it new when they removed the component cable support instead of saving money and getting used with component cable support, so I'm limited to 480i and composite (TV doesn't have s-video). Granted, I very rarely use my gamecube as it is, so it may just be a waste of money, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has one.

Plan B for the GC games of course is use dolphin emulator on my PC, which will probably satisfy my curiosity, but will have to wait until I get home tonight before I can try that out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Runner

Re: Wanted: Wii

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Dolphin now has native support for GCN controllers because of the USB adapter they released for the Wii U, so that's the new hotness as far as emulation is concerned. I'm interested in buying me one of those, but supply is low right now because it was accompanying the new Smash Bros. and it sold out everywhere... I'd rather wait a while until they ship more than resort to paying 2-3x the price on eBay or wherever.

Flyby Spud

Re: Wanted: Wii

Postby gregorov_14 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:19 pm

That's an interesting idea for the emulator, but as I found out yesterday, I kind of need a Wii to make the ROMs to make it work, which kinda defeats my purpose for using the emulator (cheaper than buying the Wii). I thought I could simply put the disc in the drive and it would just read the disc. I did try out a ROM though, and it's interesting that dolphin will actually render in HD resolutions, as opposed to upscaling, and apply AA/AF too. I also found out (again), that my old TV isn't actually that bad on composite, as opposed to my newer TV, which is blurry as ever (1080p vs. 720p, and 55" vs. 27").

Perhaps the new plan would be to get the Wii and do both TV & emulator and then compare which is better (and be able to play my one Wii game too, and maybe get a few others too just because). Kinda feel sad that my GC would then become obsolete by definition.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to For Sale / Wanted