Spud Runner

Re: Quick thoughts on the games you're playing

Postby jacobvandy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 pm

I looked up the solution to at least one puzzle in Braid, where time goes forward when you move to the right, and backward when you move left. That was a doozy! But yeah, the storyline was very obscure/interpretive and hard to follow. I mean, the basic premise was saving the damsel in distress, but there was a lot more to it than that, not the least of which was a really bizarre secret ending if you finish everything 100% including hidden stuff within the levels. I never got that far with it, but it was still pretty good otherwise. Definitely among the upper tiers of indie games.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 am

Harvester wrote:I f***ing hate difficult boss fights. Tomb Raider: Legend's final boss, whose idea of fun is that? Coupled by the checkpoint save system which makes you start from the beginning every time, made me watch the end on YouTube. Seriously, f*** that shit.

At least Psychonauts' bosses weren't frustratingly hard, those were okay and way more fun to fight than TR Legend's boss.

I don't like not finishing games, but this is just not my idea of fun, so next game it is.

I'm with you on the boss battles thing. They work with games that warrant the big showdown at the end, but there are too many whose final battles are contrived and feel out of place. But that's the formula - sucky as it may be in a lot of cases. Apparently we cannot end a game without feeling some sort of relief that comes with getting over a huge difficulty spike.

Tater Tot

Postby Pliskin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 am

I decided to pick up dawnguard this weekend to get a bit of an rpg fix and now wish that I hadn't shelled out the $20. I seems pretty interesting and all, but I guess I forgot how non-existent the character progression is since doing nearly all the quests in the original skyrim(L53). I think bethesda needs to do a bit better with the leveling systems in their games, its always seems too easy to max out your character, and in the case of skyrim there seemed to be no challenges left. I ran through dawnguard(that I played) with not one potion used, just hacking the shit out of every baddie with really no fear of death. In addition, there seems to be no loot worth using. The character progression and loot system are pretty important to me, and once I realized there would be neither for my character, I lost interest and stopped playing.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:02 am

Just finished Lost Planet 2. I didn't like the original but I felt there was enough potential that a sequel was worth buying. Aaaand that was a dumb decision because this game is even worse. At least it's not as monotonous and it's so f*cking short I don't have to devote too much time to finishing it. A lot of cool set pieces and some great graphics but overall not worth considering.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Also finished Sleeping Dogs. I loved it. It's a bit light on the content and there's not much to explore, considering most of Hong Kong is copy-pasted, but the story was pretty cool. I feel there were some missed opportunities, like tough loyalty decisions between being a member of the triad and a police officer. It was much too linear and all of the romance options were one-off missions with no interesting twists. That said, the combat was fun even if a lot of the moves were repetitive. The Batman-style freeflow combat really makes this game something different. Driving also handles a lot better than most games in this genre. Overall, get it on sale. You won't be disappointed.

I enjoyed Prototype 2. The gameplay was tight and full of awesome destruction. Prettier graphics but the story was non-existent. A lot of wasted potential with the character development of the protagonist. He has an interesting background and a cool narrative that is just never explored. Instead he goes from suicidal sole survivor after the death of his family to a cursing Rambo. Not much to do and of what there is to do it's just repetitive, but thankfully the game ends before it out welcomes its stay like the original Prototype.

And lastly I finished Max Payne 3. The gameplay is atrocious. It's a hyper-linear run-and-gun with bullet time that is just overblown. I enjoyed MP1 and MP2 but MP3 was just monotonous. I loved the setting, the graphics, and the narrative despite its confusing and overblown nature. But there weren't a whole lot of characters, Max Payne loses some of the inner self-reflection of the first two games and becomes John McClane, and it's really difficult to take the story seriously considering just how many scores of people I gun down. Also, the cutscenes are some of the longest I've ever watched and most of them are unskippable (so if you have to restart a level/checkpoint you'll have to watch all 5 minutes of an introductory cutscene). The bugs are terrible and almost made the game unplayable for me until I edited the registry and changed the file location. Absurd.

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:34 am

Just finished the single player campaign to Battlefield 3 and just like all of the other ones I have played it was pretty awesome. Yes it plays like all the other military FPS' out there but the dialogue between characters is fantastic. Makes me wish they'd make a movie out of it and with the resurgence of Red Dawn I might just have to go watch it to get my fix.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:53 pm

I will shortly be starting out on my trip back to Pandora in Borderlands 2. Looking forward to it! Though I really should finish the very end of the Clap Trap DLC in BL1 before I open a whole new game up.

However, currently I'm on my third play through Deus Ex 3. I'm going for a bit of a combo - the pacifist achievement along with saving Malik in the crash while on the hardest difficulty level. So far I've failed, even though I think I succeeded. Little things like how DX3 decides Jensen is at fault for a death can blow the achievement, and of course you're not told when it fails so you can go back to an earlier save. Here's hoping. Mostly I go along the stealth just not be seen route, but sometimes the odd knockout is inevitable.

Also still trying to get into Serious Sam 3, which is a great game as far as a shooter goes, but I'm now several levels in and it is only just starting to catch my attention. I read that elsewhere too, that it takes a while to wind up. However, I now have the rocket launcher and the cannon, and also found a hole in one of the maps so I could go for a walk outside the level and look at the scenery completely sans enemies, so that was kind of cool.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Having a blast with Sonic Racing Transformed. Got the PS3 version to play with my son whose small hands better fit the PS3 controller. Racing while using the L2 button to accelerate still feels a bit foreign despite playing that way for hours on end with MotorStorm, but it's do-able. Of course, the theme of the game provides a varied racing experience as your vehicle transforms from car to boat to plane as the tracks' terrain changes. The tracks do a great job with this. It's just as fun if not more so than the previous Sonic Racing game, which is great. Try it out if you get the urge. It's lots of fun!

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Just bought Don't Starve, which is a newly-released (well, in beta form) indie free-form survival game. As the title suggests, your only objective when you start is to find food to eat. You start with nothing, and begin scavenging the randomly-generated world for rocks and twigs and grass and such so you can build tools or a campfire. In that sense, it's a lot like Minecraft, but without the building. Eventually you start running into all kinds of nasty creatures, as you progress into crafting more and more advanced stuff that requires more and more advanced materials. Ultimately, you're just trying to survive as long as possible. I've only played for 20 minutes so far, but I can already tell it's $12 (or $6, counting the extra copy they give you) well spent.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 pm

FiSH wrote:Having a blast with Sonic Racing Transformed. Got the PS3 version to play with my son whose small hands better fit the PS3 controller. Racing while using the L2 button to accelerate still feels a bit foreign despite playing that way for hours on end with MotorStorm, but it's do-able. Of course, the theme of the game provides a varied racing experience as your vehicle transforms from car to boat to plane as the tracks' terrain changes. The tracks do a great job with this. It's just as fun if not more so than the previous Sonic Racing game, which is great. Try it out if you get the urge. It's lots of fun!

I have it for Wii U. I use the Gamepad as a map, although the game is so fast-action, it's hard to look down at the Gamepad. If anyone gets the Wii U version, make sure you install the update (assuming you have a choice), it doesn't take long. The update fixes bugs in the Wii U version.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:01 am

I'd love to get a Wii U, but I'm focusing on a tv at the moment. Glad you're enjoying it.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:28 am

FiSH wrote:I'd love to get a Wii U, but I'm focusing on a tv at the moment. Glad you're enjoying it.

You aren't actually missing much right now. But it seems, if you want to play me in online games, this is the system to get. There aren't too many games we could play though, I could buy Call Of Duty: Black Ops II Wii U, but I assume you already own it and would have to buy it for this platform. The reason why I want it is because I hear two players can play without split-screen, one using the TV and the other using the Gamepad.

So the game I just got done playing is Scribblenauts Unlimited Wii U:

You make noun objects and adjectives to solve puzzles, occassionally those puzzles being a bit challenging. It's almost as good as Sonic Racing Transformed.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:28 am

I don't own Black Ops 2 yet, but it'll be a ways down the road when I finally get the system. Lots of good reviews for new Scribblenauts on Steam. I might just pick it up.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 am

FiSH wrote:I don't own Black Ops 2 yet, but it'll be a ways down the road when I finally get the system. Lots of good reviews for new Scribblenauts on Steam. I might just pick it up.

The Wii U version has the advantage of having Nintendo characters, but it's also a bit pricier.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:44 am

Assassin's Creed 3 is a lot like the first game, in that it has a lot of potential but it's never actually realized. Maybe it was because I lost my savegame and I don't feel like regrinding the collectibles and sidemissions (they lead to actual story missions) but I'm "done" with AC3. I don't care how it ends, I don't care how it progresses the series. I'm 3/4s done and I feel no closer to accomplishing something than at the beginning of the game. This seems to be a problem with Ubisoft. They don't really know how to make a proper beginning, middle, and end. Far too many of their games go unfinished because I have no incentive to complete them.

Assassin's Creed 3 starts out brilliantly, in that you play a completely different character who's actually really interesting and charismatic. You do this for several hours, then there's an awesome twist, and then you finally play as the actual main character (Connor). Connor is a lot like Altair in that he has a dry personality, an annoying amount of impatience, and never actually grows as a character. Incredibly naive and alarmingly arrogant the character just gallivants around the game world without subtlety or purpose. You will literally stumble into important events in the American Revolution and become an integral part to it all. It's like the game is touring you through a museum, forcing your nose into all of its exhibits and never actually letting you explore for yourself.

You will take command of soldiers, lead naval battles, incite riots, toss tea into Boston Harbor... It's not that you're an invisible hand pulling strings and having things fall into place -- no, you're actually doing all of it yourself. Why Connor didn't replace George Washington as the father of our nation is beyond me (perhaps Native American discrimination?). The game even completely throws away the whole Assassin's Creed thing. When you finally become an assassin after playing out Connor's childhood there's no ceremony or lesson as to what it means to be an assassin. The game will just blanket the world in snow every other mission to let you know the years are passing by as Connor narrates a brief synopsis of the training he's done. It's even acknowledged in the game that Connor is more of an outsider fighting for his own agenda than an actual member of the Brotherhood of Assassins.

Assassin's Creed 2 was the highlight of the series and one of my favorite games. They handled Ezio brilliantly. The pacing was perfect, the character was suave and cool yet had a lot to learn. He grows up and develops an identity and a code. He struggles, he succeeds, he fails, and he keeps at it until he reaches his goal. He develops relationships with side characters and family means something. There is always a foil of some sort to contrast Ezio and remind all of us as to who he really is. But there's none of that in Assassin's Creed 3. There's also very little Native American influence. It's merely a backstory with one or two hunting missions and that's it. There's no emotional attachment. The game likes to hint at the dual-nature of the American Revolution (the Patriots weren't always the good guys) but at some point the game gives up and, indeed, turns AC3 into "AMURKAH FUCK YEAH."

Throw in the simplification of the controls that makes it so that you can't run without humping a wall, the lack of anything to freerun on (unless you count branches that are laid out in a linear path for you to run in one direction with), and really the lack of assassination and you're left with a pretty boring, non-AC game. The naval missions and pretty graphics sorta save it but then it becomes old as you realize just how much of the world is carelessly copy-pasted and how the naval missions become a boring, repetitive grind of Empire: Total War in the third person.

In short, don't bother with this game.

Flyby Spud

Postby SuperCharge » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:12 pm

I played this game a little while ago instead of playing it now, but still, posting my impressions here saves creating a new thread. My Halo 4 impressions:

First off, I'm a Halo fan or have been but I'm not an avid Halo fan.

Okay so this game does some things better than Halo 3, and some things worse. You can now run on this game, which is a nice addition. It reminds you of the running in Lost Planet except the game is in first-person, of course. Another mentionable addition is rocket packs. The idea of rocket packs sounds really cool. While the rocket pack in this game is cool, it's still not as cool as the idea of having a rocket pack sounds. Now for the bad. Dual-wielding was taken away. This causes the game to go several years backward in technology, to Halo: Combat Evolved.

The storyline pretty much revolves around a Forerunner who is able to unite the Covenant against you. This Forerunner is pretty macho, in a way, and Forerunners are already powerful by themselves, if you follow the Halo story. The problem is, when you get to the end of the game, there is no climactic battle with them. You press two buttons to defeat them. The Halo series isn't really about boss battles, but in Halo 1 you blew up the ring... I believe... in Halo 2, you fought Tartarus. And in Halo 3, you fought a small robot. But this game seems to be the least climactic in the series. I'll be fair though... and say that the way the storyline twisted, it still fit.

There are only 8 missions in the Campaign. Luckily, each mission is pretty long, lasting 30-45 minutes.

This game has some bad reviews but is critically acclaimed as the best Halo game by some. The problem with the Halo series is that, like some other games in the game industry, not enough progress is being made.

At $60, this game may disappoint most people who aren't avid Halo fans. But some places are selling this game on sale for $40. At $40, it's a slightly better purchase.

My score: 8.5/10

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Did a playthrough of the single player Orange Box games (Half-Life 2, Episode 1&2, Portal), I used to have a really old PC that couldn't handle those games comfortably but now playing them on high detail and all was a lot of fun. I now have a less old PC but still pretty old... (I do have the money for an upgrade, but I'm getting married in May so I'm not going to spend that much money on a PC).

I bought Portal 2 in the Steam holiday sale, it's downloading right now, I hope it's not too much for my aging system, I'd like to play this in high detail as well. We'll see how it goes.

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 am

I'm attempting to play Far Cry 3, which I thought would be the season's best FPS. Turns out it's a FPR (First Person Rockthrower.) Lord I hate stealth missions. If I'm detected, at least do me the courtesy of killing me off in battle with the reinforcements, don't just say mission failed so that I've spent twenty minutes in frustrating duck-walking without even a fight.

So I give it 6/10. It does fix the second game's blinding flaw of having to fight your way past a checkpoint you destroyed literally sixty seconds ago, but it's got the worst imaginable case of consolitus. There are three saves and autosaves, but only one is accessible - I suppose the others are for Act 2 and Act 3. And it doesn't matter where I'm at when I save, I restart the mission. Since there is in fact a "restart mission" option, this renders my save useless. I cannot take down two guards and save my progress. The menu system is lifted straight from the console version, which makes it very clunky by PC standards. Mission areas are quite small, meaning I often can't approach a problem from another side without automatically failing because I left the "mission area". They have literally made a rigidly linear open world game - go figure.

Honestly, at this point if a developer is merely going to port the engine to PC, I'd prefer they didn't bother. If you're making a game for consoles only, just be honest about it and instead of porting to PC to make a few extra bucks, spend your time on DLC for the consoles.

My wife dropped fifty bucks on this thing; it'll be $25 in six months.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 am

Your complaint about stealth and cute little name (FPR) make no sense, because you almost never have to distract a guard that way again after the tutorial sequence if you don't want to. Well, I can think of one or two missions where stealth is required and it'd be pretty difficult not to use a rock throw, but that's really just one of the options (basically, if you're too impatient to wait for an opening in the patrol). For 95% of the game, that's what stealth is, an option; you can go into pretty much anywhere guns-ablazin'.

I'll agree that the menus are god-awful, but I never had a problem with the checkpoint saves for missions. I mean, when you really think about it, quick-saving after every little thing is practically cheating. Because then there is no consequence for failure, no having to improvise and change up your tactics when (for example) you're trying to be sneaky and are detected. Just hit the quick load and try that silenced headshot one more time! Lame. And while it's true that many missions do take place in confined areas, you usually are allowed to approach it from a different direction. Just make sure you get over there before you get close and start it up/enable the distance limit. But to call this game rigidly linear is ludicrous. As soon as you're let loose from the first proper mission, you are free to explore practically the ENTIRE island, liberating outposts and earning money, crafting every item and unlocking most of the guns without following the storyline. Not even Grand Theft Auto lets you do that.

In conclusion, I think Far Cry 3 is bloody awesome, and will rate it 10/10 to bring up the SP average score to something more respectable. So take that!

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 am

I'm on the mission where I have to sneak on board a beached ship and if I'm detected, I automatically lose. I've waited twenty minutes and the guards NEVER went out of their buddy's sight. That's twenty minutes I've spent duck walking behind rocks and listening to the same half-dozen lines of dialog. And this would be fun - how? If saving is cheating, what the hell is "Mission failed" simply because I've been detected? One simply cannot get more artificial and arbitrary than that. Should I not have at least some chance to fight it out?

Oddly enough, this game actually has a compelling plot - rescuing my brother and friends - and yet the developers seem hell-bent on making me not want to save them. I do a mission, I'm locked into a "mission area". I do a mission, my save slot simply restarts the mission. Why not simply end the game and make me restart? If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly. (Not that this level of realism would make sense in a game where every third bush flashes, every chest with $6 and a rat skull necklace is marked on my map, and I get nanny-prompted about everything short of remembering to breathe.) Why go to the bother of creating a plot and missions when actually playing them is counter-productive?

Far Cry 2 was awesome except for that one enormously bad decision. Far Cry 3 is an awesome world coupled with virtually every bad decision possible to make, a very adult shooter where the level of prompts and aids are more appropriate for Super Mario Junior Playschool Edition. It's like Ubisoft fixed Far Cry 2's big error and broke virtually everything else.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm

You have stealth weapons, right? You're not just trying to sneak close for takedowns? Because that's tough, at least until you unlock the skills for taking down a whole room of people at once. Silenced sniper rifle is easy mode, bow & arrow intermediate, and SMG or rifle a bit harder still, but all of those ways are probably better than what you're doing. Also, rarely do guards NOT isolate themselves at some point, that's just how the game was designed to enable the stealth option. Do yourself a favor and take out your camera to mark the enemies, so you can see where they are and where they're looking. Don't always assume the patrolling guard is the one you should take out, either; he may have his buddy's eyes on him, but if he's walking away from that buddy, the BUDDY is the one isolated. Patrolling guard won't notice if you take out stationary buddy, so do one and then the other. I remember that mission now, and I was never detected once. You're struggling with a lack of knowledge of the proper tactics, which I imagine stems from a dislike of stealth in general, and so you never really tried it before this mission where it's required?

As for the excessive on-screen prompts, they recently patched in the option(s) to disable those. I haven't checked it out yet, but that was my other major complaint aside from the menus. Obviously it bothered a lot of other people, too, and the complaints drove them to do something about it.

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:35 am

When I first started I had nothing but a knife, an assault rifle and a sniper rifle. After several run-throughs I decided this wasn't working. If one guard sees his buddy down it's impossible for me to do a take-down without him getting off a shot or shout, and there's nowhere to make a concealed approach to both individually within knife range. Luckily I hadn't overwritten my one save file, so I was able to restore and then play up to this mission again, then buy a machine pistol and a suppressor. Unfortunately after taking down the first pair of guards I used my one save. The next pair of guards were taking a looong time to separate, so I finally used the machine pistol on them both. Unfortunately one of them got off a shout and the third pair of guards sent up a flair. That's when I discovered that in addition to hemming me into a small area, accepting a mission also ruined my save file, only restarting the mission and thereby making it impossible to try another weapon or do other things first to earn a better weapon. I'm stuck in this boring mission unless I want to start a new game. I've already spent at least an hour on it; if I wanted to spend my time duck walking and hiding I'd play Thief.

I'm not really a fan of stealth missions, although I don't mind occasionally skulking along when needed, but I really really really hate arbitrarily failing because I've been detected. I really really really hate being confined within an arbitrarily "mission area" in what's supposed to be an open world. I really really really hate missions where I'm led around like a lab rat, forced to do 'A', 'B', & 'C' to follow the programmers' script. And I really really really hate having to spend half an hour waiting for three sets of guards to align for me to take them down. I want to be moving, doing something. It's a game, and for me, hiding and duck walking around while listening to AI NPCs spout the same handful of tired cliches is NOT fun. Hopefully the modding community will produce something I want to play; otherwise I'll probably eventually start a new game and just ignore the story line and missions, thereby getting at least some enjoyment from it. I really wish I had skipped this one though, at least until it hit $10 or $20. As it stands I have zero interest in playing it any farther and I've barely even gotten started. When I have time to play again, I'm going back to Counterstrike and/or Fallout New Vegas.

As far as having more than one save file being cheating, isn't that the nature of video games? My character has zero training and yet I'm able to easily defeat a dozen well-armed, murderous pirates at will. Being able to soak up rifle bullets is also cheating. Having even one save file - even checkpoint saves - is also cheating.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 am

All I can say is, I have no clue what you're talking about. It's as if you're playing an entirely different game. I don't remember being forced to replay missions after you fail them at all. In fact, leaving the mission area is usually the standard way to say "screw this, I'm going to do something else." Then you just return whenever you want. Other than that... Well, I was trying to dance around saying this, but it sounds to me like a skill deficiency is at fault here. In half an hour, the guards will complete their patrol circuit at least a couple dozen times, giving you ample opportunity to proceed safely. Maybe it's just not your kind of game. It's not an RPG like Fallout where you can pause and let your stats determine your success. :(

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:46 pm

I actually play Fallout like a shooter; I don't use the zoom-up thingee. I'm an FPS kinda guy and the last two Fallout games are the only RPGs I've played. I beat the first Far Cry on hardest difficulty, and I've beaten Far Cry 2 twice on hardest difficulty.

Something must be wrong because my guards are not really walking a patrol circuit. For two pairs, one guard walks maybe forty feet while the other very occasionally walks maybe ten feet at most. For the third pair, one guard walks maybe twenty feet while the other very occasionally walks maybe ten feet at most.

If I leave the mission area I get a warning, then a "Mission failed" graphic, then I get dumped back into the start of the mission. (Not at where I really started the mission, in the safe house, but where I entered the "mission area" right before I first encounter the lone guard I knifed. Without starting a new game I have no way to do anything else since both my checkpoint save and my one save restart the mission as well. Is this a bug? Do I need to reload the game?

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 pm

That may be, I hadn't considered a glitch. If I can remember to do so next time I pick up my second playthrough, I'll try it myself.

One last thing, though; have you been playing with FC3 on the highest difficulty? I'm pretty sure that makes the AI a lot more strict about stealth detection. You might want to lower it, at least to get through that mission or until you get the hang of the mechanics.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 am

Just got Dishonored on the Steam sale, and this now my new favourite game!

Admittedly, there are many aspects that hint of influence from other games, specifically Deus Ex, Thief, Bioshock and Timeshift, but it is all done so well, and the story driving it all is so interesting that it stands on its own.

Excellent playtime for me!

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 am

jacobvandy wrote:That may be, I hadn't considered a glitch. If I can remember to do so next time I pick up my second playthrough, I'll try it myself.

One last thing, though; have you been playing with FC3 on the highest difficulty? I'm pretty sure that makes the AI a lot more strict about stealth detection. You might want to lower it, at least to get through that mission or until you get the hang of the mechanics.

I was, and am. I dropped to medium and breezed through it, although I also used the magic camera that sees through rocks (which to me IS cheating and highly non-immersive.)

I'm sticking with 6/10 though. I do not much like this game.

EDIT: Did I say 6/10? Sorry, 3/10. Had the boss fight with Buck - nothing but a Quicktime button pushing exercise. Jump, monkey, jump! Now I'm literally stuck being stoned while fighting a giant (not too difficult) followed by being clawed to death by things I can't see, all the while having my feet glued to the ground. It's like a highly talented bunch of code monkey created this great world only to see it turned over to a group of teenagers to make their anime wet dream. Grrr!

Fuck a bunch of Citra. No wonder her rebels are getting their asses kicked, they're stoners stuck fighting imaginary monsters. I'm just going to explore.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 am

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Quiet possibly one of the shittiest games I've ever played. What makes it shitty is that there is nothing to commend it. No silly quirk, no funny glitches, no endearing "this is so terrible it's great." It's just mediocre in every way. It's Black Ops 2 before BLOPS was out but in an awkward third person, like if Kane and Lynch and Gears of War had a baby. The art style is horrific. The post-processing literally filters out everything. You're encouraged to just stick with your NVG/X-Ray/Thermal vision the entire time (at least there's color). Terrible textures, poor modeling, terrible animations, tight and linear maps with uninspired level design, run and gun gameplay (it tries to do the whole stealth thing but all it is is crouching from cover to cover since you auto-cloak)...

Then there's the fact that you need to minimize from the game and tell Windows to display everything on one screen and then revert back. This is the only game that has issues with dual monitors. Ambient Occlusion, besides adding nothing, lowers my framerate to 29 FPS despite having a pretty damn powerful rig. In fact, Max Payne 3 used the same engine and that game ran perfectly. The menus and interface is horrific, as are the controls.

GR:FS lost everything that made Ghost Recon cool. It's a cash grab console port with little effort put into it. But even if you were to play it on consoles there's just nothing to redeem it. It's not fun. The plot is nonexistent. The characters are indistinguishable save for Steve Blum playing Steve Blum as Steve Blum. Everything about this is bad.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 am

^ So I figure you were unimpressed? Not sure, I got a kind of ambiguous vibe from your review...
;)

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Evidently I'm dealing with another glitch in Far Cry 3. I watched a video walk-through of the stoner monster mission and not only were the attackers (and surroundings) visible, the player could move. Can't think of any reason Play Station 3 and PC games would be that much different and I can't imagine that Hard difficulty would make me blind and glued to the ground, so it must be a glitch.

Last time I played I ignored the plot line, just cleaned out pirate strong points and had random encounters. Had a blast, maybe 7/10 or 8/10.

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Synchronicity wrote:Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Quiet possibly one of the shittiest games I've ever played. What makes it shitty is that there is nothing to commend it. No silly quirk, no funny glitches, no endearing "this is so terrible it's great." It's just mediocre in every way. It's Black Ops 2 before BLOPS was out but in an awkward third person, like if Kane and Lynch and Gears of War had a baby. The art style is horrific. The post-processing literally filters out everything. You're encouraged to just stick with your NVG/X-Ray/Thermal vision the entire time (at least there's color). Terrible textures, poor modeling, terrible animations, tight and linear maps with uninspired level design, run and gun gameplay (it tries to do the whole stealth thing but all it is is crouching from cover to cover since you auto-cloak)...

Then there's the fact that you need to minimize from the game and tell Windows to display everything on one screen and then revert back. This is the only game that has issues with dual monitors. Ambient Occlusion, besides adding nothing, lowers my framerate to 29 FPS despite having a pretty damn powerful rig. In fact, Max Payne 3 used the same engine and that game ran perfectly. The menus and interface is horrific, as are the controls.

GR:FS lost everything that made Ghost Recon cool. It's a cash grab console port with little effort put into it. But even if you were to play it on consoles there's just nothing to redeem it. It's not fun. The plot is nonexistent. The characters are indistinguishable save for Steve Blum playing Steve Blum as Steve Blum. Everything about this is bad.

Glad I passed that up. It was tempting - I got a half price offer a few months back, and if it had been first person I'd have jumped on it.

Ghost Recon had some damned cool things in it, so that even though the games as a whole weren't particularly good they were still reasonably fun to play. Sad to see it drop like this.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:14 pm

The new XCOM is fucking great. I never played the original(s), so knowing only that it was a turn-based tactical deal left the enormously in-depth strategic management side a very pleasant surprise. I didn't think I should attempt Classic difficulty based on that lack of experience with the series, but I am enjoying the weight of choices and consequences associated with Ironman mode; instead of saving and loading on a whim (like a PUSSY ;) ), my single autosave updates after everything I do. So when my soldier is killed because I made the wrong move, or Japan spirals into chaos and AFAIK is completely obliterated by the aliens because I chose to focus my efforts elsewhere, it means something. I may not have taken the time customizing every little aspect of the appearance of each of my troops, but they do have distinct identities and skills, so when you've leveled up a squad from rookies to lieutenants and captains, you actually care about their survival and feel bad when they're injured or killed (and not just because that means you can't use them for a while or ever again).

It is a lot to learn, in fact the tutorial sequence lasted about an hour and a half before they let me loose to do whatever, but it's a truly deep and challenging strategy game. Or at least, it feels that way when there's a very real possibility of losing if you make too many mistakes. I've found lately that I miss that about games... Winning isn't as much fun when there's no chance of defeat.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm

^ Classic mode is pretty brutal. The original Xcom was very unforgiving with its difficulty. I never did beat it actually. After many, many failed games I finally managed to get to the alien base on Mars but couldn't get any further.
I agree that the new Xcom is pretty great. It captures pretty much everything that made the original great and brings it to the modern era. I have no idea how well it's selling but I really want there to be more in the franchise. Hopefully I can get more at least one more play-thru soon. Damned back log of games.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:28 pm

^ One of the things that held me back from buying the new XCOM was my fear that it wouldn't live up to my memories of the original. I've played several of the copies and spiritual successors, but none of them made me actually care about keeping my team alive, or the Earth from being invaded, like the very first. Good to hear this one is a good game!

Just finished DISHONORED being a mostly good Corvo. It was far too short, and could easily have another 10 hours of gameplay added to pad the story. That said, I loved what I played, and am looking forward to reentering Dunwall and seeing how it plays out when I take the less subtle route.

In the meantime I'm going to cool my heels finishing off BORDERLANDS 2 and waiting for Bioshock Infinite. And maybe I'll get THE CAVE, cause that looks brilliant!

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:51 am

I finally got around to buying Skyrim. I told myself I wasn't gonna buy it until it was on sale during a summer break. I knew it would suck me in, and I feared for my GPA. It was 50% off on Steam over the weekend. I couldn't resist, so I picked it up.

Bad idea. :P

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 am

Played Portal 2, which was aces. Had to check a walkthrough a couple of times though, the puzzle difficulty was harder than in Portal 1. I was glad my PC could handle it, had to turn off AA&AF but then it was fine.

Also playing the Unreal series, played Unreal, Return to Na Pali and the fan campaign Operation: Na Pali. Actually pretty great for a fanmade campaign, except some pretty bad voice acting and AI pathfinding (the guys following you frequently get stuck or jump off cliffs, thankfully you don't fail the mission if they die like in some games). The level design is very good, the environments are far less low poly than in Unreal itself. Played it on Hard, a nice challenge, still nothing too difficult but I've played so much Unreal over the years that Medium has become too easy.

Now I'm going to upgrade to Windows 8 and then install Unreal 2. I heard it's not that great but also not particularly bad so we'll see how it goes.

Upgrading from Windows XP also enables me to play Halo 2. I enjoyed Halo 1 a lot so I was thinking about replaying it and then buying Halo 2 somewhere on the cheap. Has anyone here played Halo 2 for the PC? Is it a fun game and a good port? Gearbox did the Halo 1 port and that was an excellent port, ran flawlessly, never crashed, no weird issues.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:48 am

Just finished the Dead Space series. I enjoyed the first one well enough despite how sluggish the movement was thanks to being a shoddy console port. It got repetitive towards the end but it was fun and deeply engaging. Dead Space 2 was absolute excellence. I loved the setting, the animations were great, a few of the scare techniques were excellent, and the combat and movement was a lot tighter (despite an even shittier FOV). All in all I loved it but for a horror series it wasn't all that horrific. It used cheap gimmicks, didn't take advantage of some truly pants-shitting opportunities, and became way too predictable.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:48 am

I remember talking about this in my review. Aside from the obligatory jump-out-and-scare-you moments ("I am SO startled right now!"), Dead Space 2 wasn't so scary as it was nerve-wracking. A huge portion of that game is you going, ohshitohshitohshit, I need to do this and this and this but ohmygod that thing is over there and these things are following me and where's that thing I just heard, goddamit all... I guess that could be considered scary, but the combat prowess of your character means there's really not that much to be afraid of. You'll just blow it to smithereens when it finally decides to show itself. So basically they layered this thrill ride element on top of an otherwise pretty standard action game that makes it a lot more, well, thrilling.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 am

Decided to jump into Skyrim again. I never finished the main story line and was also very curious about all the Mod Content available. So I loaded up about 40 mods to improve visuals and add additional Quests, weapons, spells, and other content.

Only about 5-6 hours in with a new character but I'm loving it. They have really done a good job on the graphics mods! This game is looking amazing!
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 am

I'm playing Unreal 2, which, to my surprise, my aging system can handle at Full HD, so I can play it on my new 23'' screen. Helps with the immersion.

I'm finding it a pretty decent game so far. Combat is a slight bit clunky, it doesn't have the finesse of, say, a Halo or Half-Life 2. Hard to put my finger on it exactly, but it feels a bit less refined than some other games. Other negative points are the ridiculous outfit of Aida (seriously, who wears that at work?), some minor plot mistakes such as where the main character knows the destination planet of their next mission before being told the name. The most annoying negative thing I could mention are the ridiculously long load times. I wonder if it's just my system, but I don't know any other shooters where loading takes this long. When quickloading it seems to reload the entire level all over again.

Positive things: It's a pretty looking game with detailed environments. Level design is good. Outdoor environments look fine and indoor rooms are varied and look like they have a purpose and were being lived in before the shit hit the fan. In that respect it's far better than Halo's sparsely decorated rooms and copy-pasted indoor level design. The environments are fun to explore. I also like the radio chatter and banter going back and forth. The characters are pretty decent, it doesn't have stellar writing but also not particularly bad, and I can say the same for the voice acting. That alien pilot is funny with his mangled English.

So far it's about a 7.5/10 game.

PreviousNext

Return to Games