Spud Raider
Site Admin

Quick thoughts on the games you're playing

Postby FiSH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:20 pm

You know the drill. Share with the community your thoughts and impressions of the games you currently have running in your machines. New games, old games - we're all ears!

Flyby Spud

Re: Quick thoughts on the games you're playing

Postby LORD-ORION » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:31 pm

I'm not impressed with anything that's come out recently.

Been playing Civ5, Skyrim, Spore, Trine2 and Torchlight....

Those games I am playing are hardly impressive.... gaming is just getting that bad now...

I actually played a board game the other day... Cities and Knights. IT WAS MORE FUN THEN ANY RECENT GAME!

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 am

I'm pretty much completely lost to Diablo 3 these days. It's funny because I wasn't that hooked until I made it to max level and inferno... then the massive loot hunt/sell starts. So strange that that sort of thing can be so addicting.

-dolynick

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 pm

I continue to play way too much Guild Wars 2, because it's just that good. I really shouldn't admit exactly how much time I've spent on it in the past 5 days or so... It tells you if you type in '/age' to the chat.

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Still playing Fallout 3 New Vegas. Still enjoying playing Fallout 3 New Vegas. Just played the Utah DLC, not bad at all. I'm stuck on the main story line though. Mr. House insists I kill the Brotherhood of steel, the NCR insists I kill Mr. House, Yesman wants me to kill Mr. House, and the NCR insists I not work with Yesman. I tried killing Mr. House and was told I had committed an atrocity against humanity, so I restored. And I'm not willing to kill the BoS, since they were nice to me and aren't hurting anyone. (Is wearing steel jammies and living in a hole in the ground really so wrong?) Frankly, the factions are all a bunch of dicks this time around, even though I'm on good terms with all except Caesar's legion. (And he's dead anyway; I went for a visit and was attacked, ending up killing everyone there including Caesar. Maybe I was supposed to equip the Mark of Caesar . . .)

And my character got laid - sort of. I got a room at the Vault Inn, brought the wackadoodle innkeeper a bunch of jumpsuits from other vaults, then found I got stuck in place when I tried to enter my room. The said wackadoodle comes in, strips down to her very unstylish man undies - and goes to sleep! Not how I remember sex. Nobody even got tied up . . .

Tater Tot

Postby Pliskin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Sucks that if you beat New Vegas you can't play the DLC. Just bought em all during the last steam sale and couldn't play a single one. :(

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:28 am

Pliskin, didn't know that. I've been slowly working my way through NV, though I've more or less lost motivation to continue the main quest anyway, and have modded it to probably beyond my ability to have fun anymore. If what you say is true, then I think I'll start firing through the DLCs instead! Plus I'll de-tweak some aspects of the mods.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Huh? I played them just fine after I beat NV.

Tater Tot

Postby Pliskin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Synchronicity wrote:Huh? I played them just fine after I beat NV.

Hmmm are you sure? There is a point of no return message at some point. I loaded my save just before ending cinemas(the only one I had), and there was no way to leave area to get back to the wasteland.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Oh yeah, it autosaves right before the climax and let's you play around before shit hits the fan. The ending isn't very long.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:45 am

Right now I've dived back into Torchlight, in preparation for September 20 and the release of Torchlight 2. Which will be a waste of time since by that time I'll be all over Black Mesa and like, "Torchlight 2? What the hell's that?"

Anyway, on a second play through and having fun. I left it alone long enough for aspects to feel new again and I still like my original char. Need to find some local (European for the time zone) mate to do some MP in TL2 though.

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 pm

grey_area wrote:Pliskin, didn't know that. I've been slowly working my way through NV, though I've more or less lost motivation to continue the main quest anyway, and have modded it to probably beyond my ability to have fun anymore. If what you say is true, then I think I'll start firing through the DLCs instead! Plus I'll de-tweak some aspects of the mods.

Mods made mine as stable as Lindsay Lohan, so I'm playing bone stock. I too have lost all motivation to complete the main quest, so I may try some mods again once I've finished the DLC. The DLC I've tried is pretty good actually. Old World Blues is (perhaps among other things I don't recognize) an homage to The Venture Brothers and initially reasonably amusing, plus it has some fairly difficult combat. Although it also has a boss battle, which I don't care for, especially when thus implemented.

I am SOOOO ready for Fallout 4. Or something similar, like another S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Far Cry game. Till then, I have the new Counterstrike game and probably a dozen or two I've bought but can't recall at the moment.

Tater Tot

Postby Zohar78 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 am

Picked up borderlands game of the year for 7.50 on steam.. oh very enjoyable. Mainly playing halo reach, with some side of halo 3 in anticipation of halo 4. Bought mario world and Mario 3 on nintendo wii. Mario world is still quite fun. havent really played 3 yet, but what i have, its still amazing. Although i forgot almost all the little tricks i did know in the game.

Tater Tot

Postby rebelmime » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Been stuck on League of Legends (free to play) for a few months now. I'd only recommend it to someone with a lot of time to invest into it. Takes a while to get anywhere near decent at the game and the community isn't very nice to people that are still learning.

Somebody mentioned boardgames earlier. I recommend checking out "Zombies"
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2471/zombies

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:38 am

Zohar78 wrote:Picked up borderlands game of the year for 7.50 on steam.. oh very enjoyable. Mainly playing halo reach, with some side of halo 3 in anticipation of halo 4. Bought mario world and Mario 3 on nintendo wii. Mario world is still quite fun. havent really played 3 yet, but what i have, its still amazing. Although i forgot almost all the little tricks i did know in the game.

I've been playing BL again recently. I never finished the final DLC - Claptrap's Robot Revolution - so I've run back into that one and I'm trying to complete the sidequests before finally getting onto the end game. Still think my favourite DLC was The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. My money would be on finishing with that one, just because it is funny as hell. It's not very hard, though. Actually, it is possibly the easiest one. But fun. And hey, more Zombies!

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm

grey_area wrote:
Zohar78 wrote:Picked up borderlands game of the year for 7.50 on steam.. oh very enjoyable. Mainly playing halo reach, with some side of halo 3 in anticipation of halo 4. Bought mario world and Mario 3 on nintendo wii. Mario world is still quite fun. havent really played 3 yet, but what i have, its still amazing. Although i forgot almost all the little tricks i did know in the game.

I've been playing BL again recently. I never finished the final DLC - Claptrap's Robot Revolution - so I've run back into that one and I'm trying to complete the sidequests before finally getting onto the end game. Still think my favourite DLC was The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. My money would be on finishing with that one, just because it is funny as hell. It's not very hard, though. Actually, it is possibly the easiest one. But fun. And hey, more Zombies!

I loved the Dr. Ned DLC but holy crap was it way too easy. Freakin' hilarious though.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm approaching the end of AC: Revelations and have loved almost every minute of it. It doesn't quite have the spark that AC II did, or Brotherhood for that matter, but it's not far off. What I miss most about these games are the large open temples with nothing but platforming puzzles. No enemies, just finding your way to the top. Of course there's no shortage of platforming in the game, just not much like that.

The story appears to be coming together nicely. However, there is a large element that exists to provide you with back story that you never really wondered about and answer questions that you never really had. For instance, I don't give a rat's ass what Altiare did after the events in the first game. Frankly, I'd just as soon forget about that game altogether. I also have little interest in the life of Desmond, whose actually behind all that you as Ezio while inside the animus. So he's pretty significant. Still, most people just want to play as Ezio.

In a nutshell, the historical adventures exist only to have an impact on a reality that you don't see enough of and couldn't care less about as a result. This sci-fi aspect of the AC series has become little more than an irritating interruption in an otherwise incredible experience.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 pm

^^

Wow... and for me its the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, I love the gameplay and the platforming. But what keeps me interested is the modern elements. The story behind the story as it were. I wish they would give you just a little more information, but they have done a good job of giving you just enough to keep you interested and too little to really know all the details. I personally can't wait until we get a full fledged game as Desmond, but as long as they keep the games fun and interesting I won't be too pissed at the delays to that eventuality.

But they better start working their way to that point within the next couple years. I understand the want to milk the franchise but don't ruin it before we get there!
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm with Fish. Desmond is annoying and the..
impending apocalypse / proto-human creators
..thing is really stupid. I just want more juicy historical conspiracies and a proper Assassin-Templar War.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:27 pm

So I'm playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. What a f*cking disappointment. I loved Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 will forever be in my Top 10 games. But MW3 holds barely anything from the previous games. There is almost no character interaction (or characters to begin with), no context to the big set pieces, no emotional development, no intensity, and the game feels like it doesn't even have a plot. It's just a string of disparate battles across the globe against some fictional Russia that can foot enough manpower to invade everyone. It's so brainlessly numbing. At least MW2 was big on the characters and had some very interesting twists. MW3 is soulless in every way.

Flyby Spud

Postby gregorov_14 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:35 am

Started God of War 3 this past, and it seems pretty much like the rest of them so far. Seems like it'll be a decently long game for me, and entertaining as always.

I suppose this can count, but I got Trine 2 during a steam sale, and since I hadn't played Trine at all, I started that a while ago too. Haven't gotten back to it since though, but it's fun. It does get a bit tedious after a while though, so I can't just play it for hours like I could with other games.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Just finished AC: Revelations. It had a great ending (Ezio) immediately followed by a not so great ending (Desmond). Damn good game all around though! Gameplay never seems to get stale.

Bring on 3!!!!

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:32 am

Just fired up Torchlight 2 for a quick blast last night. Wow! That is a fun game. I was feeling like a jaunt and started it on Casual, but now I'm too hooked to go back to the start and up the difficulty. I'll do a harder run either with my Char after completing this run or with a new one later.

However, my single word review would be moreish. I started yesterday evening, and then found that it was 12:30am simply through a sequence of "just one more" questing. The graphics are better than TL1, the play is smoother, the environments OH so much more varied, and a favourite of mine - there are above ground areas. I'm not one who really likes to just go down down down down down ad infinitum, only returning to the surface to sell stuff and restock. I love the open air feel, and it does feel like open air, and not just a dungeon with no ceiling. So far no complaints at all, except that I'm gong away for a few days and won't be able to take this with me!

New favourite game for the shiny penny gamer!

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Playing the Dead Money DLC for Fallout: New Vegas and it's not only the worst thing about FNV, it's quite possibly the worst thing I've ever encountered in a video game. I'm in the vault and it's gone from highly annoying to incredibly annoying. Whoever thought it would be entertaining for the player to run in random directions, desperately seeking an outlet, until his head explodes, over and over and over, should have his teeny weeny penis ripped off and stapled to his forehead so that everyone can immediately identify him.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Warp is a interesting little gem that puts you in control of a little alien who has the ability to warp a few feet away, allowing you to cross through doors and walls. Your also have the ability to warp inside objects - namely humans. Once inside, your can wiggle your little alien until the object or body you occupy explodes. The object of the game is to infiltrate the labs whose scientists captured you. It's a very smart game that'll keep you playing after just a short time in. Bloody good time!

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm

werepossum wrote:Playing the Dead Money DLC for Fallout: New Vegas and it's not only the worst thing about FNV, it's quite possibly the worst thing I've ever encountered in a video game. I'm in the vault and it's gone from highly annoying to incredibly annoying. Whoever thought it would be entertaining for the player to run in random directions, desperately seeking an outlet, until his head explodes, over and over and over, should have his teeny weeny penis ripped off and stapled to his forehead so that everyone can immediately identify him.

100% agree. I'm in there atm, and have found a user created mod on New Vegas Nexus that allows you to press a button and pass the whole thing. So far I've avoided using it, but only because I haven't loaded NV again since I got pissed at that DLC and stopped playing again.

If it was a user made thing it wouldn't have been so bad, but this was charged for!

Flyby Spud

Postby Natedog » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:43 am

Well now that they have lifted the NDA I can tell you that Mechwarrior Online is turning out to be a really great game. There are only a few maps, handful of mechs (and variants) BUT it is really fun to play and most people are getting the basic strategy of squad based battles.

Right now with the 4 maps you battle it out 8v8 style and it's either a last man standing or capture the flag (can be either way) type game modes. That is fun being able to choose that way the game mode. That means if I'm sneaking enough I can cap the base why my teammates are slaughtered.

Fun stuff and if you get in look me up: Natedog

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am

Playing some games from one of the previous Humble Bundle.

Limbo was great. Very moody and atmospheric and just the right puzzle difficulty for me. Had a great time with it.

Braid was fun until world 4 or so (the world where time moves forward if you move right and backward if you move left), then it became too challenging to be enjoyable for me, so I watched the rest on YouTube. Can't say I understand the story, and I also have no interest at all in trying to piece it together, but the puzzles sure were clever. And I like the painterly watercolor aesthetic.
Any of you guys solve all the puzzles by yourself? If you, congrats on being smarter than me.

Bastion: I don't play this kind of game often, and I totally suck at it. Got killed pretty close to the start, figured this was going to be too difficult to be fun for an RPG noob like me, and I don't particularly like this kind of gameplay anyway. The narrator is cool though, how he comments on everything you do.

Also played an favorite of yesteryear, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. Solid shooter with a solid story, definitely recommended for Star Trek fans. Not recommended if you're not a fan (I mean it's a decent game but nothing world-shattering so it has little to offer if Star Trek doesn't interest you) or if you can't get past dated graphics. Voice acting from the Voyager cast is good, the voice acting from some of the supporting characters leaves something to be desired.

Probably trying out Psychonauts next after I finish Elite Force, also from the same Humble Bundle. I think that's going to be right up my alley. Quirky, funny, extremely creative environments, I'm probably going to enjoy it. There was a high-res texture pack released a while ago, I hope it works with the Humble Bundle version.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 am

I finished up syndicate the other day. So very disappointing. It looks good, sounds goods, well acted, and has a solid premise. However, the plot is predictable, the light bloom is annoying, the boss fights suck, it takes away your weapons for no damned reason, and is really freakin' hard on normal difficulty. I did not like it at all and it has tainted the fond memories I have of the original game.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:32 pm

I stopped playing Sniper Elite V2 last night to savor the final mission which I'll play tonight. Great game for the action-centric gamer like myself. I don't want it to end! There's DLC that I'm tempted to get that provides an extra mission to kill Hitler. Might just spring for it.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:45 pm

I finished Operation Flashpoint: Red River. It was ok... The game starts out really rough and each mission is unnecessarily long with the travel time but it does get intense at times and the game sorta handles its subject matter (or at least tries to) with a little bit of intelligence. I think this had a lot of potential to be an authentic OpFlash but neutered from a lack of budget or care.

Flyby Spud

Postby grey_area » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:54 am

Harvester wrote:Braid was fun until world 4 or so (the world where time moves forward if you move right and backward if you move left), then it became too challenging to be enjoyable for me, so I watched the rest on YouTube. Can't say I understand the story, and I also have no interest at all in trying to piece it together, but the puzzles sure were clever. And I like the painterly watercolor aesthetic.
Any of you guys solve all the puzzles by yourself? If you, congrats on being smarter than me.

I don't want to give away the ending / spoilers here, but if you google the secret meanings and easter eggs then there are some pretty revealing aspects... that are only really available to those who seriously have too much time to spend, or who google for them. And no, some of the puzzles I had to have help with too, very clever, but very frustrating!

Space Fry

Postby werepossum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 pm

grey_area wrote:
werepossum wrote:Playing the Dead Money DLC for Fallout: New Vegas and it's not only the worst thing about FNV, it's quite possibly the worst thing I've ever encountered in a video game. I'm in the vault and it's gone from highly annoying to incredibly annoying. Whoever thought it would be entertaining for the player to run in random directions, desperately seeking an outlet, until his head explodes, over and over and over, should have his teeny weeny penis ripped off and stapled to his forehead so that everyone can immediately identify him.

100% agree. I'm in there atm, and have found a user created mod on New Vegas Nexus that allows you to press a button and pass the whole thing. So far I've avoided using it, but only because I haven't loaded NV again since I got pissed at that DLC and stopped playing again.

If it was a user made thing it wouldn't have been so bad, but this was charged for!

I got a bit of satisfaction by using a carry weight console command cheat so that I could take all the gold bars. Was a hollow victory though because I played DM late in the campaign, didn't need any of the gold, and never cashed in any. Still, I felt a teeny tiny bit better at having deprived the developers of depriving me of most of the gold.

To be honest, one reason I so detested DM was that I never developed my melee weapons or unarmed combat skills, which left me totally unprepared for this DLC.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 am

I played my way through Binary Domain a few days ago. I was expecting it to be average across the board but I had a ton of fun it. Story wise it seems like a cross between the I-Robot movie and Armitage 3. The writing feels B grade at times but is voice acted well enough. There is a twist which is neat but my feelings while playing were vastly different than the characters which made for an odd disconnect. The game play is your standard 3rd person cover based style. What makes it stand out is what happens when you hit the enemy. You fight wave after wave of robots. When shot, armor and limbs shatter and go flying off to the corners of the room. It gives real weight to the impact and damage being done by the bullets. On top of that, watching what happens when a limb is removed is great. Blow off their gun arm and they'll pick the gun up off the ground with their other arm. Remove a leg and they'll crawl towards you terminator style. It really keeps the action entertaining. The bosses are of the huge, epic, and sometimes bullshitty style. They look great and they game does well to hint you in the general direction of how to beat them but often times feel like battles of attrition. Playtime is around the 10 hour mark so I don't suggest paying full price for it but I do recommend you get it.

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:55 am

Boy, Psychonauts sure is a boatload of fun! So much to see and do, such creative environments, solid gameplay and a wonderful sense of humor. I'm having an awesome time with it. Might make my top 10 of all time.

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:03 pm

jwhx wrote:I finished up syndicate the other day. So very disappointing. It looks good, sounds goods, well acted, and has a solid premise. However, the plot is predictable, the light bloom is annoying, the boss fights suck, it takes away your weapons for no damned reason, and is really freakin' hard on normal difficulty. I did not like it at all and it has tainted the fond memories I have of the original game.

I just finished it and I liked it. I thought the bloom was fucking terrible and the boss fights were a bit annoying but the plot only became predictable towards the very end. Everything else was pretty interesting. Awesome environments, well acted, good sound, and I fucking love the tidbits of lore throughout the game. That's pretty much the single most effective way to immerse a consumer into your game: little stories about the world to make it more believable.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 am

Just started playing The Dream Machine, a claymation point & click adventure. I've just begun to learn the brunt of the story but the ambiance coupled with the visual style is completely captivating. You play as Victor who just moved into a new apartment with his wife, Alicia. Things start out all happy and nice until clues left behind from the previous tenant unravel a mystery. Everyone should try it out!

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:33 am

Finished Psychonauts and it was great! Such a whirlwind of imagination and creativity, I loved every minute of it. Top 10 material. If anyone's interested, they should play the Steam version on PC (or Mac) because the textures have been upgraded and the formerly grueling final level has been made a bit easier. So definitely go PC over PS2 or Xbox on this one.

Now I'm playing Tomb Raider Legend. It's pretty cool. I'm surprised I can enable the next generation content and still have a decent framerate on my old rig, didn't expect that. Definitely a better game than the last TR games made by Core Design, so it's good that Crystal Dynamics took over the franchise. It's good fun, looking forward to continuing.

Space Fry

Postby Harvester » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 am

I f***ing hate difficult boss fights. Tomb Raider: Legend's final boss, whose idea of fun is that? Coupled by the checkpoint save system which makes you start from the beginning every time, made me watch the end on YouTube. Seriously, f*** that shit.

At least Psychonauts' bosses weren't frustratingly hard, those were okay and way more fun to fight than TR Legend's boss.

I don't like not finishing games, but this is just not my idea of fun, so next game it is.

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 am

grey_area wrote:
Harvester wrote:Braid was fun until world 4 or so (the world where time moves forward if you move right and backward if you move left), then it became too challenging to be enjoyable for me, so I watched the rest on YouTube. Can't say I understand the story, and I also have no interest at all in trying to piece it together, but the puzzles sure were clever. And I like the painterly watercolor aesthetic.

I don't want to give away the ending / spoilers here, but if you google the secret meanings and easter eggs then there are some pretty revealing aspects... that are only really available to those who seriously have too much time to spend, or who google for them. And no, some of the puzzles I had to have help with too, very clever, but very frustrating!

I enjoyed Braid quite a bit. I managed to get through the entire game on my own, up until the very last level (or sequence), which I found almost impossibly difficult. I stopped playing for a while, and just never got around to finishing it. Maybe I should finally do that.

Next

Return to Games