Spud Raider

looking for PC parts

Postby Ronin » Sat May 04, 2013 11:27 am

So now that my new PC is finally finished and running like a champ I kicked my old PC down to my 14 year old son so now he has an i5-875k with a 5850 graphics card so all in all it's still a pretty sweet machine. The problem is I have two sons and my 12 year old has an AMD Athlon II 2X 260 on a socket AM3 Biostar Mobo with 2GB DDR2 PC2 6400 RAM an an AGP Geforce GTS 250 with 512MB of RAM.

We are really noticing the differences between the two kids' PCs. I'm thinking about getting a mobo/cpu RAM combo from like newegg or something for $150-$200 and then buying a graphics card and then using everyting else we already have , case, optical, HD & whatever.

My 12 y/o son mostly plays Garry's Mod & Mine Craft and his main complaint lately has been boot times. I scoured his start up last night so it's a bit faster but obviously it doesn't help when he sees my new SSD based PC boot in 45 seconds!

But before I go shopping I thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone has an old PC (or parts) that might fit the bill as an upgrade that they might be willing to sell. I'd also be interested in some suggestions of what we should get as an upgrade. Thanks.
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Re: looking for PC parts

Postby Egg » Sat May 04, 2013 6:47 pm

I don't have much as far as CPUs go, but I do have a GTX460 1GB SC which is roughly equivalent your other son's 5850. I've also got 8GB of low latency DDR2-800.........which admittedly, wouldn't be useful unless you decided to upgrade the CPU but keep the same board. Is it AM3 or AM3+ ?

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Sat May 04, 2013 10:43 pm

I bet you could pick up a Phenom chip and with Egg's parts be set for awhile.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sun May 05, 2013 1:27 pm

The Motherboard, a Biostar A785GE has:

AM2+ CPU
AM3

Printed on it. I don't know what that means for an upgrade path but if I could just do the CPU & then buy Egg's RAM and GPU I am sure that would be plenty for a few years. Any thoughts on what my CPU choices are and whether or not they'd be worth pursuing?
After seeing and hearing about the amazing rigs that many people have on these forums; it seems rather silly for me to the specs of my very modest gaming PC. It works and that's good enough for me.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 pm

You'd be limited to 4GB due to only two (2) ram slots, but yeah. Looks like it does socket AM3, but not AM3+. If you can find a CPU that's a decent boost for cheap (say under $65), it could be worth it.

Otherwise, take a look at the CPU+Motherboard combos at Microcenter. They've usually got some great deals, and I've got one a couple miles away. If you were to buy something from me, you could order parts at Microcenter and I can pick them up for the in-store discount. Then I'd just ship it to you along with the videocard or whatever.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Mon May 06, 2013 3:05 pm

I know this is a bit pricier than your $65 cap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103727

at $95 BUT the hassle saved (and money) might make it worth it, but I don't really have any idea how much faster it is than what he has right now.

As for the RAM, the slots are limited to two 2GB sticks? Not sure how much of a difference 4Gbs would make but he's running Windows 7 Premium 64bit. I know more is always better. (except for taxes!)

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 pm

I've got two OCZ2RPR800C44GK kits, which is 4 sticks at 2GB each. Anything over a 2GB module is going to be ridiculously priced for DDR2. With only two slots, you're more or less limited to 4GB unless you wanted to spend way too much on an older system.

I've really lost touch with what's decent for AMD processors. If you look here, Microcenter has some really good bundles. The A6-5400K and Gigabyte motherboard looks particularly good for $95. You might want to consult with others to see how those deals stack up against a Phenom II.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 am

That a6-5400K/gigabyte is a solid deal for less than $100. The 5400K is a low wattage chip which should make a decent overclocker out of it for little money. Tack on some DDR3 ram and Egg's GPU and you are set.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Tue May 07, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm seeing the AG/ 5400k Gigabyte bundle as $130 before tax & shipping.

Kinston Hyper blue RAM (@ x 4GB each) is $65
http://www.microcenter.com/product/3605 ... (PC3-10600)_CL9_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_(Two_4GB_Memory_Modules)

plus the video card and I'm good to go????

will I need an aftermarket cooler like the 212?

roughly how close do you think this will put me to my other PC, the 875K with the 5850?

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am

Microcenter is great for CPUs and Mobo combos, but their RAM selection is a little "meh". After another look, I also noticed that the 5400K is only a dual-core. Maybe check out the FX4130 or A10 5800K? Not sure how the two compare, but I'd want at least a quad-core for gaming nowadays.

Spud Raider

Postby Ronin » Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 am

We have Microcenter in Cleveland that's 90 miles from my house. We might have to take a day trip and see what's available. I gotta part out this old PC first to get some cash though & I've been lazy about it.

Return to For Sale / Wanted