Spud Raider
Site Admin

Diablo 3!

Postby ZeroGuardian » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:17 pm

HOLY SHIT! Blizzard is actually making a move in the right direction for once! :D

Thats right, Blizzard has officially announced they are canceling the auction house and will fix the Loot system with the upcoming expansion to their game. I may actually be able to enjoy this game again! The auction house has been my biggest complaint since day 1. March 18th, 2014 can't come soon enough!

If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Flyby Spud

Re: Blizzard Closing Down Diablo 3 Auction House!

Postby LORD-ORION » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:51 pm

I really hated the D3 demo, I literally dozed off playing it (and jolted up when I slouched forward)

Although this is good news, the fact that the Crusader is pretty much an incarnation of the Paladin from D2, and that my beloved Necromancer has not made a return yet means I REFUSE to play this game...

Also, only 1 new class in the expansions? WTF is this cheapness.

Maybe next expansion.... there better be a Ranger and a Nercomancer....that's right MOFOs, 2 pet classes. :D

...yeah, I'm on the rum right now...

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 am

I'm bouncing between indifference and slight disappointment. Most of my gear came from the AH because I couldn't get anything useful to drop. I'm sure with killing the AH they'll tweak the loot system. At the very least I'm sure it'll get tweaked with the new Xpack. At the very least, I'm glad the real money one is gone. That one never set well with me.

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby ZeroGuardian » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah the new Xpac will come with their new "Loot 2.0" system. And current news is that some of the improvements to the loot system will come before the Xpac is released.

Here is a video with more details:
If you make it idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.

Space Fry

Postby infamous » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 pm

I don't understand the nostalgic snobbishness (im bitter about no necro too, but WD sates that well enough), but I'm glad the AH is going. As much as I enjoyed shopping for gear, from the beginning it would be clear that the game's economy would go to the power players :-(

At least now we'll have a chance to get decent drops without having to grind all day....
The artist formerly known as darkportal_4

Flyby Spud

Postby Egg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Meh. Diablo III was a completely forgettable game. It's just a fluffed-up and reskinned version of Diablo II from 12 years earlier --- which itself was just a reskin of the original game from 1996. With each iteration they lost a considerable amount of the mood and ambiance of the game.

I urge any fan of the series to go on Youtube and watch some videos of the original game. You will be shocked at how stark the difference is. The original had tons of atmosphere and D3 has virtually nothing.

Flyby Spud

Postby One Fan To Another » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:28 am

Egg wrote:Meh. Diablo III was a completely forgettable game. It's just a fluffed-up and reskinned version of Diablo II from 12 years earlier --- which itself was just a reskin of the original game from 1996. With each iteration they lost a considerable amount of the mood and ambiance of the game.

I urge any fan of the series to go on Youtube and watch some videos of the original game. You will be shocked at how stark the difference is. The original had tons of atmosphere and D3 has virtually nothing.

x1billioninfinitytrillion

Spud Raider
Site Admin

Postby FiSH » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 am

I just played demo on PS3 and loved it. It's graphically inferior to the PC in every way, but it sure looks great on my tv.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 pm

FiSH wrote:I just played demo on PS3 and loved it. It's graphically inferior to the PC in every way, but it sure looks great on my tv.

I played it too just to see how it compares. I was worried about how the interface would work but they've done a pretty damned good job. It's hard to tell what you can loot or smash at times and the graphics are slightly rough compared to PC but still look good. I really, really don't like how they've done the inventory though. I'm not sure of a better way it could be done but the PC version is better to me. I'd say it's worth checking out on PS3 if you don't have it on PC.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I have heard good things about the console version, that it's nice to have offline play with 4 people in local co-op.... But shouldn't they add those features to the fucking PC version? Goddamn, they even get a free dodge roll ability (doesn't use your class-specific resource) that COMPLETELY changes how you play, but because it's meant to enhance gamepad controls, we don't get that, either. Bastards.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:17 am

Since this is the only thread we have about the game and I didn't feel like making a new one, figured I'd put this here...

I'm really liking patch 2.0. The new loot system is definitely an improvement, though it does have its quirks that will hopefully be worked on further. Like all drops and crafted items prioritizing the main stat + vit for whatever character you're playing, meaning you're not going to get anything usable for other toons or even a henchman of a different archetype. They've added tons of new legendaries and rebalanced existing ones (yet again) to have more impact on how you play. A few really cool ones I've seen include bracers that make picking up gold also give you XP, a bow that turns a popular resource-spender skill into a resource-generator, and a chest piece with a ranged thorns effect that scales with weapon damage. And in the spirit of shutting down the auction houses, all legendaries and set pieces are account bound, with the exception of allowing you to trade them for a limited time with people who were grouped with you at the time you found them. Basically they want to prevent black market buying/selling of the most sought-after shit while still letting buddies share some things.

The complete overhaul to game difficulty is AMAZING. First of all, enemies always scale to your level, so you're never penalized for spending too much, or too little, time in any one area. More importantly though, you are no longer forced to run through every act on multiple different difficulty settings in order to reach the level cap and begin your real task of gathering end-game gear and challenging yourself with scaleable additional risk/reward -- you choose at any time what difficulty setting you want to use, so a first-time player can do normal the whole way through, or a veteran with lots of hand-me-down gear and money can twink out an alt and level up insanely fast by upping the difficulty (and thus bonus XP) to match however OP you are. I just made level 28 in under 2 hours, and I'm not even done with Act 1. Although some of that can be attributed to the global 50% XP boost going on leading up to the release of the expansion later this month, not sure if it multiplies everything or is additive with the other boosts (such as +300% from difficulty alone).

They've also completely redesigned the paragon system, which is a way to level up some more after you're done leveling up (crazy, I know). It actually pretty closely resembles the Badass Rank from Borderlands 2 now, in that it's one number that applies to all of your characters, even new ones (but Hardcore is separated) and provides you with points you can spend to provide small boosts to various stats. Unlike Badass Rank, though, you can reset it at any time and experiment with different combinations per character. There's no cap to how many paragon levels you can earn, so just ask our pal Dolynick about how impactful it becomes to your builds when you have upwards of 300 points adding on to your movement speed or crit chance or life regen, etc. It's certainly effective in making you want to keep playing more and more.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to the expansion. They already have a lot of the stuff in there already, but locked away for a couple more weeks. I was quite surprised to see the Crusader on the character creation screen, for example, and then saddened that I couldn't select it... You can also check out the new skills they added that will unlock at levels 61-70, and imagine the possibilities that will open up with the additional tiers of crafting and the entirely new NPC that will let you re-roll specific stats on items. It's pretty effective in-game advertising, lol.

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 am

Spiffy.....I've been playing Hearthstone and noticed a huge D3 patch last week. I figured it was the loot 2.0 thing and prep for the xpack. I've been itching to play again.

Tater Tot

Postby R2Dani » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 am

Was it Loot 2.0? I might reinstall, if so...

But yeah. I kind of thought Blizzard had its heart in the right place when I first heard about the RMAH, but I ended up being so stunned at how boring loot was after the D3 launch that I tuned it out completely. If things have been patched, and item sales are back underground where they (presumably) belong, it might do to take another look.

Now, what really sucks is that they'll never import the console controls to the PC version...

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes, it was Loot 2.0 and Paragon 2.0 that dropped the other week.

Loot 2.0 is a bit of a sidegrade from the best of the best gear in 1.0, but it's generally much more accessible to the self-found grinders. Which is a good thing.

Don't be too concerned about being low paragon level if you're coming back. There was much xp grinding prior to the patch by players trying to be ready to come in at the max possible PLevel at patch day... That was months of playing and endless xp runs. Most active players have about doubled their entry xp already since 2.01 went live. The xp rate is dramatically higher. You will pick up paragon levels pretty quickly if you went on longterm hiatus.

One warning though... If you did settle into a build in v1 do not expect it to still be functional in 2.0. They turned many things about the classes/skills upside down - Especially when it comes to resource generation (fury, AP, etc) to fuel your spender skills. They also just flat-out removed a couple of the more outstanding build-making skills of the original game.

-dolynick

Tater Tot

Postby R2Dani » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Duly noted. I fell off of the wagon early in Nightmare, so I'm not super-concerned about my "build," if you could even call it that, going any more stale than it already was :P

Flyby Spud

Postby jwhx » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:06 am

I don't even recall what my build was. All I know is I'm pretty sure I stole it from Doly and it was working great when I stopped playing. I managed to get through the hardest difficulty. I need to knock a few games off my backlog then fire D3 up again......once I finished getting the patch.

Spud Runner

Space Potatoes in D3

Postby jacobvandy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:53 pm

I created a Space Potatoes group. Anyone can join, so just search for it. Basically it's a chat channel, but you can join multiple community groups and enter/exit their chat at will, independent of your exclusive clan affiliation. Also will give you a list of members that makes it easy to view their profile and heroes, which I find myself doing a lot but wrestling with the friends list in the process.

Space Fry

Re: Space Potatoes in D3

Postby dolynick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am

jacobvandy wrote:I created a Space Potatoes group. Anyone can join, so just search for it. Basically it's a chat channel, but you can join multiple community groups and enter/exit their chat at will, independent of your exclusive clan affiliation. Also will give you a list of members that makes it easy to view their profile and heroes, which I find myself doing a lot but wrestling with the friends list in the process.

I joined it yesterday. Good idea Jacob.

-dolynick

Spud Runner

Re: Diablo 3!

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:16 pm

(I changed the title of the topic to make it more obvious this is a general thread about the game.)

So, it's Season 4 and my Seven-sided Strike/Exploding Palm monk is starting to come together now... HOLY SHIT it's fun! I got pretty lucky with a bunch of the supporting legendary drops, so even though I only have the 4-piece bonus of the new set, I'm already making mince-meat out of Torment 6. If my crits turn on at the right time (I'll explain that in a minute), a boss will just melt down in about a second. :D

Here's all the crazy shit that goes on with this build:

New Uliana's set:
  • 2 pieces - Every third hit of a spirit generator applies Exploding Palm, I'm using the 360-degree AOE one Crippling Wave, so everything gets marked for no cost
  • 4 pieces - Seven-sided Strike deals its total damage with every hit (normally it is about 5000% weapon damage spread over 7 hits, but this means every hit does 5000%)
  • 6 pieces - Seven-sided Strike detonates Exploding Palm, so you don't have to wait for a marked enemy to die in order to make that chain reaction of explosions fill the screen

Supporting legendaries:
  • Lion's Claw fist weapon - Seven-sided Strike hits 14 times instead of 7, which normally works to double the damage that skill does, but also synergizes very well with Uliana's 4-piece bonus to result in each hit doing QUADRUPLE damage it would be doing otherwise
  • Fist of Az'Turrasq weapon - increases Exploding Palm detonation damage by up to 100%, pretty straightforward
    multiplicative bonus, doubles the numbers you'll see in the aforementioned chain reaction
  • Flow of Eternity 2H weapon - reduces the cooldown of Seven-sided Strike by up to 60% for maximum spammability when combined with the rune that itself reduces cooldown to 14 seconds from 30 and some CDR on gear, they actually had to nerf SSS a tad in PTR because spamming it so much led to permanent invulnerability while the animation played out over and over again (now the cooldown doesn't start until the animation ends)
  • Gungdo Gear bracers - Exploding Palm detonations apply Exploding Palm, which basically means any pack of enemies you already marked will stay that way, so you can keep detonating them with SSS
  • Madstone head piece - Seven-sided Strike applies Exploding Palm... Only losers activate Exploding Palm manually, lol, it's on your skill bar to choose which rune it uses and that's it (also, YUP, combined with 6-piece Uliana's bonus, this means SSS will simultaneously apply and detonate!)
  • Binding of the Lost belt - Every hit of Seven-sided Strike gives you up to 3.5% damage reduction for 7 seconds, so 24.5% normally or 49% with Lion's Claw, this buff will pretty much always be active if you have your SSS cooldown reduced to the point of spammability, huge defensive boon

Basically, it's just a goddamned orgy of Exploding Palm marks detonating everywhere while you spam Seven-sided Strike as much as possible, explosions upon explosions until everything is dead. I can't wait to finish my Uliana's set so that I can get to that point and REALLY start kicking ass! I can't even quite wrap my head around how everything interacts, which effect or skill takes priority when the game is figuring out all the EP applications and detonations, but it works wonders and looks like it's super fun.

Oh, and about the crits, this is the new hotness for a lot of builds now thanks to Kanai's Cube allowing you to equip another legendary power from jewelry along with your ideal usage of the Focus/Restraint combo... The ring is called Broken Promises, and it increases your crit chance to 100% for 3 seconds after you make 5 non-critical hits in a row. So for a monk that is hitting so many things so quickly, it procs often enough that it effectively averages out to you having something like a 50-75% crit chance, yet you have NO crit chance bonus on any of your gear. You can't, otherwise it won't proc for you, and the fact that you can't get rid of the inherent 5% crit chance is bad enough, lol. But that clears up a lot of space in your gear for other stats like more Dex or Vit or CDR or whatever, so it's a pretty huge advantage if you can get used to seeing a small number for your sheet damage. :P

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 pm

UPDATE: I now have about 80% of my gear sorted with ideal stats (non-Ancient), including the full Uliana's set, and I jumped at least 15 GR levels' worth of power! Still need the Fist of Az'Turrasq, a Focus ring, and a better amulet (currently using a decent Hellfire, but it has Phys% and I want Cold%). I hadn't even considered it before, but now that I've got the Gungdo Gear power for spreading EP, I swapped out Madstone and am using these Spirit Guard bracers I found that give you 40% damage reduction when you hit with a generator, which helps even more with being able to face-tank mobs.

Seriously, aside from applying EP with your generator and then smashing SSS every 3-4 seconds, everything you have in this build is just stacking tons of DR and dodge to the point where you'll see your sheet Toughness shoot up to between 150 and 250 million. Since that includes up to a 75% chance to dodge, it's not as solid a number as if it were all armor and life, but it is still VERY hard to die when you're vigilant about having all the various defenses active. Although, I do still suffer the occasional respawn from a mob's death-splosion when I'm not careful enough in my squishy out-of-combat state. :D

The reason I came to post again, though, is to rave about Kanai's Cube, oh my god... Forget extracting legendary powers and equipping three of them (we all know how awesome that is), it is SO much easier now to deck out a character from scratch! You still have the usual ways of finding gear, like running Nephalem Rifts where there's a higher legendary drop rate and spending blood shards with Kadala to try for something specific, but two main things make it even more painless: upgrading rare items and converting set items.

If you've got the crafting materials, you actually have a reason NOT to auto-salvage yellow items. You can throw a level 70 rare into the Cube along with 50 each of the white/blue/yellow mats and 25 Death's Breath and turn it into a guaranteed legendary of that same type, including set items and a chance for it to be Ancient! I got my helm and shoulder set pieces this way, and intend to try for weapons and amulets after I farm up some more Breath. I think it might even be cheaper this way, considering how expensive those are when you buy them with shards (75 for weapon and 100 for ammy) and the fact that there's no chance to get blue or yellow shit back for your investment.

Converting set items is a bit more expensive at 10 Death's Breath and 10 Forgotten Souls, but it can be very useful in a pinch to save you farming for days to get that last piece you need to take your build to the next level. Especially if you're on a non-seasonal character with a stash full of mats saved up and you want to try out one of the new or rebalanced sets. The only downside here is that there's no chance for the resulting item to be Ancient; that sort of thing is reserved for the grand-daddy of endgame min-maxing Cube functions, reforging a legendary item at the cost of 5 of each legendary material and 50 Forgotten Souls. And even then, there's no guarantee the result won't be shitty. :crazy:

Spud Raider

Postby Synchronicity » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:51 am

I have a bit of a noob question but like what's the goal of grinding through Diablo at the endgame when you've already beat the story? Aren't you just doing the same stuff over and over for better "quality" loot but minus the MMO components that would make such a metric even matter?

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:02 am

Short answer, yes, you are pretty much doing the same things over and over. But they're adding so many new build-enabling items lately that you can come back to the game every so often and experiment with whole new gameplay experiences. Diablo still has the best combat of any ARPG out there, so for me, it hardly feels like grinding when I'm able to play a class in a way that either hasn't been a viable option in the past or might even involve a brand new mechanic. Hell, patch 2.3 last week added so much new stuff (including actual content, a new area with new monsters and lore and events), I'm legitimately surprised they didn't charge for it.

Plus, since they added Adventure Mode with the expansion, you no longer have to play through the same story repeatedly. After you beat the game once, you can freely explore the whole game world with a set of objectives that is shuffled each session, and you're rewarded with extra goodies for completing them all. Or you can play through randomized dungeons called rifts that scramble tileset, lighting, weather, monster types, etc. and spawn a big boss after killing a set amount of enemies. Along with the more recent changes of letting you set your difficulty level on the fly (again, avoiding the need to repeat story mode), it's a completely different game than it was at launch in terms of how you're able to spend your time.

If you need MMO-ish metrics to validate your time spent, they do have leaderboards that tie in with what are called Greater Rifts, which effectively rank how strong your character is in a randomized, time-limited environment against everyone else using that class, both solo and in groups. The Top 1000 people in each category are publicly visible (otherwise you can see where your friends are, no matter their ranking), so there is that aspect of competition at higher levels. You can view their player profiles and see what gear they used to set their records and get ideas for builds from the "pros."

Then you have the Seasons that are basically like the ladders of old, where every few months you can start over fresh and compete on brand new leaderboards with exclusive items. In addition to the Greater Rifts, Seasons offer a variety of unique challenges and people are ranked on how long it takes them to complete it, so in those instances it's like a race that may last hours or days or weeks, depending on how tough it is to accomplish. There are also a ton of new achievements every time, which will reward you with exclusive account goodies when you complete them. Everything you do in a Season rolls over into the non-Season ladder after it's finished, too, so you're not wasting any time or effort by participating.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:29 pm

They posted a Patch 2.3 developer Q&A on the website that has some interesting stuff in there, particularly about what they're working on for 2.4. Here's my favorite bit, a revamp of an utterly shitty DH set:

The Shadow's Mantle set is the redesign that I'm the most excited about for 2.4 so far. The idea of a melee-weapon oriented build that doesn't involve bows / xbows has always been in the back of my mind. Here's what it currently looks like:

2pc - While equipped with a melee weapon, all damage is increased by 1000%.

4pc - Shadow Power gains all runes and lasts forever.

6pc - Impale deals 30000% weapon damage to the first enemy it hits.

The idea is that the set is extremely strong on single-target damage, but weak on AoE. To help with that, a new dagger will have the power "Every second, the damage of your next Fan of Knives is increased by 250-300%." To help with movement, a pair of bracers has the power: "After using Impale, Vault costs no resource for 2 seconds." That item will allow you to Vault into position to Impale the high-value targets.

Additionally, we're also allowing Demon Hunters to use melee weapons with quivers because the fantasy of this quick-moving assassin build is about speed, not walking around with a shield ;)

Flyby Spud

Postby quietenigma » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:49 am

Jesus Christ, Uliana's set is fuckin' insane. Soloing the higher Grifts is hella fun, challenging and rewarding when you're constantly ensuring your survival. But like you said earlier, it's essentially just boils down to mashing that SSS. :x

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:18 am

Yeah, that's why I've been rolling other classes and trying out some of the other new or re-worked sets. Uliana's Monk is very powerful and pretty easy to play, but to be truly effective means being patient and deliberate with SSS, making sure to fire it off only when Broken Promises has procced. Because there some RNG involved in that, you are never able to settle in to a smooth gameplay rhythm, plus it's annoying staring at your character sheet all the time... You burn out on that playstyle after a while, it can feel like too much work. Good for pushing Grifts and leveling gems, but it's too slow for farming.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Double caches this weekend, chaps! Who's up for some bounty farming? :))

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:27 pm

jacobvandy wrote:Double caches this weekend, chaps! Who's up for some bounty farming? :))

I was thinking I would at least try to do a little farming to take advantage of the bonus this weekend. I need all types of mats and bounties are now decent for that on top of the new cache/cube mats.

-dolynick

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:29 am

Some really epic shit coming in patch 2.4! They went through everything at BlizzCon today, check out Diablo Fans for a full run-down, but here's a list of the main points:

• Set Dungeons, static challenge areas tailored to individual playstyles of all 24 armor sets, gives unique rewards styled after each class, and ultimately a new set of wings
  • Overhauling the bonuses of 10 armor sets to better balance them against the most popular ones, including Thorns for Crusader, the previously mentioned melee weapon set for DH, buffs to Marauder's, Firebird's, Might of the Earth, Akkhan's, Monkey King's, Jade Harvester, and a ring set that can only be used WITHOUT armor sets to majorly boost damage for each Ancient piece you have equipped
  • 50+ new and revamped legendary items, including some neat shoulders that buff DPS and toughness by 25% while channeling
  • Cleaning up the buff status bar by including information for most always-on buffs on the skill bar itself
  • Damage numbers abbreviated, legendary tooltips say whether you've cubed them or not, Death's Breath are a different color with small legendary-like beacon
  • Three new areas (!) including another whole new zone like was added with 2.3, and two expansions to existing areas, within Leoric's Manor and the Ruins of Sescheron
  • Season Rebirth feature lets you revert an existing character to level 1 for participation in a season, no more having to delete characters if your slots are all full
  • No more season-exclusive legendaries, Season Journey will award a full 6-piece set of armor
  • MORE STASH SPACE, one will be purchasable immediately, more can be earned via Season Journeys up to a total of 10
  • New cube recipe consumes a legendary gem to add extra main stat to an item
  • XP bonus from items is severely nerfed at level 70 to slow down insane Paragon farming, but all monsters will give 50% more experience
  • Monster health in greater rifts will be reduced for groups smaller than 4, nearly half of what it is now for solo players
  • "Action Combat" system created for console versions is being implemented on PC, you get temporary buffs whenever you get those massacre, destruction, etc. streaks
  • Spend gold to empower a greater rift and you get more gem upgrade chances when you clear it
  • 175+ new bounties added to adventure mode, and a new timed challenge called Bounty Grounds

The current season will be ending in December, so patch 2.4 and Season 5 will probably happen in January.

Spud Runner

Postby jacobvandy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Just revealed at BlizzCon, NECROMANCER is coming next year!

Unfortunately it's not an expansion, they're going to sell the class on its own with some other petty extras. However this also comes with news that they're going to add a "Classic" mode that re-creates the original Diablo in this game, including old-school music and graphics-degrading visual filters (not kidding, lol). Plus more explorable areas coming soon, similar to what they've done previously with Acts 3 and 5. More details on that stuff should be coming soon with proper announcements.

Space Fry

Postby dolynick » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:04 pm

I fixed your vid, doly. Ya gotta remove the "s" from "https" to get the video to post. - Ellsworth

Return to Games