Spud Runner

Hybrid console Nintendo Switch revealed

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Two hum-dingers in one day! Rumors have been swirling about the interwebs for the past couple years, but now we finally see what new hardware Nintendo has been working on.

In their usual non-conformist fashion, they're not trying to stuff ever more horsepower under the hood... Instead, the Switch appears to be a mid-size tablet that can be enjoyed on the go, as well as docked into a charging station for traditional living room gaming on a TV. This generation's signature innovation is a pair of wireless controller dongles that can be used separately as well as attached to either the sides of the tablet or a controller grip. Interestingly, they can also be split up among two players for multiplayer action.

Of course we're all dying to know the specs, but all that's been confirmed so far is that it's powered by a custom NVIDIA Tegra chip. I'm wondering if the console mode affords it any additional processing power, or if there will be backwards compatibility with the Wii(-U), and its use of cartridges for loading games into the tablet raises questions about possible intermingling with Nintendo's extensive catalog of handheld games. For now, we can see its core design features demonstrated in the world premiere trailer:

Spud Runner

Re: Hybrid console Nintendo Switch revealed

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:26 am

They had a more in-depth press conference tonight, announcing that the Switch launches March 3rd for $300. Those little controllers are pretty damn impressive, with the gyroscopic function of the Wii Motion+, an IR sensor that tracks shapes and distance, and supposedly the most advanced rumble action of any console ever, all packed into that tiny space...

But the answer to my personal most important question came at the very, very end (of course): ZELDA IS A LAUNCH TITLE! :))

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm kinda blah when it comes to the Switch, mostly because its some weird amalgamation of a standard console and a portable one but manages to not be well designed for either purpose. Great its portable console with crappy battery life, and its too big to really be portable and because its portable the hardware in it isn't really powerful enough for a normal console.

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of good games on it, but I just can't help but feel they would have been better off sticking with a normal console capable of decent graphics and leaving their portable console separate. And don't get me started on how lame the name "Switch" is...

All that being said, I do really like what I have seen of the new Zelda game. So I'll guess I'll have to wait and see if it peaks my interest enough to get a Switch or not.
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:08 am

Well, they've got me hyped because I skipped owning a Wii or Wii-U. I love that they're re-releasing stuff like Mario Kart 8 and probably Smash Bros. and hope that they give other big titles from the past several years the same treatment. To me, that's not padding their line-up with old stuff like some are deriding them for, that's a legitimate draw! And I don't look to Nintendo for super high-end graphics because they're creative enough to make games that are compelling without relying on eye candy, while still looking decent with an emphasis on art style over poly count and texture size. Plus I get plenty of that type of thing on PC, which is why I've always felt Nintendo consoles are a perfect complement.

I don't see the battery life as an issue, either, because it's really not too far off from playing hardware-intensive mobile games on existing phones or tablets. You're gonna drain your battery in just a few hours doing that, too, so sitting somewhere where you can plug in the charger is pretty standard for extended sessions. And even the most complex games available on Android or iOS aren't half as awesome as playing full-fledged Nintendo console games in portable form will be!

Anyway, I figured I'd put down the answers to some of my own questions from the OP:

- Still no detailed internal specs available AFAIK, but they've stated some general things. Battery lasts 3 to 6 hours or so, depending on the game. The Joy-cons will last up to 20 hours before needing to be re-charged. The screen is 6.2" diagonal with a 720p resolution and is in fact multi-touch capable with haptic feedback. It has onboard stereo speakers as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack, and will charge using the newer standard USB-C port. The integrated WiFi is 802.11ac, and up to eight Switch tablets can connect to each other locally. Internal storage is 32GB, but can be upgraded with a microSDXC card (up to 2TB in the future, but for now 128GB is more feasible).

- The dock does not offer additional processing power, but since it's hooked up to the AC adapter while it's in there, they can relax the power throttling that is enacted to conserve battery while portable. So games will be displayed at up to 1080p on the TV and scale down to the screen's native 720p on the go.

- No backwards compatibility with Wii-U games as I'd hoped, but the aforementioned ports of games like Mario Kart 8 show that they have no problem with some more popular titles from last generation *puts on sunglasses* making the Switch.

- I've seen pictures of the Switch cartridge and, unfortunately, they're longer and more rectangular than the ones used for the DS and 3DS. It was a long shot, I know, and they've since re-iterated the fact that the dual-screen handheld line will co-exist with the Switch for the foreseeable future.

And you might need to see the trailer for the new Super Mario game coming out next holiday season to get it, but this is pretty damn funny:

Spud Runner
Site Admin

Postby Ellsworth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:51 pm

^ :D

Return to Games